1st Trimester

only for moms who are pro circumcision

First of all, this is not a post saying that parent's are horrible for letting their son's get circumcised, I am actually pro-circumcision. Second of all, if you are anti-circumcision, please do not be rude and yell at me or others who are posting what they believe is in the best interest for their son's.

With that in mind, I know that this topic is something that should be discussed between the mother and father of their soon-to-come son. We do not know what we are having yet, but in the event that we do have a boy, I wanted to know what are some good reasons why mother's cicumcised or will circumsise their son's. My husband (who is not circumcised) does not want to do that to our son because there are extreme cases out there that go very wrong. Me, on the other hand, wants our kid to get circumcised because it is more hygienic to get it done than to not. I guess what I am asking, are there any moms out there who can help me persuade my DH to get our son circumcised? Again, we don't know what we are having yet, I just want to have this information in the event that we end up do having a boy. Thank you!

BabyFetus Ticker

image image

Re: only for moms who are pro circumcision

• If we have a boy, I could really care less. I will leave that up to my H who would WANT a circumcision. I have been with men who are and aren't. I *personally* perfer them not. But honestly, it really does not matter to me.
    TTC since May 2012; BFP July 31st, 2012; EDD April 13th, 2013 BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker Anniversary
  • DH is circ'd (religious thing), but his "gentile" best friend was not circumcised UNTIL he made the decision to get "cut" at 25 due to years of painful sexual encounters and the upkeep involved. His recovery was very long and painful, involving a much larger area of skin than it would have as an infant.

His story, combined with DH's convictions (no, it's not just so his son "looks like him") have made it set in stone for us. Personally, I'm not a fan of uncircumcised penises (even ones that are "clean"-- that's a sweaty area!), so I feel I would be doing my son a favor in his future sex life, as many women (not all) feel the same way.

I hear the argument that you can "just teach your son to keep it clean" to avoid the hygiene concerns, but I have to wonder at what age the child should assume this responsibility. What 9-year-old boy remembers to wash his hands or brush his teeth-- much less take the time to clean his willy?

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Personally, this isn't something that I would want to persuade anyone into. You both should do research and read the same things and come to a conclusion together. I don't have any links but I will look for some for you. Also, the more hygienic thing is not necessarily true because most of those studies were not done in the US. If it were necessary, the APA would recommend it. 

Jacob, 1/14/13
  • imageMelissaRae1525:
    Personally, this isn't something that I would want to persuade anyone into. You both should do research and read the same things and come to a conclusion together. I don't have any links but I will look for some for you. Also, the more hygienic thing is not necessarily true because most of those studies were not done in the US. If it were necessary, the APA would recommend it.nbsp;

Actually, the APA just recently came out recommending circumcision.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• We never even questioned it. We both felt he would have an easier time with his sex life when older if he got snipped. Where we're from it's the norm...and we didn't want him standing out or being different and it causing him emotional issues. Also, it was very well done, and easy to take care of afterwards. I wasn't present for the deed. They took him out of the room to do it. It was quick and he doesn't remember.
    DH, Jared 7/28/01; DD, Isabella Grace 11/28/06; said good-bye to baby 2 5/09 (11.5 weeks); said good-bye to Dakota Blu 11/09 (11.5 weeks); DS, Benjamin Cruz 12/6/10; said good-bye to babies 5 and 6 09/12 (8 weeks); baby "K" our foster son 11/28/12 came to us 1/7/14
  • Our decision was a little easier. There is a condition in my DH family where the foreskin cannot be retracted, which becomes painful, and eventually they need to be circ'd anyway. My DH was done at ~20, his grandfather later in life (iirc around 60). They both remember the procedure being painful and the recovery was not great either - including stitches popping out and needing to be re-stitched during recovery. 

Now, this experience is not the norm, but he is adamant that he wants to spare a future son the potential for this to happen. We are going to look for a surgeon who does this routinely and has a great track record. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • imageKrisM86:
    imageMelissaRae1525:
    Personally, this isn't something that I would want to persuade anyone into. You both should do research and read the same things and come to a conclusion together. I don't have any links but I will look for some for you. Also, the more hygienic thing is not necessarily true because most of those studies were not done in the US. If it were necessary, the APA would recommend it.nbsp;

What organization are you referring to by APA?

As of 8/27/2012, American Academy of Pediatrics still does not "recommend" circumcision. To quote what they do recommend:

The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) believes that circumcision has potential medical benefits and advantages, as well as risks. We recommend that the decision to circumcise is one best made by parents in consultation with their pediatrician, taking into account what is in the best interests of the child, including medical, religious, cultural, and ethnic traditions.

Your pediatrician (or your obstetrician if he or she would be performing the circumcision) should discuss the benefits and risks of circumcision with you and the forms of analgesia that are available.

