Nurseries and Baby Gear
Options

What does baby wear until cord stump falls off?

It seems like everything would rub the cord stump and irritate it. I know onesies aren't best and to get the side-snap tees, but then won't pants rub the stump? Should I rely on sleepers?

Any with newborn experience, what did your LO's wear the first few weeks? These are also the items I should purchase in newborn size, correct? Most other kind of "cutesie" items, I have bought in 0-3 and 3-6 month sizes.

Started TTC 2/2009
Started fertility treatments 11/2010
Ovarian dysfunction, LPD, male factor
6 failed medicated IUI's
Pregnant 5/2011 - Miscarriage at 6 weeks due to triploidy
Decided to adopt - 6/2012
SURPRISE! Pregnant without intervention - 7/2012 
Sweet Baby James Born 3/2013
Decided to be "One and Done"

....OR NOT.
Pregnant 12/2018 despite birth control pills
Here we go again...
Due 8/26/19!

Re: What does baby wear until cord stump falls off?

• Options
    Both of mine wore sleepers and onesies.  The cord stump will be fine.
    photo a42489fa-98a3-436b-b31b-266d7d204e5d_zpsde5f201a.jpg
    my read shelf:
    Molly's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)Follow Me on Pinterest
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Anniversary
  • Options

imagembgreenwalt:
    Both of mine wore sleepers and onesies.  The cord stump will be fine.

Yep, this.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I wouldn't worry too much about the umbilical cord stump; I don't remember it being an issue at all and seem to remember it falling off within a week or so.

As for sizes ... It'll depend a lot on how big your baby is. My DD was just over 6 lbs. at birth and left the hospital at just under 6 lbs. because they typically lose a few ounces. I had heard not to waste my money on newborn sizes but 0 to 3 were comical on her. Luckily my mom was smarter than I was and bought smaller clothing for her to wear home. In fact, she was wearing preemie size her first week! We got quite a bit of use out of newborn.

Someone with a 9 lb. kid would probably tell you something completely different.

ETA: And in terms of what she wore ... I put her in cute outfits during the day because we got a lot of gifts and had a lot of company. At night she either wore a long sleeve sidesnap Tshirt or onesie with a swaddle blanket for warmth.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imageNechie122:
    I wouldn't worry too much about the umbilical cord stump; I don't remember it being an issue at all and seem to remember it falling off within a week or so. As for sizes ... It'll depend a lot on how big your baby is. My DD was just over 6 lbs. at birth and left the hospital at just under 6 lbs. because they typically lose a few ounces. I had heard not to waste my money on newborn sizes but 0 to 3 were comical on her. Luckily my mom was smarter than I was and bought smaller clothing for her to wear home. In fact, she was wearing preemie size her first week! We got quite a bit of use out of newborn. Someone with a 9 lb. kid would probably tell you something completely different. ETA: And in terms of what she wore ... I put her in cute outfits during the day because we got a lot of gifts and had a lot of company. At night she either wore a long sleeve sidesnap Tshirt or onesie with a swaddle blanket for warmth.
    I agree? We didn't use onsies or undershorts much, my dks were always hot. They dressed for the day (tshirts/shirts that snap at the crotch aren't bad, you'll tire of yanking their shirt down). Sleepers were for night. None of these bothered the cord stump. 

As for size, for us, only ds fit newborn clothing. Dd4 couldn't get in newborn clothes or diapers, she was 10 lb 12 oz. all my kids were in at least 18-24m by age one (so keep tags on and don't buy too far ahead until you know how fast they grow). 

• Options
    Grant wore sleepers and onesies for the most part. When they're that young their clothes aren't tight so it wasn't an issue. He wore the Huggies Little Snugglers bc they had an opening for the cord.

• Options
    Never had an issue with any of our clothes irritating the stump. We used onsies pretty exclusively and DS was fine.
  • Options
    DD wore sleepers or onesies most of the time. The stump wasn't irritated. It came off before she was 2 weeks old. 
  • Options

Thank you all for your responses! Nervous FTM! Knew I could count on the veteran parents to be the voice of reason :)

Started TTC 2/2009
    Started fertility treatments 11/2010
    Ovarian dysfunction, LPD, male factor
    6 failed medicated IUI's
    Pregnant 5/2011 - Miscarriage at 6 weeks due to triploidy
    Decided to adopt - 6/2012
    SURPRISE! Pregnant without intervention - 7/2012 
    Sweet Baby James Born 3/2013
    Decided to be "One and Done"

....OR NOT.
    Pregnant 12/2018 despite birth control pills
    Here we go again...
    Due 8/26/19!
  • Options

I was worried about this too but we put them in everything and it was just fine.  I think almost - if not all newborn diapers have the cutouts for the stump.   I know for sure that Pampers, Target, and Huggies all did.  Our babies were in preemie stuff for the first three weeks, and now at almost 4 months can still rock some newborn stuff.  The 0-3 fits perfectly but it does totally depend on how big your baby is when it's born.  I have three friends who had babies close to 10lbs and none of them every wore newborn, they all went right to 0-3.  :)

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options

She wore onesies and sleepers.  My LO was in preemie clothes for 4 weeks and newborn for a few months after.  She was about 10lbs when we started with 3 month clothes.  At 12.4lbs some 3 month stuff is still big.

I would get newborn clothes, but maybe only wash a couple things until you know what size your LO will be. 

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

my little guy just wore onesies.  We brought him home during a heatwave, and he did just fine in the onesies.

Renee- 37 DH - Chad - 39
    2/06 - surprise pregnancy - twins
    3/06 - m/c 1st baby at 6 weeks 
    5/06 -2nd baby had no heartbeat at 14 wks.
    D&E - Bled out. Blood transfusions. Week in ICU - Cheated Death!
    Diagnosis: Blood clotting and bleeding disorder, immune issues, & cervical stenosis
    5/10 - 1st IVF cycle - BFN
    FET - 10/12/10 - BFN
    1/11 - IVF with PGD - BFN
    IVF - May - BFN
    6/11 New RE - fingers crossed!
    9/11 - IVF - 4 transferred
    10/13 - BFP!!
    It's a boy! Clint Michael, Due in June!!!

• Options
    My guy wore oneses with an outfit during the day and sleepers at night- we just folded his diapers over and were careful when pulling onesies down.  A friend had suggest t-shirts or kimono tops, but I found with his belly exposed, things seemed to be rubbing the cord more, so we just kept his tummy covered up. 
    BabyFetus Ticker; Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We put her in sleepers, onesies and kimono shirts and pants. The stump will be fine! 

Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"