Military Families

Anyone join after having baby?

Hi, there.

I am hoping for some input from Navy moms, I have a 7 mo DD who but due to life's unpredictability I am considering joining the Navy as an Officer. Short story- things with my hubby's job are just not looking good and I have always been interested in the Navy. I have a BA but there are no jobs around here... My hubby is talking about going back to school for an engineering degree but it will obviously take a few years before that new career is a viable option. So, here I am, thinking that the best way to help him achieve his goals and keep our family afloat is to pursue a new career path. (BTW I had always planned on joining after college, then life happened and now I have a baby) I am just wondering what it is really like being a mom and in the Navy (or other). If I am stationed in-land will they get to come too? How often do you get moved? I know that Basic and OCS will mean not seeing my DD and DH for the better part of 6 months but how is it after that?

TIA

Re: Anyone join after having baby?

• Lot's of people join with kids and also have kids while they are in. Your family will be able to move to your duty station unless you get an unaccompanied remote tour or are deployed. Also, depending on your job and the length of training, your family may be able to come be with you. For the Air Force it is 25 weeks or longer. Family is also welcomed at basic graduation so you will be able to see them then.

It depends on the needs of the Navy on how often you get moved. I'm not very familiar with the Navy. I know friends who were stationed here less than a year and got orders. My best friend's husband as been in the same place for 5 years with no orders. 

I would look into other branches as well. Talk with recruiters specifically for Officers and then take that info and do research online.

Good Luck!  

30 Rock Pictures, Images and Photos
  • There were plenty of moms, single moms at that, they went to AF BMT with me.  I'll actually be applying to attend OTS when I'm pregnant, and then just waiting for a school date after I've birthed.

I'm not entirely sure how the Navy's rules are, but I'd think it's doable.  Good luck to you! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"