Natural Birth
Options

In awe of you ladies

who decide to have a med free birth. With my first two I had an epi and loved it. This time I ended up having a med free birth as by the time we got to the hospital I was 9 cm. I personally found it horrible and felt several times during the very quick delivery that I was going to pass out.

So I just wanted to say that I think you ladies how have chosen this for past/upcoming births, I am in awe of your strength.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: In awe of you ladies

• Options

I think it's very different to choose and prepare for natural birth than to get one by surprise. Smile

• Options
    Not to be argumentative or anything, but not all of us chose medfree because we were brave or whatever. Everyone has different fears and hangups. I for one chose a medfree homebirth because I really really do not like hospitals and just never felt comfortable with some of the standard hospital procedures. I told my midwife many times before the birth that if I had to be transferred to hospital for any reason, I wanted to go straight to csection and not have to risk going through medicated labour, assisted delivery, internal fetal monitoring, pitocin, episiotomy, or anything else that often goes hand in hand with a hospital birth. I don't see myself as someone to be "in awe" of I see myself as someone who made a decision aimed at reducing my fears, which is no different than someone who chose drugs because they feared the pain.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Congratulations on the birth of your third child!

I wanted to say that I agree with pp that there is difference between mentally and physically planning for a med-free birth and just being 'thrown' into it.  Also everyone feels things differently.  For some labor might be excruciatingly painful, for others like me labor was just very intense, but I can tell you I feared the pain of an epi more than I feared continuing med-free.  

I think anyone who brings a child in this world should be applauded and we should all be in awe of the miracle of life!  It's not easy, no matter how you cut it, so well done mama! 

• Options

I agree with pp that planning to go med-free and it just happening are very different.

I also think everyone experiences the pain differently/ the pain may well be more intense for some. I never once thought I was going to pass out. Sure it hurt, but it felt manageable.

I don't think I'm tougher or braver than the average woman, I think I've had manageable straight forward births. 

Also completely agree with pp, every birth is hard work, and intense in its own way, and it's an amazing journey no matter what the details.

Congratulations on your new wee one!!!! 

Elizabeth 5yrs old Jane 3yrs old

• Options
    Thanks ladies. Everything you have said is true, I just never even considered a natural birth this time around and with my first that went out the window fairly quickly.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I had wanted an epidural throughout my entire pregnancy, and when it came down to it, when I was in the hospital I progressed so fast that an epidural was pointless, so I chose to do it med free.  That was definitely a surprise. haha

Our next baby I will for sure plan med-free from the beginning.  It was quite amazing, and I would love to be more "prepared" for it, as in more breathing techniques and relaxation techniques, more time to take a hot shower, maybe use an exercise ball.

Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage
  • Options
    Congrats on your last birth, but I have found that quick deliveries (natural ones especially) are very different than a text-book prepared natural delivery - so you deserve a little credit yourself!
    Two boys already - ages 5 and 3...

...baby #3 is here...

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"