February 2013 Moms
Options

For those of your who have already registered...

How many items on your registry/registries combined?

I have a close friend who is due in December and I've been stalking her registry. She has 1, and it has about 50 items on it, including a PNP, monitor, high chair, and infant seat.

I have two, and combined, I have 90 some items. This doesn't even include a PNP, high chair, monitor, glider, or infant seat because I have already purchased them myself or acquired through hand me downs.

I'm just trying to see if I'm being ridiculous with the amount of items, because some registries I've seen have over 100 items on it, so I know I'm not totally absurd, but what's considered "average" for a FTM?

BabyFruit Ticker

2012 Reading Challenge

2012 Reading Challenge
Stacy has read 24 books toward her goal of 35 books.
hide

Re: For those of your who have already registered...

• Options
    I have about 150 items combined on both my registries. But this includes all the "tiny" stuff like lotion and diaper rash cream as well as the big ticket items. Whenever I'm invited to showers (bridal and baby) I always found it to be extremely helpful to have a lot to choose from in a wide range of prices. So I think 100-200 items is a good amount.
  • Options

id say im closer to the 50 range and here is why:

For one, I am taking certain things from my sister, like the swing, bassinet, boppy seat.  My  grandmother also bought us our bedding, so none of that is on there.

I am choosing not to register for the little things that are 2.99 ea, bc for one, the bigger items are really what i need, the smaller i can afford myself and also, you dont know what type of bottles/pacifiers, etc, your baby will take to. It took my sister probably 4 different types before my nephew would take...so I would take that stuff off. Also, i registered for onesies and a few sleep sacks but otherwise kept clothes and receiving blankets to a minimum.  Those are the gifts people LOVE to bring when they visit you, so you will have plenty . No need to waste registry space on it in my opinion. 

Keep in mind, if its on there there is a good chance someone will buy it, so if its not something you 100% need or want..take it off and save it for a later time. You may get gift cards you can spend on the smaller stuff , or duplicates you need ot return, so that will help.

Sorry this is so long--its all personal preference really!!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm a FTM and have about 90 items combined as well.  I didn't really include clothes other than a couple sleepsacks, but I have smaller, medium, and bigger items on both registries.  When I am shopping off a registry I like for there to be a lot to choose from, so I figured I would make sure there was a range of items on my registries as well.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

I'm registered at Babies R Us and then using MyRegistry.com to add stuff from various other smaller websites, including ThinkGeek and Etsy.  I think right now the list is between 40 and 50 items, but there's still a bunch we need to add.  I think we'll probably end up with somewhere around 100 items when all is said and done.  I think my mom said there are somewhere around 45-50 people that will be invited to my shower, and while I'm assuming that not everyone will make it, I also made that assumption (incorrectly) about our wedding, and it wound up being a much bigger affair than either of us expected!  So on the off chance that all 50ish people actually attend, I want to make sure there are enough items for people to choose from.

I agree with the previous poster about including a wide range of price points.  Some people will want to buy you one big thing, but not everyone can afford to spend a lot so it's important to make sure there are affordable items on there as well.  And I don't think I'm even going to bother with clothes.  We found out yesterday afternoon that we're having a little girl and my sister-in-law already bought like 30 outfits for her!  I'm going to wait and see what we get at the shower and then fill in the gaps afterward either using gift cards or visiting some thrift stores.

• Options
    imagejd614:

you dont know what type of bottles/pacifiers, etc, your baby will take to. It took my sister probably 4 different types before my nephew would take...so I would take that stuff off. Also, i registered for onesies and a few sleep sacks but otherwise kept clothes and receiving blankets to a minimum.  Those are the gifts people LOVE to bring when they visit you, so you will have plenty . No need to waste registry space on it in my opinion. 

This is so beyond true.  AND, keep in mind that any bottles/pacis you register for can only be returned if still in the packaging, so getting them "ready" for when baby comes home is not a good idea.

As far as clothes, I would honestly not even put any on the registry.  Friends of ours had a shower and she registered for alllllllllllll kinds of clothes - from 0-6 months in size.  The baby was born and barely stayed in 0-3 months for more than a few weeks because he was long and grew so quickly.  She had outfits that were never worn, but she had washed them so they were not returnable.  They had to go buy the carseat, bouncy, and swing because everyone bought them clothes and blankets.  In that respect, I would also take blankets off or just have one or two options because you will be inundated with blankets, burp cloths, wash cloths and clothes! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageirishmom2010:
    imagejd614:

you dont know what type of bottles/pacifiers, etc, your baby will take to. It took my sister probably 4 different types before my nephew would take...so I would take that stuff off. Also, i registered for onesies and a few sleep sacks but otherwise kept clothes and receiving blankets to a minimum.  Those are the gifts people LOVE to bring when they visit you, so you will have plenty . No need to waste registry space on it in my opinion. 

