VBAC
Options

Anyone else's "VBAC friendly doc" pushing them towards repeat C-Section?

Hi Ladies! I am wondering if any of you are being pushed into a repeat c-section by your supposed "VBAC friendly" doctor? They are saying I should opt for a repeat c-section due to how large the baby is measuring. As of yesterday they estimated 7lbs 8oz and I have about 3.5 weeks left.I had my first C-section 4 years ago and it was due to baby being breech. I've told them I want to try for a VBAC but they continue to try and push the c-section.

Any thoughts on how to approach the situation or have any of you been in a similar situation? 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers imageimage

Re: Anyone else's "VBAC friendly doc" pushing them towards repeat C-Section?

• Options

Sorry you're having to deal with this. Do you know anyone who has had a vbac with them?  It sounds like they aren't really supportive but more of a bait and switch kind of provider.

I don't think 7lb 8oz sounds big at all. Of course DD was "around 9lb" at 36 weeks according to the head doctor (well head over the u/s dept) at the biggist maternity hospital in town and he boasted that he was "never wrong". DD was born at 39wk weighing 8lb 1oz. So yeah, the schmuck was off by a couple pounds at least. Their estimates are really only guesstimates and lousy ones at that.

I'd push back. When they try to set up a RCS, say "no thanks". If they try scare tactics ask why they agreed to it in the first place and what has changed. Always ask what's the risk if we wait, what's the risk if we try. There is no harm in asking questions and pushing back.

The former jen5/03.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Options

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't babies gain like half a pound a week at the end? That's only 1.5-2 pounds, so like 9 pounds, which is big, but not insane. And it's an estimate, anyway. Have you been having regular sizing u/s, or was this the first one in awhile?

Your first was breech, so it's not like you tried a vaginal birth with a smaller baby the first time around (And even if that were true, there are a decent amount of women who've VBAC-ed with the same size, or larger babies).

Is there any way you can find someone else, even this late in the game? Is there an active local ICAN group you can reach out to for help?

This is a good link, though it's not specific to VBAC: https://birthsen.tmdhosting930.com/?p=1531

If you can't switch, I would refuse anymore u/s. FWIW, my VBAC baby was 10 lb, 10 oz (no one had any idea he was that big, and he was born at 4.15/42 weeks). Good luck!

DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• Loading the player...
  • Options

That doesn't seem that big and growth estimates at this stage in the game can be way off.  Size of the baby would not be enough for me to plan a repeat section.  I would decline the RCS.  My VBAC baby was two pounds heavier than my C-section baby and a few weeks before the doctor said there would be no way that I would get an OP baby out if it was any bigger than my first since she was OP and got stuck.  I was able to give birth vaginally to an OP baby who was two pounds heavier...so doctors are not always right.

You should be a good candidate too since your primary section was because of a breech baby.   If they want to schedule a section I would opt to wait until at least 41 weeks if not 42.

BFP #1 7/1/2009 ~ EDD 3/9/2010 ~ Ella Adeline (7lbs 4 oz, 19.5 inches) 3/5/2010 csection (39w3d)
    BFP #2 7/13/2011 ~ EDD 3/16/2012 ~Aubree Olivia (9lbs 1oz, 21 inches) 3/15/2012 VBAC (39w6d)
    BFP #3 5/15/2014 ~ EDD 1/16/2015~Addison Isabelle (9lbs, 0oz, 21 inches) 1/25/2015 2VBAC (41w2d)
    BFP #4 7/20/2016 ~ EDD 3/25/2017 ~ Malachi Mathew (10lbs 0oz, 22 inches) 4/4/2017 emergency csection (41w3d)

• Options
    Thanks for the suggestions ladies. This was the Dr I had my daughter with and I actually was seen for the majority of this pregnancy at a different practice but left due to the lack of care I felt like they were giving me. I've scheduled the C-section at what would be 40w 4d, I think I am going to push it back to 41w and print out a birth plan and talk to the Dr about it at my next visit on Tuesday. I didn't have a bad experience with the c-section per say but the recovery was AWFUL as I'm sure some of you know and I'd prefer not to go through it again.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers imageimage
  • Options

I agree with pps that the ultrasounds that late in the pregnancy can be up to 2 lbs off.  So it seems odd that they wouldn't let you try.

I actually interviewed one doctor when I was early in my second pregnancy and he was really nice.  He said all the right things but about 20 minutes into the interview, he leaned in and said, "Listen, I can tell you really want to do this.  Our policy is to say we are VBAC supportive, but I am telling you that one of the doctors will claim your baby is getting big and insist on a RCS. I really think you should go with the other hospital."  I appreciated his honesty.  But there's no way to know if a baby is too big to birth until the time comes.  And often people push those babies out!

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers image image
  • Options
    I fired my dr after 30w for that very reason! Stick to your guns, and best of luck to you. It's horrible to feel so betrayed so late in the game.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"