2nd Trimester

Nissan Juke and Mommyhood

I don't know if anyone would know, but what do you suggest doing with a car that you just purchased a week before finding out you were pregnant and then realizing this car is insanely small inside and can't fit much of anything in it? :(

I have a 2012 Nissan Juke, which I love.  From my experiencing carting my 10 month old nephew around in it, it's rediculously small.  The carset barely fits in and out of the back door due to how narrow the opening is.  There isn't much of any "trunk space" and to fit a full stroller back there, you have to fold down a seat which leaves things CRAMMED to the max.  

I bought a Graco carseat/stroller set which I know will be too big but i'll worry about that once baby gets here in December.  A friend suggested I get a Graco Snug Rider Frame Stroller which she says fold up much more compactly.

Had I only known I was pregnant when I traded in my previous car for this, I NEVER would have.  I'm freaking out and can't do anything as far as selling it since I owe alot more than it's worth.

Ideas, suggestions?  Maybe I'm just SOL. 

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Nissan Juke and Mommyhood

• No words of wisdom here... I'm on the other side of thngs, I have an old 2-door Blazer and need to go out and buy a new vehicle now that I'm KU'd.  I love my Blazer and will miss it dearly - are there things I should be looking for in my new car?  (currently considering the Ford Escape, Hyundai Tuscon, Mazda CX-5)
    *** DS born February 21, 2013 - Toronto, Canada  ***
    imageimage
  • I would have tried to do something about it the week i found out i was preg- the dealership might have been a bit more willing to trade at face value knowing your situation rather than 5 months later. :/

I am SURE you will be able to make it work... What does DH drive- maybe switch cars if your will be driven more with the child?

photo ecba2e48-bd74-4395-8ca1-47ae6b5df68a_zpsfd491ced.jpg photo 5d7e0910-4031-45ed-a61f-09e4245b7ac6_zps1b85690c.jpg photo 341b9e4e-8eea-4939-9d55-a1c1cf07a00c_zpsa176d7dc.jpg

photo 84a2920e-2954-4acf-9275-ad8708055b12_zpseb05b8cb.jpg

Me and DH - 26years old; IF DX: PCOS, Hypothyroid/Hashimotos(me)
    IVF #1 April 2012- 15 ER (4/13), 13 Fertilized, 1 transfered (4/16), 3 frozen
    Beta #1(4/28)-127 Beta #2(4/30)-301 Beta #3(5/7)-5570!!
    First ultrasound showed 1 strong little heart beat! (5/25) 7/16.. ITS A BOY!
    Brayden Nicholas Born Dec 29 2012 - 7 lbs 10 oz 20 in
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • imagehappy_un-bride:
    No words of wisdom here... I'm on the other side of thngs, I have an old 2-door Blazer and need to go out and buy a new vehicle now that I'm KU'd.  I love my Blazer and will miss it dearly - are there things I should be looking for in my new car?  (currently considering the Ford Escape, Hyundai Tuscon, Mazda CX-5)

I would just make sure it's safe and has plenty of room for a car set to fit comfortably in the back seat and also for the stroller to fit in the trunk area :)  Those are my only words of wisdom... I wish I had better advice :)  I would think any of the models you mentioned would be baby friendly. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • imageLferr417:

I would have tried to do something about it the week i found out i was preg- the dealership might have been a bit more willing to trade at face value knowing your situation rather than 5 months later. :/

I am SURE you will be able to make it work... What does DH drive- maybe switch cars if your will be driven more with the child?

Yeah, I know the dealership won't do anything about it now and I doubt they would've when I first found out either... typical car sharks.  Honestly, my car was the last thing on my mind when I got the shock of my life finding out I was expecting :)

My boyfriend drives a Dodge Magnum which is basically a huge boat, so I guess if need be, we can switch off and take his car when we go on trips that require alot of baby baggage :)  Where there's a will, there's a way, I guess. :) 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • My husband bought a sports car the week before we found out we were KU with our son.  My son has ridden in it twice ever - and his trunk space fits one thing - the spare tire.  My only suggestion is to try to pay it down as quickly as you can and maybe sell it as soon as you could break even?  We got DH's car paid off fairly quickly so I could upgrade my vehicle to something larger. 

ds #1 | our perfect miracle born 39w1d | 12.9.2009 loss #1 | natural m/c 7/2010 (~8w) loss #2 | chemical pregnancy 6/2011 (4w4d) loss #3 | chemical pregnancy 7/2011 (4w3d) loss #4 | natural m/c 11/2011 (10w1d) RPL Testing 12/2011. Results 100% normal. ds #2 | our 2nd perfect miracle born 36w3d | 12.31.2012
  • Unfortunately, I'm in a 6 year loan and can't afford to pay it off any sooner.  It sucks but I hope it works out :)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • imagefallenangel84:
    Unfortunately, I'm in a 6 year loan and can't afford to pay it off any sooner.  It sucks but I hope it works out :)

Ick.  Sorry to hear that.  All I can say is that you have my sympathy.  DH and I have regretted that car for years now . . .  

ds #1 | our perfect miracle born 39w1d | 12.9.2009 loss #1 | natural m/c 7/2010 (~8w) loss #2 | chemical pregnancy 6/2011 (4w4d) loss #3 | chemical pregnancy 7/2011 (4w3d) loss #4 | natural m/c 11/2011 (10w1d) RPL Testing 12/2011. Results 100% normal. ds #2 | our 2nd perfect miracle born 36w3d | 12.31.2012
  • The only thing to do is make it work.  Find smaller carseats and strollers.
  • I had a 2 door Toyota Echo when DS1 was a baby. I did not get an infant seat. Instead I got a convertible with extra padding for a newborn (britain decathlon). You can now buy a newborn insert for britax convertibles for a better fit. We put our seat in the middle of the back seat, so you could just hold DS, sit down, and then buckle him in. No banging the car or the seat trying to get a carseat through all the time.

