February 2012 Moms
Options

Ground meat

That post yesterday about the food renegade article (which I read, along with all the comments) made me wonder about ground meat. DD is just starting to be able to grasp food and get it to her mouth, and one of the comments in that article said that ground beef was a perfect food for this stage: the crumbles are small, and they get iron. 

Anyone tried it? We have a freezer full of venison that I need to use up before November gets here, and I thought this might be a start. (And yes, pedi approved the feeding of venison). 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Ground meat

• Options

Aside from the fact that I don't believe much of her "science," I agree with her that cooked meat is a good source of iron/protein.  We have been feeding C shredded chicken and beef and she has eaten it really well.  I am sure as long as the crumbles aren't "airway sized," your LO will enjoy the venison. 

Yum--can't wait to start makng chili this fall!

• Options

Oh, yes, I did mean cooked meat! 

https://www.foodrenegade.com/why-ditch-infant-cereals/  was the article that was referenced in yesterday's post. Like Sooner, I don't necessarily believe her science, but it sparked a few ideas.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    We haven't tried ground beef because we haven't eaten any recently, but Lucia likes ground chicken!
    BabyFruit Ticker

BFP 3.8.16  EDD 11.20.16

• Options
    I made a mini-cheeseburger for Ben the other day and just cut it up in small pieces.  He's still working on his pincher grasp, so I have to help still, but he did just fine.  If I remember correctly, things should be less than 1.5 inches in diameter to prevent choking.  I tend to go with 1/2 inch diameter or smaller for pieces for him.  He mashes it in his gums and with his tongue and the roof of his mouth before he swallows it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

FACEBOOK FEB 12 BUMPIES ADMIN - POST & PM ME TO JOIN 

• Options
    I'd like to try ground meat but my dd doesn't really chew yet. I'm wondering if she's alone in that.
  • Options
    imagejesse1117:
    Um, yeah, not real impressed with that "science."Are you guys doing eggs? nbsp;
    we just did scrambled eggs for the first time today and Cici loved them!
  • Options
    We have been planning on doing eggs and will start this weekend. Our family doc asked if Lu was allergic to them because she'll get the flu shot in 2 weeks and apparently it contains egg. We 'd like to try them at home first a couple of times just to be sure.
    BabyFruit Ticker

BFP 3.8.16  EDD 11.20.16

• Options
    We did scrambled eggs last week and Jackson absolutely hated them! It's the only food so far that he dislikes. We'll try them again in a couple weeks. We're gonna try ground venison/beef this weekend.
    BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    I made chili with a mixture of ground turkey and beef this week and she enjoyed both! 
    11 months old! #andintoeverything
  • Options
    Speaking of eggs. Are you guys just doing egg yolks or a whole egg?
  • Options
    We will do the whole egg. The AAP says that whole eggs are fine, and that there's no evidence you need to wait for 1 year. 
    BabyFruit Ticker

BFP 3.8.16  EDD 11.20.16

• Options
    We'll also do whole eggs...and strawberries and peanut butter, etc. AAP's new guidelines only restrict honey to one year and our ped agrees.
    11 months old! #andintoeverything
  • Options

We do ground beef in purees, she loves it.

As for eggs, we have done them scrambled (egg and yolk), she is so-so on them.  Quite odd, because I LOVE eggs! 

Pregnancy Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"