Secondary IF
Options

HSG - what to expect?

I have an appt for an HSG next week.  For those that have had this test done, what should I expect?  I know to take some ibuprofen 30 minutes beforehand and to expect some bleeding after.  Will I be back to normal the same day?  Any other info you wished you knew ahead of time??

TIA!

Re: HSG - what to expect?

• Options

I felt "full" and uncomfortable for about an hour or so after.  Bring a pad as the dye will leak out for a while after the procedure.  As the dye leaked out, I started to feel more comfortable and "normal".

Hope the procedure goes well, and they don't find anything blocked. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic 

DD conceived after 3 years of ttc.
    MFI - DH had varicocele repair and took Clomid to get DD b. 02/2010

TTC #2 since 6/2010
    10/2012 DH diagnosed with Epilepsy
    A few failed IUIs summer 2012 and 2013. 
    DH taking clomid and waiting to see if he needs another vericocele repair. 
    Hoping for a 2015 baby or babies. 
    Wishing, hoping, waiting.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Trying to Conceive Event tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    With mine I had a small blockage. The procedure was not bad, mostly pressure. I cramped some afterwards and bleed/spotted the rest of the day but was fine the next day!
    Carly
    (Former UN: iloveshanej)

Birdie born 05/01/2007
    Rainbow Surprise Baby due 05/26/2017                                          

Potato Launcher

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks ladies!
  • Options
    I didn't think it was that bad at all.  i took 3 ibuprofen and was definitely glad i went with 3 instead of 2.  during the procedure there was about 30 seconds where it was pretty uncomfortable, they had to blow some air up in my uterus because it is tilted backwards and the dye wasn't flowing correctly due to it.  that was the worst part but overall the entire procedure took 2-3 minutes.  definitely be prepared for leaking and some bleeding for a few days after, but i was back to normal activities that day.  in fact i was babysitting for a friend's 2 kiddos (plus my kiddo) at the time so went straight to do that afterwards.  they will probably make you take a pregnancy test before it unless you are absolutely sure you are not preggo.     
    TTC baby #2 since July 2011, DX: low AMH
    BFP 1/21/13, blighted ovum m/c 2/12/13
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I was worried too. It was quick. I forgot the ibuprofen. I wish I had it. I was back to normal after. Good luck!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I had mine on 09/6, I say if you are relaxed during the test the cramping seems much less. I had a little spotting for about two hours afterward but after that I was fine. I just took Advil and the antibiotic the prescribed. I really didn't find the test to be that bad but I didn't have any blockages or anything. Good luck!
    Jazzerbabe Mom to DS Jacob 11/09/2007 TTC since October 2009 BFP 11/18/2012 M/C 01/30/2013
  • Options
    Mine hurt like a mofo.
    ...just saying...
  • Options

I've never had one, but i'm an xray tech and have seen a few done when I worked in a hospital.  From what I have witnessed, if there's a blockage the person seems to have more pain.  If there isn't a blockage it's mostly described as pressure/fullness -- just as some of the ladies here have described it.   Just keep in mind, excess fluid is being pushed somewhere where it's not normally intentionally placed :)

Oh and I think it was policy at the hospital i worked at to do a preggo test before this was done, even if you were positive you weren't pg.

Good luck!

BFP#4 3/17/14 - rainbow Baby BOY arrived 11/10/14 !!

DX: Uterine Septum - Resection 9/5/13 || MTHFR Hetero A1298C || My Chart

image    image

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"