I got a Maclaren Triumph for our stroller. It's light weight, folds so much smaller than a jogger or travel system, and it's for 3 months and up.

When I was out and about with the baby during those early months, I just wore him in the moby wrap.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Babies R Us lets you test car seats in your car,so if there's one nearby, I'd go see if you can find one that fits. If the stroller doesn't, maybe do like a PP suggested and wear them in a wrap or sling (or you can use the car seat to carry then when they're little) and try to save the long trips where you'd need a stroller for when you can take your H's car. I understand completely, btw, I had to buy a new car because my Nisssan 240sx wouldn't fit any car seat I tried...

BFP #1 12/02/11, M/C 12/08/11
    BFP #2 04/06/12, DD born 12/20/12
    BFP #3 06/09/14, M/C 06/15/14

• My mom has one of those & you're right it's tiny! I would look at your carseat options though, I know my mom used a carseat with my nephew just not sure what brand. I'm 100% sure you can make it work, you'll just have to check out the dimensions of everything you buy.
  • I actually sold my Mini Cooper and bought my Juke this year in prep for kiddos. =)  I haul my cousin's two year old and my Great Dane around in my Juke with out issue.  The only thing that I really have trouble with is the latches for the car seat aren't the best for frequent removal, the front ones are a pretty tight squeeze and take some finagling to remove. 

I also put him on the passenger side so that I have access to him visually and can hand him stuff if he needs. And this way if we need to load in his stroller or big wagon (or my enormous dog) I can put the larger portion of the back seat down and have much more storage room.  

It's all a matter of perspective I suppose, compared to my Mini, the Juke has great backseat room, although not quite as much storage opportunity when all the seats are down (If you can believe it..) 

I'm sure you will be able to make it work! Good luck! 

"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men."~ Willy Wonka image BabyFruit Ticker
  • Thank you everyone!  Great suggestions :)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • imagehappy_un-bride:
    No words of wisdom here... I'm on the other side of thngs, I have an old 2-door Blazer and need to go out and buy a new vehicle now that I'm KU'd.  I love my Blazer and will miss it dearly - are there things I should be looking for in my new car?  (currently considering the Ford Escape, Hyundai Tuscon, Mazda CX-5)

I love the new Ford Escapes.  I have a 2010 CRV and I love it.  I believe the new CRVs even come with vents in the back, which I wanted with this car... oh well... I don't know anything about Hyundai or Mazda, but my family has had a lot of Fords and have always faired well.  :)

• The first thing I'd of done was research small but safe infant car seat, the one you have is large. Getting a carseat/stroller set also probably wasn't a great idea as the stroller is usually not very good and is big and not a good drive/push. 

i recommend a Maxi-cosi infant seat for small car drivers. Safe car seat and smaller as it's from a company that does a lot of work for European cars (smaller than your car, yours is considered large here). I'd also get a good umbrella stroller that folds flat, the ride will be good, you can use it from birth and EVERYONE (I swear that's all my first BMB talk about at the moment) will run out and get one at about a year, they all stop using their big strollers and just use the umbrella. If you want something different later then you can go get something that fits your needs.

Using an umbrella stroller as opposed to a snap n go means that your baby can be in a better position when you're you...flat on the back is best for baby, the car seat position isn't very good for them for a long period.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers PitaPata Dog tickers Screen Shot 2012-11-15 at 8.25.16 AM
  • I have a 2011 Nissan Juke and had been fine using it for almost two years now with my son. You should try the maxi cosi tiny fit convertable car seat it has amazing safety ratings and fits beautifully and personally for me I loved matching the red with my car. Hope you have been doing ok since December.
  • I've got a Nissan Versa, and if you think your Juke is small... ;)

Thankfully the Nissan website actually has a list of carseats that are compatible with each of their models.   They don't list how snug the carseats listed are, but at least you'll know if they're somewhat compatible.  Here's the list for your Juke: https://www.nissanusa.com/content/dam/nissan/pdf/owning/snugkids-english/Nissan_Juke_English.pdf

As one of the PPs have mentioned, some stores let you try strollers in your trunk before you buy.  Thankfully, I was able to do it for my car, otherwise I'd have bought a stroller that was just 1" too big to get in the trunk.

The umbrella stroller as backup sounds like a good option, once the baby's able to support their own head... and that's what we'll be doing for shorter stroller trips.  

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I have no clue how old this post/thread is since there's no indicators? (or I'm totally missing it) but why not try to trade up your leased vehicle. Dealerships make money on the service, not the sales as they'd like you to believe.  And by trading up to a larger vehicle, they might make you do up a new lease which means you'd be a customer for that much more longer = more money for them.  I don't see a reason why they wouldn't work with you.
  • I had a celica with my first child. I got rid of it when she was 2.5 only because she no longer fit comfortably with someone in the front seat. Otherwise I would have kept it! We managed with a small car.

Talk to the dealer you purchased from.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"