School-Aged Children

Books about mythology for 5 yr. old

I would like to start reading my daughter some very simple stories from various mythologies (Greek, Roman, Norse, American Indian, etc.).

I'm doing some searches to find books or short story collections, but wondered if anyone here would happen to have any good book recommendations that would be age appropriate?

TIA for any ideas you have!

Re: Books about mythology for 5 yr. old

• Usborne Books had some great mythologies series.

https://e0699.myubam.com/search?q=myth

I'm not selling this I had gone to a party a couple years ago and bought this for my son.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Mary Pope Osborne wrote a good children's version of the Odyssey.  I read it to my son when he was about 5, and he really enjoyed it.

D'Aulaires Book of Greek Mythology is a good picture book for kids that has the basic stories.  There's also a series of graphic novels based in Greek myth.  My son has really enjoyed them, but they're too scary/violent for a 5 y/o.  He was 7 when he got into them.

Check Amazon! 

High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • Loading the player...
  • Noah loves mythology.  He started off with D'Aulaires book of Greek Myths.  There are alot of good books from all types of mythology at the library.                             It is probably a little old for her, but Kate McMullan has a cute series called Myth-O-Mania.  It isn't one hundred percent accurate, but it a cute series based on the stories from Hades point of view and it has the basics of the stories.  It seems like he read another series when he first started reading mythology, but I can't remember right now.  If I think of it I will let you know.

Kelly, Mom to Noah 8.27.05 (born at 26 weeks)
  • Thanks everyone!  I appreciate the suggestions!  Do please let me know KellyMichelle if you remember the other one.  :)

BTW - I'm heading to Baytown tomorrow morning briefly.  M and I will probably stop by Snowflake Donuts before heading out to visit relatives who are going to be in Galveston for the weekend.  :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"