High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

Lovenox and Protein S Antigen/Activity

Hello all!

I have been lurking on this board quite a bit. Tomorrow I will be 8 weeks and I am currently seeing a perinatologist. I am deemed "high risk" for several reasons. Two weeks ago they found a huge blood clot in my armpit and I was put on Lovenox 60mg q 12hrs. Last week I had a bunch of blood work done to see if I had some type of clotting disorder. I follow up with my hematologist next week to go over my results. However, I was told today that my Protein S Antigen and Protein S Activity came back very low. Has anyone ever had this experience and if so, is it any way related to being on the anticoagulants and/or being pregnant?

Thank you so much in advance!  

Re: Lovenox and Protein S Antigen/Activity

• Options

I think one or two of the lovennox ladies have this.  They just had their check in on friday, I think.

Protein S deficiency is either hereditary or acquired, but pregnancy itself doesn't cause it.  Pregnancy usually lowers your protein S levels to some degree, but does not cause the true deficiency.  When you lack protein S, it makes you prone to clots, like the one in your armpit.  Pregnancy makes you prone to clots also.  So when you have a thrombophilia (protein S deficiency, FVL, etc.) and are pregnant, your risk of clots shoots through the roof.  The lovenox works to help slowly dissolve your clot and prevent any new ones.  The lovenox itself will not affect your protein S levels, so that is not what caused your condition.  HTH and GL!

Photobucket Lilypie Premature Baby tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Thank you for clearing things up for me! In a way, knowing that I am on Lovenox eases my mind a bit. I had a m/c in July and I'm wondering if this situation had something to do with it. Again, thank you for your reply, it is greatly appreciated!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Welcome! I developed a clot in my retina during the 1st trimester with ds. Blood work determined protein c and s deficiencies. For me, it's 'pregnancy induced' meaning all the extra hormones screw me up. :)  My blood has been tested when not pregnant and my levels were normal. Definitely check out the Lovenox ladies check in on Thursday and good luck!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

imagedieted01:
    Welcome! I developed a clot in my retina during the 1st trimester with ds. Blood work determined protein c and s deficiencies. For me, it's 'pregnancy induced' meaning all the extra hormones screw me up. :)  My blood has been tested when not pregnant and my levels were normal. Definitely check out the Lovenox ladies check in on Thursday and good luck!

This is similar to my situation.  After the birth of my daughter I developed a clot in my calf, was put on Lovenox and then Coumadin and also had a million and one clotting tests done.  My protein S came back very, very low.  At the time I just accepted that I had a true protein S deficiency (which is very rare) but maybe a year later a hematologist re-tested my levels as he thought my levels could have still been low from my pregnancy, as pregnancy naturally lowers protein s in everyone.  Sure enough, when not pregnant and not just six weeks post-partum, my levels were completely normal.  I had them tested one more time for good measure and still normal.

No matter what my protein s levels are, I will always be on Lovenox while pregnant due to the increase in hormone levels and how that can contribute to clots.

Kelly, Mom to Christopher Shannon 9.27.06, Catherine Quinn 2.24.09, Trey Barton lost on 12.28.09, Therese Barton lost on 6.10.10, Joseph Sullivan 7.23.11, and our latest, Victoria Maren 11.15.12

Secondary infertility success with IVF, then two losses, one at 14 weeks and one at 10 weeks, then success with IUI and then just pure, crazy luck.  Expecting our fifth in May as the result of a FET.

This Cluttered Life

• Options
    Thank you ladies for your reply! Any information is good to know and it's also comforting knowing that you're not the only one whose had to deal with a situation like this! I meet with me hematologist next week and I'm sure he will keep me on the Lovenox for the LO's and my sake! Thanks again :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"