Nurseries and Baby Gear
Options

Newborn - footed sleepers vs sleeper gowns?

I have quite a number of footed sleepers already, but only 2 sleeper gowns?  LO is due end of October and we are in Boston (and we keep our house cool), so it seems like the footed sleepers will be warmer; plus many of mine are made of a thicker material.

OTOH, I read somewhere that sleeper gowns are great esp at the beginning b/c of the ease of diaper change.  The gowns I have are just cotton, kind of thin, so I don't know if they'll be warm enough?  Are they really that much better, more convenient for the frequent diaper changes?  I'm just not sure if I should go buy some more gowns.

TTC since 10/2008  RE consult 6/2010 Dx:Unexplaied IF

Failed multiple cycles of Clomid+TI and Clomid+IUI

3/2011 inj+IUI #1 BFP. 4/2011 missed m/c. 

Fall 2011 inj+IUI #2&3 BFN

Jan/Feb 2012 IVF#1 BFP 2/23  EDD 10/31/2012 ~~~ Halloween ~~~

Our IVF miracle, Baby Boy M, arrived on 11/8/2012!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Newborn - footed sleepers vs sleeper gowns?

• Options
    Footed sleepers. We tried gowns, but they make it tough to swaddle IMO. And footed sleepers are better for all around similar warmth distribution.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • Options
    I never liked the gowns. DS would always wiggle around and the gown would ride up and his legs were totally exposed. Yeah, it's a little easier for diapers changes, but if you use the zipper sleepers it's pretty easy as well.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I preferred footed sleepers with zippers (TCP has great ones). The gowns ride up and on the odd occasion that I'd be changing a diaper when he was asleep, I would wake him up 100% of the time trying to hike the gown all the way up.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imagejuliane2004:
    Footed sleepers. We tried gowns, but they make it tough to swaddle IMO. And footed sleepers are better for all around similar warmth distribution.

Ditto this exactly. And like another poster mentioned, I like zippers much more than snaps. 

• Options
    I've only used the feety pajamas.  I have a few sleeper gowns, but I haven't used them because LO sleeps in the RNP and I wouldn't be able to strap him in, while in the sleep sack.
    Renee- 37 DH - Chad - 39
    2/06 - surprise pregnancy - twins
    3/06 - m/c 1st baby at 6 weeks 
    5/06 -2nd baby had no heartbeat at 14 wks.
    D&E - Bled out. Blood transfusions. Week in ICU - Cheated Death!
    Diagnosis: Blood clotting and bleeding disorder, immune issues, & cervical stenosis
    5/10 - 1st IVF cycle - BFN
    FET - 10/12/10 - BFN
    1/11 - IVF with PGD - BFN
    IVF - May - BFN
    6/11 New RE - fingers crossed!
    9/11 - IVF - 4 transferred
    10/13 - BFP!!
    It's a boy! Clint Michael, Due in June!!!

• Options
    We had one gown and it was a pain to get on to DD. We used it maybe 4 times and put it away, we much preferred footed sleepers.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers PitaPata Dog tickers Screen Shot 2012-11-15 at 8.25.16 AM
  • Options
    Everyone always recs the gowns but I found them to be a PITA. Hated pulling the thick elastic bottom over the head and arms. I used one twice with DD and switched to snapping shirts and pants or footed sleepers.
  • Options
    I liked the footed pajamas but I prefered a zippered sleep sack rather than a sleep gown. They were super easy to get on, and the good ones zip from the top down so it makes diaper changes easier.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    We had 2 gowns (we didn't need them and barely used them).  They were awesome for changing easily...but the footed sleepers kept DD warm on all parts. Better heat distribution as a PP said.
  • Options
    imagelucy460:

imageg8trkim:
    I never liked the gowns. DS would always wiggle around and the gown would ride up and his legs were totally exposed. Yeah, it's a little easier for diapers changes, but if you use the zipper sleepers it's pretty easy as well.

Same. I really didn't like the gowns very  much, and especially for warmth, fleece sleepers are the way to go. (Really, any sleepers, it's just that fleece are the warmest.)

Ditto.  DS had a couple of gowns and they were retired quickly.  I wouldn't buy them again.  I loved the footed sleepers and DS wore those all the time.

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options

I guess I'm in the minority.  I loved the gowns for nighttime with DD.  I could change a diaper in no time with my eyes closed.

As with anything though, don't buy any more until you try them out.  All babies are different.  : )

TTC since 11/05...ectopic pg 4/08...early m/c 6/09...BFP 10/5/09!
    Nora B...June 15, 2010...8lbs, 8oz...Med-free birth!

TTC #2 since 7/11...cycle #3 of Clomid + IUI = BFP
    Malcolm...September 21, 2012...8lbs, 6oz...Another med-free birth!

