Eco-Friendly Family

Organic baby products..help!

Hi! I'm a FTM to a sweet 6 week old little girl and I'm trying to implement a more green lifestyle. We do exclusively cloth diaper and I use organic baby wipe juice and diaper rash cream. However I'm totally lost when it comes to other organic baby products. I recently donated all my j and j baby products. What lotions, baby wash,  shampoos, etc. do you use? Can these products be bought in a store, or do they all need to be ordered online? What do I need to look for and avoid when reading labels. Any resources would be greatly appreciated, thanks :)

crunchymamablog.blogspot.com

Re: Organic baby products..help!

• We mostly use Dr. Bronner's Castile soap (diluted and in a foaming pump bottle) for body wash and shampoo.  It's available at Target.  We use coconut oil, Aveeno (if it's SUPER dry), or CJ's Butter for lotions.  The CJ's is the only one that's not available in our local stores.  We use CJ's Butter or coconut oil for diaper rashes.  I often refer to this site when looking at new products.  The lower the score, the better.

https://www.ewg.org/skindeep/ 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • We like Weleda calendula baby wash. I don't need to use any lotions or creams on my son's skin, but occasionally I use a bit of coconut oil on a red bum (teething!). We also use cloth diapers and wipes. Have you tried using plain water instead of wipe juice?

EMAB products are supposed to be great, I'd like to try their baby wash but I love the way Weleda smells, so.... maybe next time :) Oh, and both lines are available at my local health food store.

• I rarely use soap on my DS who is 13 months. Sometimes I'll use locally made soap to get the dirt off his legs, but other than that soap is a rarity. I have coconut oil for moisturizing and diaper rash, which is rare as I also CD. I half practice ayerveda and only use soap on my "pits and parts" and have gotten away from using shampoo.
  • Safemama.com is an awesome resource. We use a lot of BB's also. It's not perfect but it's easy to find and affordable. We use weleda toothpaste. I still have some California baby soap and will finish it, although they changed ingredients. I'd stay away from J and J includes Aveeno, even the "natural" line.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • imagetjkdlhb:

Earth Mama Angel Baby products are amazing.  rated 0 on EWG.org database

https://www.ewg.org/skindeep/search.php?query=earth+mama+angel+baby&h=Go

https://www.earthmamaangelbaby.com/

this. we also use Dr. Bronners soaps for our "bar soap" and his soap diluted in foam bottles for hand use.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker *First RE visit 5/10 *B/W & SA Normal! 6/10 *Laprascopy - Removed septum and cyst 7/10 *50 mg Clomid 8/21 +Trigger 9/1 = BFN *50 mg Clomid 9/17 = No response *100 mg Clomid 9/29 + Trigger 10/8= BFP!! *Beta 1= 297 *Beta 2= 612! *It's a Boy! EDD July 4th 2011 *Surprise!! Natural BFP! Beta 1=306, Beta 2= 1100! EDD Aug 18th 2012! IT's a BOY!
  • Earth Mama Angel Baby!!  Check out anything you are thinking of buying on ewg.org including stuff for yourself!  You will be surprised about how bad some stuff really is!  GL!
  • I love Loving Naturals.  Everything I've ordered from them has a score of "0" on EWG.  We use the unscented hemp lotion and the unscented baby body wash.  You can order from their website or Amazon.  Either way you get free shipping (no minimum purchase).
  • I use Ava Anderson Non-Toxic on myself, my children, and our house!  All of the Ava products score "0" (except for the sunscreen which can't if it has zinc oxide) on the EWG cosmetic database.  I love the products so much I signed up to be a consultant!  I would be happy to send you or anyone else samples of the products free of charge!!  the most important thing is to read labels, hopefully soon all companies will be required to list all ingredients on their labels!
  • imagejdrinner:
    I use Ava Anderson Non-Toxic on myself, my children, and our house!  All of the Ava products score "0" (except for the sunscreen which can't if it has zinc oxide) on the EWG cosmetic database.  I love the products so much I signed up to be a consultant!  I would be happy to send you or anyone else samples of the products free of charge!!  the most important thing is to read labels, hopefully soon all companies will be required to list all ingredients on their labels!

Ditto!! We use it too, but if you want to check the rating on other products go to the website.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

CafeMom Tickers

• Ava Anderson seems great but is soooo expensive!

• Another vote for Burt's Bees baby products.  I like them a lot, especially the fragrances.
  • I love the Shea Moisture brand (can find at Target) for myself, and they make great baby products. I'll probably buy that when LO comes.

Whatever you do, check anything out on ewg.org as others have said.

Happy shopping!
  • I used EMAB when my little ones were babies. I also like Burt's Bees and California Baby. I also by bar soaps from a local soap maker that makes a very mild olive oil soap. You can probably find some good ones on etsy!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Another vote for California baby and dr bronners!
  • Its hard to find stuff that is "safe", smells nice and still cleans well!! I've experimented with so many products when I first made the switch to natural products. What an adventure!!!

I've now stuck with:

Alba products for my husband and me
    Jason's shampoo and conditioner for my older daughter
    Dr. Bronners soaps for the whole family
    California Baby sunscreen (I still need to find something for my husband and I since we'd go through the tubes of CB way too fast if my whole family needed it)
    Weleda diaper ointment
    Alba non-pretrolium jelly for a diaper barrier ointment
    Seventh Generation cleaning products

still looking for a good moisturizer for baby skin that doesn't smell too herbal

Best of luck! I hope you find products that you like!

• Ok, I know this is an ancient post, but in case people are still reading it: I really like Burt's Bees and Honest Company, but the Earth Mama Angel Baby lotion is absolutely amazing! It smells so good and is very moisturizing. I even use it myself sometimes. And, as PPs said, a 0 on EWG! Can't get any better than that!
    BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • We really like Weleda.  I find Earth Mama Angel Baby smells too perfumey for me.

Do NOT support Honest Company after what they put Honest Toddler author through!  Seriously, google it!  There's an article on Huffington Post even.  It was just disgusting.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"