February 2012 Moms
Options

Crying when the bottle's finished

My kid cries after the bottle is finished. My fat boy loves his bottle.  Does anyone elses kid do this.  It's been going on for a while, but my Mom thinks he's still hungry.  She likes to over feed him. 

Please tell me this is normal and my child isn't the only one. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Crying when the bottle's finished

• Options
    My LO does this when she's still hungry, so I give her more.  She lets me know when she's full.  Babies don't overeat. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imagepreggyamy:
    My LO does this when she's still hungry, so I give her more.  She lets me know when she's full.  Babies don't overeat. 

Um, yeah, this. Feed the kid. :)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    212 Facebook Admin.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Damm, now I feel guilty. Stupid Pedi made me feel bad for "overfeeding him". Gave me a lecture about obesity in young children. I just fear if I up his intake he'll still cry. Guess I'll only find out until I try.
  • Options
    DS had started doing this and he's also in the 95 so I would always offer him 2 ounces more. But ever since starting solids he's cried less because now he has his formula then the food so he isn't hungry after anymore. I would offer 2 more ounces unless like pp said you're already doing 8 oz bottles than maybe you could try solids!
  • Options
    How much is he drinking per bottle and how many bottles per day?
    BabyFruit Ticker

BFP 3.8.16  EDD 11.20.16

• Options

Is he drinking breast milk or formula? 

Sometimes when primarily nursed babies drink from bottles, they get frustrated because they finish the bottle faster than they are used to, because it would take more time to get the same amount of milk from the breast, and they can hang out on the breast after they're done, which they obviously can't do with a bottle. It's not that they're still hungry, it's just that their sucking (comfort) need isn't being met. If he's easily distracted form being upset, this may be all it is. If he can't be distracted, he may really still be hungry.  

If he's always fed from a bottle, though, this probably doesn't apply.  

I know a lot of people have told me that at this age babies, however they are fed, sometimes want to have larger amounts spaced out more (so 4 8oz bottles instead of 8 4oz bottles, for example). I assume that would be true no matter how they're eating.  

• Options
    Babies can absolutely overeat! Try stopping him in the middle of the bottle and burping or something else to make the feeding last longer. It takes several minutes for the brain to get the "I'm full"signal from the stomach. If he's a fast eater he could be getting full before his brain gets that signal.
  • Options

Babies can definitely overeat.  Babies who are exclusively breastfed can't overeat, but a baby who drinks from a bottle - even BM, though that's less frequent I've heard - can overeat.  How much is your baby eating?  From what I've read it seems like 32-36 ounces is the maximum that doctors like to see 6-7 month old babies taking, so if your LO is less then that then you could offer a little more, but if he's in that ranger or higher I would definitely not.

How many solid meals a day do you do?  If it's less then 3 maybe you could add one in?  If you're at 3, how much is he getting at each meal?  Also, would it help to space out feedings?  I don't know how many bottles he gets in a day but maybe less bottles with more in each bottle would help?

• Options
    I'd too say he's still hungry! If he "does" over eat, it's going to come back up! My pedi has lectured me about Ian being "chunky" too...it goes in one ear and the other at this point. If he's hungry I'm going to feed him. He let's me know when he's done with either his bottle or food. Crying when either the bottle or food are gone is a sign of not being "done".

• Options

Thanks for all your input. 

Ok he's formula fed now.  He doesn't like cry tears or even cry for a few minutes.  It's more like a whiney cry.  Like an "eghhhhhhh eeeeeee egghhhhhh".  And it's been bothering me cause I wonder is he hungry or is he just frustrated that meal time is over.  Plus teething in the mix makes me second guess myself.   

Here is his feeding schedule

6:00 a.m. 6 oz bottle

8:00 2-3 oz of solids & 4 oz bottle 

11 or 12 (depends on where the nap lands) 6 oz bottle and Mum cookie

1:00 2-3 oz of solids & we let him play with a cup of water

3:00 6 oz bottle (this is when the crying kicks in)

5:30 - 6:00 (again depends on the nap) 2-3 oz of solids and

7:00 4 ounce bottle (more crying). 

We give him only 4 ounces with the bfast meal cause he was throwing up.  When we dropped it to 4 the throwing up stopped. 

He also loves to nibble on his bottles nipple and suck on it after it's empty.  When I take it away we get more of a whiney cry, I give him his paci but he wants that damm bottle.  He's on Dr. Brown and my Pedi said letting him suck on an empty bottle won't kill him.  I just worry about him getting painful gas or something. 

