Natural Birth

Chiropractic care for breech

Hi Ladies! Yet another question. So I am 32 weeks (ticker is a little off) and OB informed me baby turned to breech position. I am not freaking out but figure I see a chiropractor and ask them about websters technique. On a regular basis, I do see chiropractors. I've only been once in my life. It was around 4 months. So I called my OB to ask for a referal and they said NO. That it can do more harm than good. That it would be ok, If I attended regularly but since I don't its a bad idea. Everything I read suggests this is safe. I am confused. Anyways, I'm wondering if any of you who've never had chiropractic care sought it during pregnancy...what was your experience?
1st BFP 10/11/11. MMC 9wks 3days.Measuring 6wks 1day D&C 11/15/11 Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers "http://lilypie.com/">Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Chiropractic care for breech

• I'll be up-front: I am biased because my father is a chiropractor. I've received chiropractic care throughout my pregnancy and it makes a huge, huge difference in how I feel. I just say this so you know--I'm biased :) But hey--so is your doctor, by his experiences and education.  Most MDs do not know their heads from their toes when it comes to chiropractic--this is just what I've observed over the years.  Some do, and it's getting better (nothing makes me happier than when chiros and docs work together!) but most simply are not trained to know about alternative treatments (and, really, you wouldn't expect your plumber to give you wiring advice, so I get that).

OK, with that preface: What your OB said is malarkey. Chiropractic care,period, is safe during pregnancy as long as the chiro a) is trained to work with expecting women (most are) b) knows you are pregnant (at 32 weeks this should not be an issue) and c) has a table to accomodate you (most do). The Webster technique is not really all that different from a "normal" chiropractic adjustment.  It does not matter if you go regularly or not.  Frankly, conventional medical care is more likely to "cause more harm than good" in my opinion.

With chiropractic, they are manipulating your spine and sacrum to get YOUR body working the way it is supposed to. The adjustment is usually gentle (unlike the usual medical intervention, ECV) and does not even touch your uterus--it focuses on the bones. When your body is aligned properly, the baby will hopefully turn on his own. There is no reason to assume it would not be safe.  The MD experience of fiddling with breech by ECV is probably where this idea comes from and why they're leery of someone "not trained" doing it--ECV does require monitoring and can cause severe complications.  Chiropractic is nothing like ECV.

More on the technique and the theory here: https://icpa4kids.com/about/webster_technique.htm

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I went with ds2 to reposition him. I am quite skeptical of the claims chiros make, but I do admit that it did work. Like, immediately. Also, she didn't do anything that anyone would call dangerous. I lied on my side while she dug her fingers into different ligaments in my sciatic, hip and thigh area. She said that ligaments are so loose during pregnancy I didn't need the more forceful "adjustments" she would normally do. and that was it. MDs are hugely biased against chiropractic, but that doesn't mean it is dangerous.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I had regular chiropractic care during both of my pregnancies.  I told my midwives about it and they were excited and totally supportive.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Thank you ladies! I decided to go and had an appointment yesterday. I was a little bit nervous about her putting some pressure on my round ligament but other than that I feel confident with her adjustment.
    1st BFP 10/11/11. MMC 9wks 3days.Measuring 6wks 1day D&C 11/15/11 Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers "http://lilypie.com/">Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I had eight sessions with a chiropractor doing this technique between 31 and 36 weeks, and my baby turned and remained head down. I can't recommend it enough. I've never heard that it can do any harm at all, are you sure they aren't confused and think you mean an ECV?

imageimageimageTTC since 07/11 | natural m/c 08/11 | BFP 12/6/2011 | Elinor Anna born 8/18/2012 | BFP #2 1/16/2014
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"