This is so beyond true.  AND, keep in mind that any bottles/pacis you register for can only be returned if still in the packaging, so getting them "ready" for when baby comes home is not a good idea.

As far as clothes, I would honestly not even put any on the registry.  Friends of ours had a shower and she registered for alllllllllllll kinds of clothes - from 0-6 months in size.  The baby was born and barely stayed in 0-3 months for more than a few weeks because he was long and grew so quickly.  She had outfits that were never worn, but she had washed them so they were not returnable.  They had to go buy the carseat, bouncy, and swing because everyone bought them clothes and blankets.  In that respect, I would also take blankets off or just have one or two options because you will be inundated with blankets, burp cloths, wash cloths and clothes! 

Hadn't thought about that, thanks for the additional tip!

I kept one set of burp cloths and a washcloth/towel combo pack on there...do you think they can get the heaveho too? I have no blankets, and just one pack of swaddlers in S/M, and one pack in L. I also have one pack of bibs (the brights 10 pack from BRU).

Sorry for all the questions, but thanks to everyone that responded...I promise I'm not always this neurotic, hahaha!!

BabyFruit Ticker

2012 Reading Challenge

2012 Reading Challenge
    hide
  • Options
    Put on there one pack of the white carters onesies that button across the stomach instead of underneath for the first few weeks until the belly button falls off. i guess its not a onesie-more of a shirt...
  • Options

imagejd614:
    Put on there one pack of the white carters onesies that button across the stomach instead of underneath for the first few weeks until the belly button falls off. i guess its not a onesie-more of a shirt...

Good call - but I would make it too. It's crazy how quickly they spit up on those sucker! Wink I would do sizes in NB and 0-3 months, just in case your nugget is a bit bigger.  DD was 18.5 inches the day she was born, but a few days before the stub from the cord fell off she was in the 0-3 size.  Also, they are great to have underneath sleepers if it's colder at night.

OP - As far as the swaddlers and burpcloths you have on there, leave them.  People will buy you extras because they think you don't have enough on your registry. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Mine had about 20 items on it before we started buying stuff from it. But we didn't put anything on it that was "little". Cheapest thing was a 30$ miracle blanket and everything else was the co-sleeper, stroller, SIDS monitor, carseat, swing, etc.

We aren't sending our registry to anyone, so it's just a list for us of things we picked out and are intending to buy. With clothes and "little" things, it would be 90 items easily, I'm sure.

• Options
    Oh, and I made my registry on Amazon.com and they sent me a coupon for 20% off a baby item. With Amazon Mom I get free 2-day shipping. So I got the $350 jogging stroller for $280, including 2-day shipping! I definitely recommend making a registry with them!
  • Options

imageMinipenguin:
    Oh, and I made my registry on Amazon.com and they sent me a coupon for 20% off a baby item. With Amazon Mom I get free 2-day shipping. So I got the $350 jogging stroller for $280, including 2-day shipping! I definitely recommend making a registry with them!

I used this for my video monitor and changer/dresser combo and got $100 off!!!

BabyFruit Ticker

2012 Reading Challenge

2012 Reading Challenge
    hide
  • Options
    For my registry I only put my big ticket items on. I find that whether it's on your registry or not you get a ton of clothes, blankets, & all the little stuff really since there are usually a lot of moms that go to the showers so they already know what the essentials are.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I just completed my registry with my friend whose son is 6 mos. old and she was able to tell me exactly what I need and about how many of each item (e.g. swaddles) to add. I have 85 items on my registry and am worried that it's too much, as my mother is throwing me a shower with approx. 25 ppl. I kept the small items such as a bottle brush and pacifiers on the registry as my work is throwing me a shower and the staff of 50+ attends and historically each person gives smaller items. 
  • Options
    I think it depends on how wide your circle of gift givers is.  I remember reading the boards around the time of the showers & a lot of people myself included were disappointed with a lot not being purchased from the registry.  So just know that if you put a lot on make sure you are also doing it for yourself that way you can just click buttons & buy it in one fell swoop at the end with your 10% discount or whatever discount the store is giving.  Def don't register for clothes, they won't even be around by the time your peeps go shopping.
  • Options

FTM here, I'm done registering and I have 42 items between my 2 registries. The only thing I still want to register for is a highchair. The reason for the low number:

- I did a lot of research on the items that I registered for and I'm hoping that by keeping the amount of items low I'll be more likely to get everything that I really need/want

- I did not register for a single item of clothing (I know I will get a lot). I also didn't register for blankets (with the exception of swadlers). 

- didn't register ( nor will a be purchasing a bedding set). I'm just going to get a couple fitted sheets and a crib skirt

Lastly, I really didn't want a bunch of stuff that I didn't need taking over my house so I tried to keep it to essentials.  

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Our Sweet Boy "LJ"
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"