Toddlers: 24 Months+

Need advice on keeping DS in his room at night

We just had our 2nd LO and DS is having a rough time with it.  Unfortunately, the way our house is set up, the boys bedrooms are upstairs and our room is downstairs.  DS2 is sleeping in the bassinet with us for now, and DS1 isn't a fan.

He has figured out how to open his very childproof gate, and when we put an additional lock latch on it, and lifted it about 4 inches, he somehow managed to(and I still don't know how) climbed over it.

He comes down stairs multiple times at night when the baby starts crying and now he's bringing his blanket in the hall upstairs and sleeping at the top of the staircase.  Our biggest fear is that he will fall asleep there and roll down the stairs.  We don't want to put a gate on the staircase in fear that he will climb over that and fall down the stairs.

My question is...what now? lol

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Need advice on keeping DS in his room at night

• My DD is doing this too, ever since she stopped wearing diapers at night. We just keep telling her to go back to sleep and eventually she does. I'm hoping one day she'll just stop doing it.

With you, there's an extra safety concern though. It is possible for your DH to stay upstairs until your DS falls asleep? He could sit in his room or in the hallway, etc. and each time he gets up just keep telling him to go back to sleep. You could also try rewards for not getting up (like he gets something special when he wakes up in the morning).

Sorry, that probably isn't too helpful but it's all I can think of! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm worried about this too with #2 on the way.  LO sleeps in our bed now, but he's a very sound sleeper.  Is it possible for you to let your LO fall asleep in your room and then take him up when he's "out cold"?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • We're in the same boat minus the safety concerns.

We have a 2 and a half week old, and since she came home, Our toddler gets up a trillion times to come in my room.

I literally took her back to her room 20 times the other night. And the same for last night.

Tonight... I gave up. Wrong answer I know.

But now she just came in my room and dumped the dog food all over the floor. SMH. >:l

• Baring locking him in his room.... Does he wear a sleepsack? DS has attempted climbing out of his crib - one leg hiked up. But he can't do it when he's in his sleepsack because he doesn't have the room.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"