February 2013 Moms
Options

Boy Name Idea Gone Bad?

This weekend I woke up at like 5am and the first thing that came to my mind was a baby boy name. I don't know where it came from because I don't know anyone with the name but I mentioned the name to my husband and he actually liked the name too.

The name idea is: Everett.  Everett is an old variant of Evered, a name derived from the Old English Eoforheard (brave as a wild boar), which is a com-pounding of the elements eofor (a wild boar) and heard (strong, brave, hearty). 

Here is our dilemma: it sounds similar to his 17 year old  boy's name, which is Evan. Evan does not live with us but none the same my husband mentioned it as a possible concern.

Does anyone else see that as a big deal?

Image and video hosting by TinyPicimage

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Boy Name Idea Gone Bad?

• Options
    I don't see it as a big deal. I actually like those two names together when you tell people about your kids!
  • Options

My suggestion would be to ask Evan how he feels about it. The names are similar sounding, but if Evan doesn't live with you, you could probably use the name. Is Evan excited about/interested in the baby? Would he feel honored that the names are similar or maybe feel like he was being replaced?

A name DH and I considered is Emmett, similar to Everett but not as close to Evan. Good luck!

Married 2/15/09, BFP #1 02/03/12 - EDD 10/13/12, Missed M/C 03/15/12@9w5d (measuring 8w3d) They weren't kidding when they said "Beware the Ides of March" Image and video hosting by TinyPic BFP#2 06/13/12 - Emily Samantha born on Feb 9, 2013!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    They sound completely different to me- I love the name!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imagedbowitz:

My suggestion would be to ask Evan how he feels about it. The names are similar sounding, but if Evan doesn't live with you, you could probably use the name. Is Evan excited about/interested in the baby? Would he feel honored that the names are similar or maybe feel like he was being replaced?

A name DH and I considered is Emmett, similar to Everett but not as close to Evan. Good luck!

Evan lives two blocks away from us (maybe even less) with his Mom. He is a Senior in High School and we see him maybe once every 2-3 months. He is at that age where the only thing that matters is his music and friends. When we found out we were having a boy, Evan didn't even say a word about it. So to answer the question, I think since the age difference is so vast, he doesn't seem to really care one way or the other.... Kind of sad.

• Options

I don't see that as a big deal at all - or even as a little deal! ;D The names are not that similar except for both starting with E.

Keep in mind, however, that I have two sisters named Sarah... (The second one was adopted at four years old with that name already in place so what can you do, right?)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagedraeray:
    imagedbowitz:

Evan lives two blocks away from us (maybe even less) with his Mom. He is a Senior in High School and we see him maybe once every 2-3 months. He is at that age where the only thing that matters is his music and friends. When we found out we were having a boy, Evan didn't even say a word about it. So to answer the question, I think since the age difference is so vast, he doesn't seem to really care one way or the other.... Kind of sad.

I hear you, he's a teenage boy. Hopefully Evan will be a little more interested once the baby is born :) In that case, then go for Everett. I think it's a great name!

Married 2/15/09, BFP #1 02/03/12 - EDD 10/13/12, Missed M/C 03/15/12@9w5d (measuring 8w3d) They weren't kidding when they said "Beware the Ides of March" Image and video hosting by TinyPic BFP#2 06/13/12 - Emily Samantha born on Feb 9, 2013!
  • Options
    I like the name and I don't think it is a big deal at all. To me they aren't that much alike.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    Everett is my #1 boys name.  It's a family name on my side.  I don't think Everett and Evan are very similar, but you could consider calling him Rett or Rhett if it bothered you.
    BabyFetus Ticker
    Baby #1, born 3/1/13, Baby #2 due 12/13/14
  • Options
    Everett is at the top of my boy list :) I think it sounds completely different from Evan. 
  • Options
    I like the name, and I think that Evan and Everett both go very well together.
  • Options
    I wouldn't even give it a second thought! Love the name.
    BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

Thanks everyone! It's reassuring that we actually have a name idea that strangers like (since our other three no one seemed to like when I posted on the Baby Name Board---never again Cool  ) 

Now to talk the hubby into believing that it isn't too close to Evan's name. I think I'll keep this name a secret from our  friends and family though, including Evan's mom!

• Options
    I love that name its very creative, I'm sure Evan wouldn't be bothered by the name but it is important to ask him, even if he is a teenagerand probably won't care. I grew up with sisters and we all 3 had similiar names, Amber, Ashley,April. Everyone got our names mixed up at holidays and stuff and it started to get irksome, but we were also closer in age too.
  • Options
    I don't think it's a big deal.
  • Options
    I really like the name Everett and here's a different perspective:  maybe Evan will see it as kind of a tribute or at least as link between them.  Something like, they arent trying to distance me frm new baby from but are thinking of me as they think of the name...  Like the Duggars with the same first letter to all their names. Maybe?
    Pregnancy Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

If he lived with you and they were similar age I could see it MAYBE being an issue (calling up the stairs, somewhat muffled voices "Phone is for you Ev..." both kids come running).

Since this is not the case I think Everett is a lovely choice.  I've actually thought about that name if this lil bean turns out to be a boy!

Funny you should mention that though.  DH's aunt just had another baby and named her Hannah.  This wouldn't be a huge deal if the sibling only 18 months ahead of her weren't named Anna.  That will be a nightmare.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"