February 2013 Moms
Options

MSG?

i have some Lay's chips and they're so delicious.  My brother checked the ingredients and they have MSG in them!  Is that off-limits?  It doesn't bother me normally (gives my brother headaches, but not me).

Re: MSG?

• Options

High doses have been shown to cross the placental barrier in mice, but no test has been conducted in humans. 

The FDA tags it as 'generally recommended as safe for consumption', but I wouldn't over do it. It's very high in sodium, so limiting it is wise. Every day is too much I'd say, but I'd personally feel okay with every once in a while.  

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

Even before I was pregnant, I didn't eat MSG. It's really bad for your brain. Also, you have to be extra careful because a lot of things that don't list "MSG" on their ingredients actually do have it. They just call it by another name (ie. spices, natural flavors, artificial flavors) I go by Michael Pollan's rule that if there's an ingredient that I don't know what it is, I don't eat it! 

Occasionally, I do eat things with MSG. At a party or whatever. I just keep it to a minimum and don't buy that kind of stuff so that I don't have it at home. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"