Natural Birth

bad tears/episiotomy and after birth pain meds questions

Hey, I've mostly just lurked here, but I've learned a lot from you all and I now have a few questions after giving birth early on Saturday (I'll write my birth story soon!)

I had a hospital birth with no pain meds and the labor was pretty much what I had dreamed (I got to labor as I wished, almost no monitoring or interruptions) -- the only thing I hadn't bargained for was an episiotomy... 

The nurses loaded me down with drugs almost as soon as I was done being stitched up and I wasn't really thinking about whether or not to refuse them and it definitely didn't really occur to me to ask what they were or what side effects they might have. It turned out the dr prescribed Ketoralac (not sure brand names) for pain together with an antacid first to prevent stomach side effects from the drug. I know Dr Google is terrible, but Ketoralac seems to be fairly strong stuff. I was also given laxatives by the nurses. I don't really like taking medication at all and yesterday I was feeling pretty light headed and getting puffy feet and legs (which I never had throughout my pregnancy.) Do you think that's a natural post-partum thing or could it be related to taking the drugs? (The dr said it's natural...)

I feel much better today generally, but I'm a bit scared about pooping... For those of you who had an episiotomy or bad tear, how was it? Did you take pain meds afterwards? Any other tips for getting over the fear of pooping (the laxatives worked like magic yesterday but not sure that's a long-term solution)? 

Re: bad tears/episiotomy and after birth pain meds questions

• Take whatever they give you, in all honesty. I took advil regularly for the first week or two after my vaginal birth.

It's not a big deal if you take laxatives for a week or so. I switched over to fiber supplements to help things along - I took them regularly for the first month or so after both my births, and then spaced it out more. Did anyone suggest sitz baths? They helped a ton, as did using maxi pads with frozen witch hazel.

As for feeling yucky, birth is hard work, it takes some time to recover, and the first few days are the hardest. I was feeling back to normal after about 2-3 weeks. Congrats!!

DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• I had two very bad tears and all I needed for it was high-dose advil (600 or 800 mg).  Maybe you could see how you do on advil before taking stronger stuff?

I'd take the laxatives (and eat fiber and stay hydrated) to avoid constipation.  I had some *ahem* issues after birth due partially to constipation and I wouldn't wish them on anyone.

BFP#2:  EDD 2/11/14, MMC confirmed 7/15/13 (growth stopped at 6 weeks), D&C @ 12 weeks 7/25/13

• Loading the player...
  • I had an episiotomy and was given tylenol 3 after the birth. I felt like I was in a wave pool, so I downgraded to Motrin after that. It definitely helped with the pain without making me feel drugged.

I was never given laxatives, but stool softeners. My 1st pp poo was nbd. I felt great afterwards and didn't feel the need for softeners again. BIG mistake. My 2nd poo was awful. I remember crying and demanding H take me to the hospital bc it felt like I was tearing out my stitches! Dh calmed me down and finally made me get into a hot shower to help me relax and a few mins later I hopped back out to the toilet and everything went fine.  Sorry tmi, but I totally rec taking a stool softener until you're better healed.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

It takes a special amount of bitch to induce menstruation in another person. - LovelyRitaMeterMaid

Rap Roller
  • My biggest advice is don't hold it, take a stool softener and drink plenty of fluids. If you get constipated its going to be a lot worse. Yes the swelling is normal.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Phew, ok, good to know swelling is normal. I will try the advil, at least I know what that is, and I think I will try and get DH to find some stool softeners too... Thanks!
  • I agree with the stool softeners.  I also found putting a small step stool in front of the toilet and propping my feet up (so your bottom is below your knees) helped. I also froze pads with witch hazel and sat on those frequently, they feel wonderful.

Congratulations, and hope you feel better soon :-)

big brother 5/30/10  *  cp 4/27/12  *  little sister 2/25/13

• imageLaurelBee:

I had an episiotomy and was given tylenol 3 after the birth. I felt like I was in a wave pool, so I downgraded to Motrin after that. It definitely helped with the pain without making me feel drugged.

I was never given laxatives, but stool softeners. My 1st pp poo was nbd. I felt great afterwards and didn't feel the need for softeners again. BIG mistake. My 2nd poo was awful. I remember crying and demanding H take me to the hospital bc it felt like I was tearing out my stitches! Dh calmed me down and finally made me get into a hot shower to help me relax and a few mins later I hopped back out to the toilet and everything went fine.  Sorry tmi, but I totally rec taking a stool softener until you're better healed.

Yeah, I meant stool softeners, not laxatives Embarrassed.  Got the two confused.  I seem to remember there being a reason why you want stool softeners rather than laxatives post-partum, but I can't remember why right now.  I used Colace at first then switched to Metamucil.  I actually found the Metamucil worked better (and was more "natural" than Colace).

BFP#2:  EDD 2/11/14, MMC confirmed 7/15/13 (growth stopped at 6 weeks), D&C @ 12 weeks 7/25/13

• I had a  second degree tear downward ( i almost gave myself an episiotomy)! I did not take any medication for the pain, mostly because I was afraid of the drowsy side effects and was terrified I wouldn't wake up to feed or take care of my LO.  I was in pain for @ 2 weeks afterward and pooping was a nightmare.  I took a stool softener daily for 3 weeks and I remember it would take me forever to go because I was so afraid.  I would recommend drinking lots of water and taking a stool softener.  Also dont rush in the bathroom, for me taking my time really helped.
  • I had a bad tear with LOTS of stitches, and was given percocet and motrin. I found the motrin worked the best because the percocet made me dizzy, so I tried not to take it as much. Take the smallest amount you need to be comfortable while healing.

As far as pooping, I didn't take laxatives until maybe 5 days after birth, but I took stool softeners for several days in preparation. I was terrified of pooping, but it wasn't as bad as I thought. Before I had to go I did a warm sitz bath which I think helped too.

imageimage imageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerLilypie Maternity tickers
  • Ooooh, it was stool softeners for me, too! Not laxatives. Colace is the name brand, I think...hth!
    DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• Ketorolac is a non-narcotic pain medication, in the same family as Advil, however, it is only available to be given IV. It is a long acting anti-inflammatory, and works great against the post-partum uterine cramps. I had it after my delivery, and had no ill effects on myself or my daughter.

I didn't tear or have an episiotomy, but I was still super scared to poo! You will survive! Hang in there! 

• Everyone's first pp poop is scary, you are in good company, lol.

promised myself I'd retire when I turned gold, and yet here I am
  • That first pp is completely terrifying!

I think it's the fear that makes it so bad, not the actual deed itself. I was given advil, tylenol and stool softeners in the hospital after a 3rd degree tear and a ton of internal stitches. Once night time came (about 12 hours after birth) and I was in a lot of pain, I was given Oxycontin. While at the time I was just glad for something that kind of took the edge off, I'll never take it again and I think it's ridiculous that a new mother (breastfeeding mom too!) was given something like Oxy.

Recovery was really hard for me, and it has been what led me down the path to natural child birth and a waterbirth for this LO.

My advice is to just don't be scared, which I know is easier said then done. Drink LOTS of water and just relax. You'll feel so much better afterwards and it all gets easier from there on out. And like the above poster said, you're in excellent company! :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"