December 2012 Moms
Options

Chia Seeds?

Does anyone else eat these things? My co-worker was talking about them, so I picked up a bag at Trader Joe's yesterday.  Apparently they are one of the richest sources of omega-3s, which I know are good for baby's brain and I don't get via fish since I'm a vegetarian.

I put some in my yogurt today which worked ok - any other good ways to eat them?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Chia Seeds?

• Options
    I actually drink a beverage call Mamma Chia (sp) that is basically chia seeds in flavored liquid. I would assume you would eat them the same way you would flax seed so you can start with that
  • Options
    I put them in oatmeal.  I assume they would also blend well in a smoothie, but haven't tried that yet...
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    They can be blended into a smoothie, or put on top of (or in) oatmeal. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BFP: 12/20/13 EDD: 08/23/14 (discovered m/c at 8w5d)
    BFP: 09/22/14 EDD: 06/06/15 (hoping for our rainbow)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I just ordered some today! My husband read it's great for endurance and running. The only place I could find them is amazon. I live in BFE and the closest trader joes or whole foods is 2.5 hrs away. I'm going to try some too.
    IMG_4940vin-1-1 Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imagemaiatene:
    I actually drink a beverage call Mamma Chia sp that is basically chia seeds in flavored liquid. I would assume you would eat them the same way you would flax seed so you can start with that

I was going to say the same thing. I love Mamma Chia. I didn't think I would because I have a texture aversion to something's like that but it's a great drink!
    OP you can also grind them like flax and put it in smoothies.
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    DD#1 December '12
    DD#2 New Year's Baby '15
    Married 07/09
  • Options
    I'm not familiar with chia seeds, but if they are like most seeds and nuts, they are only at their full nutritional and digestible potential after they have been soaked for a few hours. I'd look this up to give you a more accurate answer but I'm on mobile!! But try soaking raw sunflower seeds covered in the dark overnight and eat them once they have sprouted. They taste amazing and it's unbelievable the amount of live enzymes that are activated once you bring them back to life. We soak all our seeds and nuts.

I'll look into that to see if chia seeds are similar!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I love Chia... Chia jam in place of jelly is my favorite.  You can add them to anything - seriously anything.  Pinterest has a bunch of great recipes!
    Little Man - 3 years old image
  • Options

I add them to raw oatmeal. Normally I do 1/2 cup rolled oats, 1 tbsp chia seeds, sliced raw almonds, and raisins.  Then add hot water (it's the med cup setting on the Keurig).  Let it sit for awhile (sometimes reheat for a minute in the microwave).

I'm also a vegetarian so its a good source of protein and Omega 3's.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"