March 2013 Moms
Options

Compliment or Insult (NBR)

Last night we went to dinner a friend of DH's from work and his fiance. We've known them about 4 years. After dinner they came inside to chat a bit and his fiance commented how our home looks so 'lived in'.

Is that a compliment or an insult, because I wasn't too sure how to take it. Mind you, I'd spent a good two hours before they got there cleaning up the downstairs, vacuuming, dusting, etc. Yet, it still came off as a tad unfriendly. 

Thoughts?

TTC since June 2010
5 Angels

Lilypie - (hlC0)

Re: Compliment or Insult (NBR)

• Options
    Hm I don't know. I've never used those words before. I have told others that their home looks so homey and warm - meaning inviting.  I could definitely see how lived in can sound negative. 
  • Options

I think (without knowing this person or the tone she said it in), that it might be a compliment.  My house is cozy, and definitely has a 'lived in' vibe.  I don't make people take off their shoes or follow them around with a swiffer, and my home invites people to sit down and stay a while.

Conversely, my best friend has a gorgeous home with expensive furniture that looks showroom quality, but I never really relax and feel comfortable there.  It certainly doesn't look lived in.  Too austere!  Maybe that sort of style is more this woman's type?  Then again, who cares?  I'll bet your house is awesome!

_kel

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I would think its a compliment. Have you been to their house? Some of my friends don't even have pictures or anything decorative on the walls at all. 
  • Options
    What was she referring? That you've decorated or that there's clutter? And how'd she say it? I guess I wouldn't want someone to say that about our apartment...how strange, though!
    Pregnancy Ticker
    2010: 41 books, 2011: 31 books, 2012: 100 books
  • Options

I think I would take it to mean homey, and give her the benefit of the doubt. Though I might let body language and tone play in. If she looked very uncomfortable or disgusted while she said it, I guess I would have to take it the other way.

I would probably not use the words "lived in" to describe my parents? house, but I could see how someone might use that saying... I think it is just very comfortable and inviting.  While my house does not really have that inviting feel, I hate having clutter around and I think it can come off as cold.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Yea I guess I'll give her the benefit of the doubt. I think she may have been a little tipsy so I'm going with poor word choice. IDK- it just struck me as odd, it's not exactly the wording I'd suggest using to describe someones home.
    TTC since June 2010
    5 Angels

Lilypie - (hlC0)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"