Last Updated 8/27/2012
    *Julie* Wife to Micheal and mama of 5, soon to be 6!* Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageKrisM86:
    imageMelissaRae1525:

No, they did not.

After a comprehensive review of the scientific evidence, the American Academy of Pediatrics found the health benefits of newborn male circumcision outweigh the risks, but the benefits are not great enough to recommend universal newborn circumcision. The AAP policy statement published Monday, August 27, says the final decision should still be left to parents to make in the context of their religious, ethical and cultural beliefs. 

https://www.aap.org/en-us/about-the-aap/aap-press-room/pages/Newborn-Male-Circumcision.aspx?nfstatus=401&nftoken=00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000&nfstatusdescription=ERROR%3a+No+local+token

Not sure if that link works but it's the first thing that comes up when you google "APA circumcision". 

Jacob, 1/14/13
  • imagemommajewels87:

imageKrisM86:
    imageMelissaRae1525:

What organization are you referring to by APA?

As of 8/27/2012, American Academy of Pediatrics still does not "recommend" circumcision. To quote what they do recommend:

The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) believes that circumcision has potential medical benefits and advantages, as well as risks. We recommend that the decision to circumcise is one best made by parents in consultation with their pediatrician, taking into account what is in the best interests of the child, including medical, religious, cultural, and ethnic traditions.

Your pediatrician (or your obstetrician if he or she would be performing the circumcision) should discuss the benefits and risks of circumcision with you and the forms of analgesia that are available.

Last Updated 8/27/2012

Yeah, I meant the AAP. And you beat me to it.  

Jacob, 1/14/13
  • I wasn't particularly one way or the other about it, so I left it up to my DH since he has a penis and I don't.  We chose to keep them the same, so DS is circumcised.  That way we never have to field any "why is mine different than yours" questions, and also DH and I are both more familiar with how to care for a circumcised penis, so it was just what worked best for us.

My sister and her DH did the same but the opposite of us.  She is a little more anti-circumcision than I am, but they did keep their DS the same as her DH. 

BFP 12/19/08- DS born 8/25/09 9lbs2oz via Zavanelli Maneuver
    BFP 8/26/11- Missed miscarriage discovered 10/19/11 at 11w2d, measured at 9 weeks gestation w/ no HB. D&C 10/21/11
    BFP 3/17/12 at 12dpo CP 3/21/12
    BFP 4/23/12 at 10dpo Stick my little one! Beta #1: 83.3 @ 13dpo Beta #2: 197.7 @ 15dpo
    Our little man is getting bigger every day!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    My BFP Chart
  • I let my DH make the call.  I weighed in with my opinion, but I wanted my DH to have that decision, since he has a peter.  
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm neither pro- nor anti-circumcision (I left that decision to my husband), but if you feel very strongly about it, you can show your husband research from the CDC, which shows that circumcision reduces the risk of STDs (including AIDS) as well as reducing cancer risk.  Of course, he can turn around and show you studies about the actual risks involved in circumcision (they exist!) and the reduction in nerves that men experience as a result of circumcision.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • its purely religious for us but Im doing more research this time around. unfortunately there have been a lot of people that have had a botched job in my area and I want to make sure if we go ahead and do it Im not setting my son up  for failure.
    photo b6d12d4a-3c41-4686-a0af-8cf854f979e4_zpsffdadc4c.jpg Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • So you came on here wanting a bunch of women to give you information so you can bully your husband into seeing it your way.  But you aren't willing to sit down and listen to him, even though he's the one with the penis.  Sounds like you really want to make an informed decision.

I recommend doing your own research and putting more value in your H's opinion than a bunch of internet strangers. Especially ones that are going to be giving you information to support their own point of views.

I personally feel that unless it's done for religious/ethnic reasons it's a totally unnecessary surgery that people put their children through for pure vanity.  Every surgery has risks, even routine out patient ones.  Your child will grow up to be as hygienic as you teach them to be.  If you are so worried about hygiene, do the research and teach him how to properly care for himself.  Problem solved!

Oh! BTW, an informed decision would be asking for information about both sides of the issue.  Not just the side you want.

https://www.askdrsears.com/topics/pregnancy-childbirth/whether-or-not-circumcise

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

image image
    You fill me!!! Z! My BFP Chart
  • DH was circumcised right after birth Due to MIL's decision which I liked, it looks cleaner to me personally and I like the look more like it lol I've never been with someone uncut; in my home country little boys get circumcised around 6 yrs old and it's like a passage to manhood for them, takes a week to heal, painful but for any boy it's worth it in my culture. So if you get it done as soon as birth or even until around preschool is totally fine. A lot of kids in y country get "cut" at 69 and they are perfectly fine. The younger they are they Said the faster it heals.it hurts like crazy according to my little brother but after the 2nd day it's fine.
  • imageChancieMark:
    I let my H decide since he knows what is involved in keeping it clean. He is uncircumcised so we did not circumcise our son. Honestly, you need to sit down with your H and weigh out the pros and cons. There shouldn't be any intense persuading or bullying from either side, you should agree on it fully together.

