October 2012 Moms
Options

Shrinking Baby Clothes (post wash)

Though I washed on cold and tumble dried low, the 10 outfits I washed have all shrunk. The newborn outfits are now preemie sized. The 0-3 months are now newborn sized. I'm sick over this, as I took the tags off and threw them away, so I can't return these items. They're mostly shower gifts and mostly Carter's, by the way. One set of onesies, by Lamaze, actually came apart at the seams during the wash, so the onesies are in tatters, plus they shrunk.

The blankets all shrunk as well. In fact, everything shrunk except for the muslin items. Now I'm afraid to wash the fleece items, the crib sheets etc.

Should I buy two sizes up to account for shrinkage? Or did I get a bad batch of baby clothes?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Shrinking Baby Clothes (post wash)

• Options
    I would blame it on a bad batch of clothes. Also the clothes will stretch when LO wears them. Maybe fluff dry no heat next time?

• Options

hang dry or use heat and avoid tumble - i used tumble dry a few times and my clothes always shrinks (maybe i need to learn how ot use the tumble dry properly?) ....

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers BabyFetus Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageBronzeMama:

Though I washed on cold and tumble dried low, the 10 outfits I washed have all shrunk. The newborn outfits are now preemie sized. The 0-3 months are now newborn sized. I'm sick over this, as I took the tags off and threw them away, so I can't return these items. They're mostly shower gifts and mostly Carter's, by the way. One set of onesies, by Lamaze, actually came apart at the seams during the wash, so the onesies are in tatters, plus they shrunk.

The blankets all shrunk as well. In fact, everything shrunk except for the muslin items. Now I'm afraid to wash the fleece items, the crib sheets etc.

Should I buy two sizes up to account for shrinkage? Or did I get a bad batch of baby clothes?

thats odd, I wash in warm and tumble on medium and I've never had shrinkage issues.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I wash in warm and dry on low.  100% cotton does tend to shrink a little but the clothes usually still fit.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I haven't had issues with shrinking baby clothes either. But I never put fleece in the dryer or baby blankets. Not because of shrinkage but because I guess I burned one oft favorate fleeces once in the dryer. It was sort of melted or had hard spots in places. I hope I'm explaining it well. And I had 2 blankets that dd likes so when she was in daycare I sent the double and the dc washed and dried the blanket and it was no longer soft. It was rough in spots. So I don't dry those items. I bet the clothes that shrunk will still fit you lo.
  • Options
    Hmm maybe a bad batch? I washed everything on gentle and dried on medium/ low and had no issue - all Carter's as well. 
    BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    thats weird, I've never had a huge problem with shrinkage and baby clothes.  I wash on warm and tumble dry on the delicate setting.  Are you sure they're really premie sized?  Maybe they just might just look really small?  If you have receipts, I know my local carters store is really good about returns without tags on.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I hang dry most of my clothes but refuse to do this with baby clothes. I also buy tons of Carter's in baby and toddler sizes. I have never had any problems.
    Birthday

• Options

Hmm...I have never had a shrinking problem with Carters either...I just use tumble dry medium heat on all of my clothes.

I know this is a weird thing, but this actually happened to me...check the water lines on your washer.  Mine were installed incorrectly, and when i was washing on cool, it was coming out HOT and some of my own stuff shrank!

Also, I have found that both Gerber onesies and Lamaze onesies SUCK.  The only ones I buy now are Carters or Gap.

photo IMG_6758_zps3fe7e628.jpg
  • Options
    we use the delicate cycle for drying and washing.  Just don't dry the clothes till they're hot, it's ok if they're a little damp.

• Options

Interesting. 

I've washed all my LOs clothes (HOARDS of clothes...I thought it would never end and I HATE washing clothes) and did them all on the warm/warm setting with the washer and medium heat (tumble) with the dryer. I had minimal shrinkage, and those that look like they did, will stretch back out once LO has them on.

I agree with PP. Hang the remainder of the clothes to dry if you're really concerned. You can never go wrong with that! 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

I took a washed 0-3 and put it up against the unwashed 0-3 and the NB size. the washed 0-3 was smaller than the NB. It will drive me nuts to try and and line dry clothes in a Chicago winter. I know cotton shrinks but this is ridiculous.

Plus, some of those Target brand cotton receiving blankets? They curled up at the ends and whatnot. Terrible quality. i didn't expect to have to iron a cotton blanket.

• Options
    imagejillybean800:

Hmm...I have never had a shrinking problem with Carters either...I just use tumble dry medium heat on all of my clothes.

I know this is a weird thing, but this actually happened to me...check the water lines on your washer.  Mine were installed incorrectly, and when i was washing on cool, it was coming out HOT and some of my own stuff shrank!

Also, I have found that both Gerber onesies and Lamaze onesies SUCK.  The only ones I buy now are Carters or Gap.

All of this. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"