March 2012 Moms
Options

Space heater

I feel like DD's room is cold even though we have the heat set to 71. It is getting down into the 40s at night here and I worry about her being warm enough. Does anyone use a space heater in the baby's room? 

Being an ex-property insurance underwriter, I freak out about the fire hazard. Thoughts? 

Re: Space heater

• Options

Not yet, (still in the 90s here during the day!) but we will once it gets cold.  DH and I use one in our room so that we don't have to run the central heating all night when it's cold, and we'll get one for DS' room as well.  I didn't have to worry about it before because he was still sleeping in our room, but you have reminded me that I need to get one!

This is the one we have for our room and I'll probably get the same one for DS' room:  https://www.amazon.com/Lasko-751320-Ceramic-Heater-Control/dp/B000TTSXNI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1348505148&sr=8-2&keywords=lasko+space+heater

image Image and video hosting by TinyPic Kristina's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) 
    We go together like a wink and a smile. June 27, 2009 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    52 books in 2015?           
    image  Image and video hosting by TinyPic   
  • Options
    I check her toes and her nose when I go to bed for the night, if either are cold to the touch, I put on her socks and/or a hat and/or a sleep sack.  I wouldn't put a space heater in her room because of the fire hazard and because it might dry the air out too much.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

It's been in the 40s/sometimes 30s at night here for awhile. If it is going to be cold, I put DD in a long-sleeved onesie, footie pajamas, socks, and a fleece bag pjs. Seems to be fine. We aren't turning the heat on yet.

https://www.amazon.com/Carters-Fleece-Sleepsack-Months-Print/dp/B0087U4O70/ref=sr_1_2?s=baby&ie=UTF8&qid=1348510708&sr=1-2&keywords=carters+sleep+sack

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Married: 1/2008 ~ DD#1: 3/2012
    TTC #2: Started 4/2014       BFP 7/30/15   MC 8/3/15       BFP 9/4/2015   EDD 5/16/2016

• Options
    Right now we are using footie pajamas. I do worry about space heaters because there is always that risk. we used them in our dorm while I was in college. Those things lasted forever and I never heard of one causing a fire. But in my experience the worry was always there and they do dry out the air very badly. We will not be using one. Our apartment is small enough that heat shouldn't be a problem.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    We is onsies with the footies and our system is set on auto. We keep it 72 degrees in our house if it falls below the heat comes on if it goes above the AC comes on.
  • Options
    We use onsies with the footies and our system is set on auto. We keep it 72 degrees in our house if it falls below the heat comes on if it goes above the AC comes on.
  • Options

I agree with the PP about it not only being a potential hazard, but it will dry out the room. I have to run one in my office (which is actually a fairly large space) and it gets very dry in there very quickly. It's normally not even dry in our house but Alexander picked up a little cold and his poor little nose was so crusty the one morning that he woke up, I've started running a humidifier in there at night. It seems like it helped but he's also getting better. I would think a space heater would really exacerbate a similar situation. 

I wouldn't worry about her getting too cold. Just dress her appropriately. Depending on the temp, I'm constantly switching between cotton or fleece pajamas, short sleeved or long sleeved, footed or not footed. The same with sleep sacks. The suggested nursery temp is what like 68- 72? Does it get too much colder in the room than that? 

• Options
    We have been keeping the house at 71. Our house was built in 1946 so the vents aren't that great and I think it feels colder. We do have new windows so it isn't drafty. I'm going to buy some fleece footies tomorrow. I want to get her a wearable blanket, but I'm not sure she'll stand for it. She really travels a lot while she is sleeping!
  • Options

imagelisadfox:
    We have been keeping the house at 71. Our house was built in 1946 so the vents aren't that great and I think it feels colder. We do have new windows so it isn't drafty. I'm going to buy some fleece footies tomorrow. I want to get her a wearable blanket, but I'm not sure she'll stand for it. She really travels a lot while she is sleeping!

The wearable blanket shouldn't prohibit movement. My son is all over the place in his. As long as it isn't too big or too small, there's plenty of fabric to allow them to move freely without getting twisted up.  I like them because it helps keep legs from getting stuck between the crib bars, too! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"