Natural Birth

Re: (Untitled)

• I would suggest to have an induction for only medical reasons, not for financial reasons.

Being that you are 36 weeks you can try to ripen up for labor. The first thing that comes to mind is sex. Seminal fluid has prostaglandins that can help ripen the cervix.

BabyFetus Ticker

Birth is safe as life gets - Harriette Hartigan

• I agree with PP, induction is only appropriate for medical reasons. Be strong. I hope baby comes this month for you.
  • Loading the player...
  • You might also want to check with your insurance about pregnancy coverage I remember reading in my plan a couple of years ago that they would continue to cover a pregnancy throughout, if it started while on their plan. Might not be the case with all insurance, but something to check on.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Is your DH getting insurance through the new employer immediately without a break in coverage?  Pregnancy can't be considered a pre-existing condition, provided coverage will be continuous.

And unless you were in your first trimester at the time of your switch, even if your care provider isn't covered with the new insurer, they are compelled to cover your care provider for the duration of your pregnancy/birth.  This is a part of federal HIPAA laws.  Obamacare regulations might have even expanded these out as well.

Verify with your insurer or office manager (or whoever handles the down and dirty of insurance claims) where you receive care. 

• Do some research bc I remember reading a while back that your former employer has to cover you for an additional 6months before you start COBRA... its been a a few years but if you google it should come up.

As for inducing I would not do it unless medically necessary. In my opinion Picotin and those other induction drugs are the devil and I would not want them in my system unless it was absolutely necessary. If you have netflix I would recommend watching The Business of Being Born - it is very informative and they have a segment dedicated to inducing labor. You can also look online about the pro/cons of induction but I would not let money be a deciding factor. If anything see if you can work out a payment plan w the hospital/doctor. They cant turn you away if you are in medical need and will bill you anyway so see if you can get ahead of that and work out somehing with them

Good Luck

• I think you need to figure out which is more important to you: avoiding induction or avoiding the $850 charge.
  • I assume that you were planning to pay for postpartum and newborn care out of pocket?  Mightn't you need to pay for October regardless, or risk being uninsured if you were to have a serious post-partum complication?  Not that this is required, but something to consider.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Insurance companies cannot discriminate against you because you are pregnant. As long as you haven't had a lapse in coverage of more than 69 days (i.e. COBRA), then all preexisting conditions will be covered.  You need to talk to a broker than knows their stuff.  

But as far as an induction goes, don't do it unless medically necessary is my opinion.  I was induced for preeclampsia only 1 week before my "due date" and my son looked and acted very much like a preemie.  He was tiny, didn't feed well, had terrible reflux, his skin was even baggy! :(  I am convinced I was not near as far along as they thought I was.  In the long run he is fine, but if I had induced for convenience or money, or any other reason other than medical necessity, I would feel so terrible.   

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Does your husband's new company have a waiting period for insurance (I know a lot of companies make you wait 3 months before being eligible for insurance).  If that's the case, I think you're going to need insurance for October anyway - for baby's care and doctor's visits, any post-delivery care you may need, etc.  I personally do not like going without health care coverage at all, and would be particularly nervous with children.

• imageMangomamaFL:

I would suggest to have an induction for only medical reasons, not for financial reasons.

Being that you are 36 weeks you can try to ripen up for labor. The first thing that comes to mind is sex. Seminal fluid has prostaglandins that can help ripen the cervix.

imageJcrab:
    I agree with PP, induction is only appropriate for medical reasons. Be strong. I hope baby comes this month for you.

You're both right.  As much as I don't want to pay the extra $, I'd rather not be induced.  I really hope he comes this month too!

BabyFetus Ticker
  • imageTheQuietGrrrl:

Is your DH getting insurance through the new employer immediately without a break in coverage?  Pregnancy can't be considered a pre-existing condition, provided coverage will be continuous.

And unless you were in your first trimester at the time of your switch, even if your care provider isn't covered with the new insurer, they are compelled to cover your care provider for the duration of your pregnancy/birth.  This is a part of federal HIPAA laws.  Obamacare regulations might have even expanded these out as well.

Verify with your insurer or office manager (or whoever handles the down and dirty of insurance claims) where you receive care.  

He will get insurance through his new employer, however that doesn't kick in for 90 days.  We will be able to get private insurance, but only once the baby is born.  I've checked with multiple people/sources on that.  COBRA is our best option, and it's a crappy option, but there's not much we can do. 