• Options
    To me it sounds like he is more fussing because the bottle is being taken away than that he is hungry. I would think you would be getting more of a full On wail of a cry if he was still hungry. I'd probably just let him play with the bottle for a few minutes once he's done. Or maybe Dr. Browns makes a teether or paci with a shape similar to their bottle nipple that he could play with instead.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    My LO started to do this. If he finishes the bottle and I put him on my shoulder he'll usually stop crying. Sometimes he doesn't stop crying and I've found if you give him a pacifier he'll stop.
  • Options
    imagelaura.noel:
    Is he drinking breast milk or formula?nbsp;Sometimes when primarily nursed babies drink from bottles, they get frustrated because they finish the bottle faster than they are used to, because it would take more time to get the same amount of milk from the breast, and they can hang out on the breast after they're done, which they obviously can't do with a bottle. It's not that they're still hungry, it's just that their sucking comfort need isn't being met. If he's easily distracted form being upset, this may be all it is. If he can't be distracted, he may really still be hungry.nbsp;nbsp;If he's always fed from a bottle, though, this probably doesn't apply. nbsp;I know a lot of people have told me that at this age babies, however they are fed, sometimes want to have larger amounts spaced out more so 4 8oz bottles instead of 8 4oz bottles, for example. I assume that would be true no matter how they're eating. nbsp;

This! If you nurse any LO can be reminded of you when they eat and want to eat more to feel like they have you close. With a bottle babies can absolutely overeat and DD with the first sitter we used was evidence if that.

• Options
    imageMar5195:

Thanks for all your input. 

Ok he's formula fed now.  He doesn't like cry tears or even cry for a few minutes.  It's more like a whiney cry.  Like an "eghhhhhhh eeeeeee egghhhhhh".  And it's been bothering me cause I wonder is he hungry or is he just frustrated that meal time is over.  Plus teething in the mix makes me second guess myself.   

Here is his feeding schedule

6:00 a.m. 6 oz bottle

8:00 2-3 oz of solids & 4 oz bottle 

11 or 12 (depends on where the nap lands) 6 oz bottle and Mum cookie

1:00 2-3 oz of solids & we let him play with a cup of water

3:00 6 oz bottle (this is when the crying kicks in)

5:30 - 6:00 (again depends on the nap) 2-3 oz of solids and

7:00 4 ounce bottle (more crying). 

We give him only 4 ounces with the bfast meal cause he was throwing up.  When we dropped it to 4 the throwing up stopped. 

He also loves to nibble on his bottles nipple and suck on it after it's empty.  When I take it away we get more of a whiney cry, I give him his paci but he wants that damm bottle.  He's on Dr. Brown and my Pedi said letting him suck on an empty bottle won't kill him.  I just worry about him getting painful gas or something. 

If I did my math correctly, that is 26 oz. of formula a day?  I think you could easily trying adding an ounce to his last two bottles of the day (and you could go up to 2 more ounces if you needed to).  That would keep him at 28-30 ounces a day, which seems pretty reasonable.  I would try it and see if it stops the fussing/crying for those two bottles.  Just watch his hunger cues.  Does he clearly show you when he is done eating?  

Is he doing fine in his growth?  Any concerns from the pedi? 

FACEBOOK FEB 12 BUMPIES ADMIN - POST & PM ME TO JOIN 

• Options

His growth is always right at 75% percentile in everything.  

Before when he was finished with a bottle he'd pop it out.  And be done with it.  But the teething has made the bottle a little more appetizing and feels good.  I'll try popping in a paci right after the bottle.  Usually I'm trying to burp him so he continues with the whining. 

• Options

I agree with Kristin - 26 ounces is NOT over feeding him! That sounds like a good amount, but if I were you I'd feel comfortable giving another 4 ounces or so throughout the day. And if he's in the 75th percentile then he's a larger baby who likely needs a little more. Mine are usually around the 10th percentile (if we're rounding up, lol) and they eat 22ish ounces a day so it would make sense to me that your larger baby needs more, especially if he's going through a growth spurt or something. 

Did your doctor give you other suggestions (like feeding more solids, giving water, etc) or just tell you that you're over feeding him? Especially if this isn't the first odd thing he's said (IMO saying that 26 ounces is over feeding is nuts) - and especially if he didn't give other suggestions and basically just admonished you - then I might look into a new pediatrician. We're switching at the 9 month appointment because I don't think very highly of their pediatrician and I would like to find someone who I inherently trust if possible. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"