This, except MH is circumcised so both or our sons are as well.  I wouldn't make a decision based on opinions on a message board, but maybe that's just me. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageGoMaltby18:

imageChancieMark:
    I let my H decide since he knows what is involved in keeping it clean. He is uncircumcised so we did not circumcise our son. Honestly, you need to sit down with your H and weigh out the pros and cons. There shouldn't be any intense persuading or bullying from either side, you should agree on it fully together.

This, except MH is circumcised so both or our sons are as well.  I wouldn't make a decision based on opinions on a message board, but maybe that's just me. 

Both of these!

I let the husband make the decision, since I have no idea what it's like to have a penis. Our son is circumcised.

Also, this is a very, very personal decision, and nothing that anyone says on a message board should have any bearing on that decision. Opinions swaying on cloth diapers or which bottles to use? Sure. But circumcision? Not so much.

Charlie 8.06.08
    Emeline 5.28.13

My Blog

Post-Baby PRs
    Esri 5K 7.16.2014 - 21:30
    Heart Half Marathon 3.16.2014 - 1:43:30
    Canton City Marathon 9.8.14 - 3:30:56
  • imageGoMaltby18:

imageChancieMark:

This. MH and DS are both circumcised, but it was a decision we made together, and I suggest you discuss it with your H and your doctor if you have questions.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageBink720:
    So you came on here wanting a bunch of women to give you information so you can bully your husband into seeing it your way. But you aren't willing to sit down and listen to him, even though he's the one with the penis. Sounds like you really want to make an informed decision. I recommend doing your own research and putting more value in your H's opinion than a bunch of internet strangers. Especially ones that are going to be giving you information to support their own point of views.

I personally feel that unless it's done for religious/ethnic reasons it's a totally unnecessary surgery that people put their children through for pure vanity. Every surgery has risks, even routine out patient ones. Your child will grow up to be as hygienic as you teach them to be. If you are so worried about hygiene, do the research and teach him how to properly care for himself. Problem solved!

Oh! BTW, an informed decision would be asking for information about both sides of the issue. Not just the side you want. https://www.askdrsears.com/topics/pregnancy-childbirth/whether-or-not-circumcise

THIS.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageBink720:

So you came on here wanting a bunch of women to give you information so you can bully your husband into seeing it your way.  But you aren't willing to sit down and listen to him, even though he's the one with the penis.  Sounds like you really want to make an informed decision.

I recommend doing your own research and putting more value in your H's opinion than a bunch of internet strangers. Especially ones that are going to be giving you information to support their own point of views.

I personally feel that unless it's done for religious/ethnic reasons it's a totally unnecessary surgery that people put their children through for pure vanity.  Every surgery has risks, even routine out patient ones.  Your child will grow up to be as hygienic as you teach them to be.  If you are so worried about hygiene, do the research and teach him how to properly care for himself.  Problem solved!

Oh! BTW, an informed decision would be asking for information about both sides of the issue.  Not just the side you want.

https://www.askdrsears.com/topics/pregnancy-childbirth/whether-or-not-circumcise

I really don't think that you understood my reasoning for posting this. Obviously, at first I said that it is not for anyone who is going to be rude to me or to anyone on this discussion forum. Secondly, I did state that my husband and I have been talking about doing and not doing it. He gave his reasons why he doesn't want to and I gave my reasons why. If he can get information from others then why should I not be able to get it from other mothers as well??

If you are stating that I am bullying my husband and manipulating him into doing something that he doesn't want to do, then you are VERY wrong! Normally, I don't let people like you get to me or even waste my time into explaining everything but obviously you hit a nerve, and got me upset. I would NEVER manipulate or "bully" my husband into doing anything that he is uncomfortable with. Obviously, there were others here who posted what they believe (regardless if it was something they did or didn't do) Last time I checked, there was nothing wrong with getting information from experienced mother's since this will be my first.

Moreover, I did do my own research before even thinking about posting this. If anything, you are the bully on this forum and I don't appreciate your harsh words that were being said.

Oh, and btw, obviously there were mother's on here putting an informed decision on why they did not get their son's penis circumcised and I accepted that information as well....maybe you overlooked those women's posts and just wanted to tell me how much of a bad wife that you think that I am.

BabyFetus Ticker

image image

• For my FI and I, we have made the decision that we will circumcise. My FI isn't circumcised and he didn't like the stigma around it while he was growing up. He's completely comfortable with himself now that he's 30 and realized that most women actually don't care, but it was at school, in the shower room during PE, etc that he knew he was different and it wore on him.

