VBAC
Options

32 weeks and I'm not getting a straight answer...

Last April I had a C/S with my daughter (she was breech) and exactly 18 months later we are expecting again! We found out at our Sono yesterday that baby #2 is bottom up. YAY!

I have been seeing the same Doc this pregnancy that I saw with my daughter last year. During one of my first appointments, I asked if a VBAC was a possibility and he said yes it was, though having had a C/S previously my chances of a successful VBAC were 50/50. I was concerned about the short amount of time that had elapsed since my C/S, but he was not. He did however mention that if the baby got to be over 8lbs he would be concerned.

OK... So yesterday after the Sono I asked again if everything was still looking good for a VBAC. He wouldn't give a straight answer. He basically said "We'll see" and we will talk about it again at my 36 week appt after the internal. He also reminded me my chances were only 50/50 and he doesn't want the baby getting too big (FYI baby was measuring average for 32 weeks).

So here is my concern. I'm worried that I'm going to get all the way to the end and he is going to come up with an excuse for another C/S. Do you think my concern is valid? Has anyone been in a similar situation and still had a successful VBAC with a not so willing Doc? And when is it too late to search for someone who is fully supportive?

Many Thanks

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: 32 weeks and I'm not getting a straight answer...

• Options

You have a very valid concern because it sounds like he is setting you up for a RCS.  

You have a cesarean because your daughter was breech. Not because she was a big baby and you couldn't push her out and not because you had failure to progress.  The 50/50 baloney and the over 8lb baby crock are huge red flags in my book and I would have probably searched elsewhere right away. In my world, and 8lbs baby is not big...that is normal.

I know of women who have been able to switch OBs this late in the game but that did not include VBAC situation so maybe someone else will pipe up.

Have you thought about looking into a doula though? With a doctor who is not 100% supportive I would definitely look into a doula to help increase your odd for a successful VBAC as well as having a strong support team to express your wants and needs to your OB while in labor.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

He's definitely setting you up for a c/s.  Why won't he allow you to push out a baby over 8 lbs?  While above average, it's still a normal baby size.  And why are your odds only 50/50 just because of a prior c/s?  Sounds more like those odds are that way because he really isn't intending on letting it happen.

Sorry it sounds like you are getting the bait and switch from him.  I'd insist on talking about him more at the next appt.  Also, you might want to consider declining the internal.  He might be the type to tell you that you aren't making progress at 36 weeks and therefore have to have a c/s. (I delivered at 41 weeks and made no progress until that DAY).  And as an OB, he should know that's a possibility.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers image image
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

The 50-50 thing due to prior C/S is BS. 75% are successful and you had a unlikely to recur cause for your VBAC (breech) so you're odds are good given that baby is already head down. 

I would run from this OB and find a new one ASAP if you want a VBAC. This doc does not want you to VBAC.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Your concerns are valid. The 8 pound thing is ridiculous. My VBAC baby was 8.2 and I am a petite person. I don't think 32 weeks is too late to change providers, I think it's a good idea if you really want a VBAC.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    definite bait-and-switch. sorry :(
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Yeah that Dr doesn't sound like he's going to be letting you attempt a VBAC at all. For what it's worth, I went to a day shy of 42 weeks with my VBAC baby and I was told as well that I can't have babies over 8lbs vaginally with my first (8lbs 2oz). My VBAC baby was 8lbs 8oz at 41wks 6days. I would try finding another Dr or have someone there with you to advocate for you since they might try to drug you up or wait until you're vulnerable and talk you into a c/s.

BabyFruit Ticker image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"