I am just praying he shows up this month.  :) 

BabyFetus Ticker
  • imagej.d.gal:

i am sorry that there may be a financial element to your delivery, but i would find a way to cover the insurance to avoid an induction.  i have had two labors - one induced at 41w3d because i was overdue and "favorable" and one not induced at 41w1d - and i would never induce again unless absolutely medically necessary. 

Thank you.  I'm sorry too.  I think you're right, in that avoiding the induction is the best route to go.  I've got my fx that he comes this month. 

BabyFetus Ticker
  • imagemaiatene:

Do some research bc I remember reading a while back that your former employer has to cover you for an additional 6months before you start COBRA... its been a a few years but if you google it should come up.

As for inducing I would not do it unless medically necessary. In my opinion Picotin and those other induction drugs are the devil and I would not want them in my system unless it was absolutely necessary. If you have netflix I would recommend watching The Business of Being Born - it is very informative and they have a segment dedicated to inducing labor. You can also look online about the pro/cons of induction but I would not let money be a deciding factor. If anything see if you can work out a payment plan w the hospital/doctor. They cant turn you away if you are in medical need and will bill you anyway so see if you can get ahead of that and work out somehing with them

Good Luck

Employers are required to keep you on insurance for 6 months, but that's through COBRA.  Once you don't work for them anymore, they don't pay your medical premium anymore.  

I have seen TBOBB (twice), which is one of the things that got me in the Natural Birth  frame of mind in the first place.  I just hate that I have to consider the financial aspect now, but hopefully the baby comes in September, and this will be a non-issue. 

BabyFetus Ticker
  • imageHyaline:
    I assume that you were planning to pay for postpartum and newborn care out of pocket?  Mightn't you need to pay for October regardless, or risk being uninsured if you were to have a serious post-partum complication?  Not that this is required, but something to consider.

No, we won't be paying out of pocket.  As soon as he's born, we can get private insurance until DHs new employer's insurance kicks in (in December).  Private insurance will still cost us $300 or $400 a month, but that's much better than the $850+ we'll have to pay with COBRA.

Regardless, after posting this I feel like the induction is definitely not the way to go, and if he comes in October then I'd rather fork out the extra money somehow than get induced. 

BabyFetus Ticker
  • imageTreschic81:

Insurance companies cannot discriminate against you because you are pregnant. As long as you haven't had a lapse in coverage of more than 69 days (i.e. COBRA), then all preexisting conditions will be covered.  You need to talk to a broker than knows their stuff.  

But as far as an induction goes, don't do it unless medically necessary is my opinion.  I was induced for preeclampsia only 1 week before my "due date" and my son looked and acted very much like a preemie.  He was tiny, didn't feed well, had terrible reflux, his skin was even baggy! :(  I am convinced I was not near as far along as they thought I was.  In the long run he is fine, but if I had induced for convenience or money, or any other reason other than medical necessity, I would feel so terrible.   

Unfortunately with private insurance they can refuse to cover certain things (pregnancy), regardless of the fact that there hasn't been a lapse in coverage.  That's what I thought too, but I've checked with multiple sources on that and they've all told me the same thing.  It's ridiculous.  

Wow, what an experience with your son.  I really don't want something like that to happen, and while I'm still very concerned with the money aspect, I feel like he needs to come when he's ready, and that's more important.  Thanks. 

BabyFetus Ticker
  • imageCotton:
    I think you need to figure out which is more important to you: avoiding induction or avoiding the $850 charge.

Agreed.  I think avoiding induction is more important.  If I get to the point where it's medically necessary, then that's a different story. 

BabyFetus Ticker
  • I agree with others, avoiding an unnecessary induction seems more important than the financials when you consider the risks of induction, but it's your body, your baby, and your money so I think this is definitely something you need to weigh for yourself.

Also, I'm really sorry you're dealing with this.  I think it's abhorrent that medical insurance creates situations like this where you even have to ask these questions.  I hope the baby ends up coming in September for you so it's not an issue.  GL!

imagephoto 64bf363d-3af0-4dcc-b880-c06326daa418_zps78d8d389.jpg
    *My Blog*

photo 0cc607b9-4233-4842-8175-d093f8f92ca8_zps7cc00875.jpg
    10/50 Read

my read shelf:
    Stephanie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Have you looked into getting on state insurance? I would recommend talking directly to a social worker about your situation as sometimes what you make doesn't tell the whole story.
  • Did some research. It is a sad but true fact that right now, the private insurance does not have to take on a woman who is pregnant.

That particular benefit of the Affordable Care Act (aka Obamacare) does not go into effect until 2014. If it were 2014, they would have to cover you. 

(https://www.healthcare.gov/news/factsheets/2011/08/pregnant-women.html)

Good luck!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"