As for MY opinion on the matter, I just think it's cleaner. Not only when they're children, but I've been with cut and uncut men and if they don't take care of it in a way that cut men don't even have to worry about, it's just...gross. (Not the uncut part, the uncleanliness). 

I've never met a man who was circumcised and wish he wasn't, but I've met a handful who weren't and wish they were. So overall, that's our decision. 

Me 28 | DH 33
    Married 12.21.12
    DD#1 born 5.21.13
    DD#2 due 7.11.16
  • I have so much i want to say about this. But i guess i have to bite my tongue because OP said i couldn't comment.
  • My 2 cents: If we have a boy, we will have him circumcised.  I have read all of the literature and actually witnessed the procedure on a newborn in nursing school.

I found out as a teenager that my entire family is aggressively anti-circumcision.  When I asked my mom why she looked at me like I was crazy and said "Because it's mean!"  I know that if I have a boy, my family will actually be upset with me for going through with the circumcision but my mind is made up.  Unfortunately, as a nurse, I have seen far more complications with uncircumcised members than I thought I would.  Cracks, bleeding, raging and painful infections.  You can teach your son all the good hygeine in the world, but things can still go by the wayside (especially when he's in a situation where he's unable to care for himself).  Circumcised penis' are much more low maintanence. 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • imagermambrose007:
    imageBink720:

So you came on here wanting a bunch of women to give you information so you can bully your husband into seeing it your way.  But you aren't willing to sit down and listen to him, even though he's the one with the penis.  Sounds like you really want to make an informed decision.

I really don't think that you understood my reasoning for posting this. Obviously, at first I said that it is not for anyone who is going to be rude to me or to anyone on this discussion forum. Secondly, I did state that my husband and I have been talking about doing and not doing it. He gave his reasons why he doesn't want to and I gave my reasons why. If he can get information from others then why should I not be able to get it from other mothers as well??

If you are stating that I am bullying my husband and manipulating him into doing something that he doesn't want to do, then you are VERY wrong! Normally, I don't let people like you get to me or even waste my time into explaining everything but obviously you hit a nerve, and got me upset. I would NEVER manipulate or "bully" my husband into doing anything that he is uncomfortable with. Obviously, there were others here who posted what they believe (regardless if it was something they did or didn't do) Last time I checked, there was nothing wrong with getting information from experienced mother's since this will be my first.

Moreover, I did do my own research before even thinking about posting this. If anything, you are the bully on this forum and I don't appreciate your harsh words that were being said.

Oh, and btw, obviously there were mother's on here putting an informed decision on why they did not get their son's penis circumcised and I accepted that information as well....maybe you overlooked those women's posts and just wanted to tell me how much of a bad wife that you think that I am.

Listen up, moron.  In your OP you said you wanted to know how to persuade him to go along with YOUR decision; so essentially, yes, you are manipulating him into doing what YOU want, regardless of how he feels.  

imageimage
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageSaraSmile19:
      Unfortunately, as a nurse, I have seen far more complications with uncircumcised members than I thought I would.  Cracks, bleeding, raging and painful infections.  You can teach your son all the good hygeine in the world, but things can still go by the wayside (especially when he's in a situation where he's unable to care for himself).  Circumcised penis' are much more low maintanence. 

YES! I was going to say this exact thing.  I also work in healthcare and the only pediatric penile issues I've encountered have been in uncircumcised males.  They ARE harder to keep clean while the child is young and then from the ages of 4-10 they don't have the mindset to understand the importance of cleaning themselves regularly.  This coupled with a lower rate of STDs, HIV, and cancers when they get older if they are circumcised and my decision was an easy one for me to make.     

Baby C - 08.23.13
  • imagermambrose007:

I stand by everything I said in my post.  And I never called you a bad wife.  But you came here asking for ways to make your husband see it your way.  That is being manipulative and being a bully.

I just wanted to add that I am a mother.  I have a 2 year old SON (look I can do bold words too).  So I have done the research, I have had the discussions with my husband, and I chose to respect his opinion on the matter above anyone else's because at the end of the day, I don't have a penis and he does.  He grew up knowing what it took to be healthy and hygienic, I didn't.  So just in case your theory is that my opinion doesn't count because I'm not a mom, think again. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

image image
    You fill me!!! Z! My BFP Chart
  • I don't think it's possible to be pro circumcision yet need to ask others how you can convince your husband that you are right.  Do the research yourself.  There are pros and cons to both sides.  You may change your mind after doing the research, your husband may change his after doing research.  In the end, whatever decision you two make based on your own reasons (not all of ours) is the correct decision for your family.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Along with this topic, I hear that nowadays they put a plastic thing on the baby's penis and it pops off when it's properly formed so it's not a surgical procedure anymore? I'm sure every hospital is different but does anyone have any information on this?
    IAmPregnant Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"