Food Allergy

C/P from BF board re: mucus poop (family history of protein allergy)

Backstory: DS1 had a protein allergy (dairy and soy) that was diagnosed at 5w5d.  I remember him having green mucus poop that quickly turned into bloody stool. 

ETA: We ended up having to switch to Nutramigen with him.

Now DS2 is having mucus poop, but it's still bright yellow (no green, no blood).  Is that normal, or should I be concerned about the allergy in him?  It's still somewhat seedy, but the consistency is very slimy.  This has happened in only a few diapers (not all of them).

He's exclusively breast fed--never had a drop of formula thus far.

FWIW I've also been completely dairy free for a week now, so I am thoroughly confused.  I'm just very paranoid about the allergy showing up again...

Any help/thoughts/personal anecdotes would be greatly appreciated!  TIA!
DS1 November 2009
DS2 August 2012

Re: C/P from BF board re: mucus poop (family history of protein allergy)

• If the poop has mucus most likely there is a food intolerance there. The blood could be microscopic and only detected with a stool sample test at the pedi office. Your LO doesn't have to have blood in stool to have a food intolerance, by the time there is blood in it, it means that their digestive tract is completely irritated and bleeding, which comes out in the poop. He could have an intolerance to soy if you haven't cut that out, like lots of other babies. If I were you I would ask your pedi to do a test for blood in stool and if you really want to keep breastfeeding I would cut ALL soy ASAP (even hidden) and wait at least 2 weeks (better 4 weeks) to see results. Sometimes it takes weeks for the offending food to get out of your system and then the baby's system but you are only going to know by trying these things. I would also keep a very detailed food journal to try to find a pattern, especially because rarely babies have intolerances to other things besides dairy and soy. GL
    BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

imageimage
  • Well...I think it's definitely an allergy now.  DS2 now has a rash on his chest that looks like baby acne--from what Dr. Google says, it sounds like an allergic reaction.  The rash, coupled with the mucus poop definitely makes me think allergy.  Ugh.  I was so hopeful that we wouldn't have this again...

So my next question is: does anyone have any experience with EBF and MSPI?  Were you able to successfully BF without (or with very little) supplementing?  I really want to continue BFing and avoid Nutramigen again.

DS1 November 2009
    DS2 August 2012
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"