• Options
    I liked both.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

imageg8trkim:

We were the same with DD.

• Options

I, too, am in the minority - I love the gowns, and DD still wears them. We keep our house super cold, and she was born in Feb. I'd put her in a onesie, a sleeper gown, and a halo sleep sack with swaddle wrap. And a hat. Once it warmed up, I put her in a light cotton nightgown, and a sleep sack. I just found them to be SO much easier than trying to wrangle her legs into a footed sleeper.

I had a couple Circo ones from Target that are great - they have a much thinner elastic band at the bottom and don't seem to ride up or down too much.

• Options
    In theory the gowns were what I wanted to use and made the most sense for convenience. But we tried them and they rode up her legs. I love footed PJs and also agree that the zipper ones are the easiest especially in the beginning when you are changing a lot! Now that the baby STTN I still buy zippered ones when I can but snaps are getting to be ok now.

Lillian April 17, 2012
  • Options

imageg8trkim:

Totally agree, footed sleepers are way better

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers Anniversary
  • Options
    I feel like I have to defend the gowns here. lol. :) I LOVED the gowns when DS was born.  I didn't have any problems swaddling him when he was in a gown.  I swaddled using blankets and one of those swaddle blanket/sack things (I can't remember the technical name).  DS's room was always cold and he didn't have any issues.  They only need 1 more layer than we do. But, I would say just wait and see what you like best.  :)  You get a vote for gowns from me.  :)
  • Options
    Footed sleepers with either zips or snaps. I tried my son in the gown once and it was miserable he'd wake when I changed him in the gowns and when he exposed his legs he'd cry(October baby as well and his legs got cold) plus it was difficult to put him in his carseat
    IAmPregnant Ticker}
  • Options
    Footed sleepers with zippers are the way to go!  I had a few gowns for DS, but literally used them a total of two times!  I really disliked them.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

Overall, I didn't like the gowns because they would ride up. Also, she'd have to wear socks with it and they were always falling off.

However, we used them a lot in the very beginning because DD was jaundice and we needed to put the wallaby against her bare back. The gown was perfect for this. Pretty much for the first 5 days she was in a gown, wrapped in a blanket, with the giant cord hanging out.

• Options
    imagesuperned:

I guess I'm in the minority.  I loved the gowns for nighttime with DD.  I could change a diaper in no time with my eyes closed.

As with anything though, don't buy any more until you try them out.  All babies are different.  : )

Ditto this. I really think the gowns were easier, especially at night. It was easy to change diapers and such. I also had no problem swaddling while DD was in a gown. I HATED the footy pajamas that buttoned. it was so time consuming to button all the little buttons and usually by the time that i got to the top the buttons were all off and mismatched, prob had something to do with being sleep deprived also.  

my blog
    Help me spread Urea Cycle Disorder Awareness!! 2011 DD diagnosed with UCD 2012 started process for IVF with PGD 8/9/12 started stims- 8/20/12 ER- 20 retrieved, 19 ICSI'D, 12 biopsied 5 viable unaffected embryos 8/25/12 ET-1 "awesome" embryo-9/4/12 1st beta- BFP with HPT at 7dp5dt- Beta #1 9/4/12- 210!, Beta #2 9/6/12- 465, First scan on 9/19/12 Baby Boy due 5/13/13- diagnosed with a single umbilical artery
  • Options

I loved the gowns for early on around the house, but we used the footed pajamas as well. We used the sleep sacks or socks if he seemed to get too chilly, but the gowns made diaper changes really easy.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    We used the gowns for two nights, both nights LO would wake up SCREAMING because he'd stick a foot out of the gown and he'd be cold. We switch the the sleepers. =)
  • Options

I loved the sleeper gowns and didn't have too much of an issue with them riding up or swaddling. However, when DS was born it was 72F and really didn't get colder than 68F. 

• Options
    Hey RANDOM STRANGER thanks for the great advice... tee heee  saw spikeys pic and knew this was you.. ! 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Options
    I only used gowns - had a bunch of footed pjs but with all the diaper changes a newborn goes through I didn't want to deal with them.  Never had an issue swaddling with the gown on. I started using sleepers at 3-4 months and then only cared for the zippered ones. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    This is totally personal preference.  I would have a handful of each and then get more of what you like.  I didn't like the gowns because I didn't like the way they rode up, they seemed drafty, and I couldn't strap her into anything (swing, bouncer) with them on unless I wanted to hike them up and expose her legs.  I actually preferred the button up footed pajamas for the daytime because I hated the way that some of the zippers bubbled out.  I am just really particular I guess, but whatever it works for me :)  I did use the zipper ones for nighttime though.  Super easy to change.  I never had issues with getting her legs into them.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"