Health & Exercise

Weight loss during pregnancy

Hi everyone, I was wondering what everyone's opinion is on losing weight while pregnant? I'm 5'3" and about 180lbs. Although I have a lot of muscle (I am a former dancer), I still consider myself to be overweight. I am overall very healthy and don't have any health issues at all. I used to run 3-4 miles, 4-5 times/week up until about 2 months ago when I hurt my back and had to take a break. We found out 4 days ago that I am pregnant and I'm wondering if it's safe for me to start running again with the intention of staying healthy and losing weight. I have a few slip-ups here and there, but I generally eat healthy and have been taking prenatal vitamins since we first started TTC. I'm trying to eat even healthier now that I know that I'm pregnant. Of course I plan to talk about this with my doc during my first prenatal visit, but I just wanted to hear what you ladies have to say. Does anyone have experience with losing weight safely during pregnancy? Of course the baby is my #1 priority, so I would never do anything that could jeopardize the pregnancy or hurt the baby in any way!

Re: Weight loss during pregnancy

• I was told I could keep running if my body was used to running.  I also see a personal trainer.... I'll know for sure when I go back to my doctors office, but according to the scale at the gym I lost some weight.  Though my guess this is mostly water, since I'm not as bloated anymore.
    *** DS born February 21, 2013 - Toronto, Canada  ***
    imageimage
  • I don't think its possible to loose weight during pregnancy unless you have really bad m/s.   I was always told to try and maintain my weight gain.  I topped 209 on the scale and started at 133...EKK!  just keep drinking lots of water and skip the high sodium/fast foods
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm not a big athlete or anything. I can't run due to ashtma but I do walk everyday plus I have 2 other kids who keep me busy and on the go. I have lost weight and it's all water and fat because the dr says the baby is right on track measuring only 1 day ahead. I started this pregnancy at 191 and I now weigh 184. I have been eating healthier and walking every morning. I cut out most caffeine (can't live without my morning cup). If you feel comfortable running do it. If you feel weak, dizzy or like your pushing yourself too hard stop and rest. I have to stop sometimes because I get a sharp pain in my side when I walk. Usually the 3rd lap (I do 4-5 or 30 mins.) I would just say to listen to your body and don't push yourself, but exercise is really good for you and the baby. It also makes delivery easier if your in shape. I'm big but I'm in shape and plan to keep losing weight as long as my nutrishionist says it's safe. I'm losing weight and the baby is healthy, can't argue with that. I plan to keep losing weight after. My dr said I should be about 115 for my height - 5'3".
  • if your doctor is ok with you continuing your current level of exercise, then do it. Most doctors are fine with this. However, as you get further along, certain exercises might have to be altered.

In my experience, running was fine until about 24 weeks. Once my belly started getting big, the pain in my pelvic area became increasingly bad as the day went on. If I did 5 miles in the morning, by mid afternoon, I could barely stand up or walk without really hurting. Also, your breathing can be hard to manage b/c of the room the baby now takes up.

With regards to losing weight, no, you should not be doing that. You need an extra 300 calories a day from good nutrients to give to the baby. Your baby is now going to be taking up your vitamins and nutrients that used to go to just you. You need the extra calories to supplment and support a growing fetus.

You aren't overweight and I can't believe there would be a single doctor that would be ok with you purposefully trying to lose weight while pregnant. If this is big concern for you, go see a prenatal nutritionist or look up some menu plans online.

staying healthy and active is one thing, trying to diet while being pregnant is another.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Hi!

I started pregnancy similarly. I'm 5'6 but weighed 155, and my OB told me to "not gain any weight" during the pregnancy. I was shocked, as my "normal" weight (running 3-5 miles daily) was around 140, so my extra 15 lbs did not seem like enough. He explained to me that as long as I ate a healthy diet, the quality vs. quantity thing, the baby will get all the nutrients it needs and can rob extra growth calories from me. I've been sticking to a 2000 calorie/day diet and exercising five days per week on the elliptical machine (I usually do 45 minutes, and keep my heart rate around 140). I did stop running because I was worried about causing too much stress/MC. With all of that said, I have still gained about 12 pounds (@ 23 weeks).

I would suggest just focusing on being healthy, eating the best diet you can, and sticking to 2000 calories or so. Along with regular exercise, this should prevent gaining more weight, and you may even lose a little along the way. :)

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"