High-Risk Pregnancy

Re: (Untitled)

• Options
    It's what's called a "soft" marker for Down Syndrome. By itself, the risk is very low. LOwer with a normal quad screen. If there are 3 or more soft markers, the risk is pretty high for T21.

In honesty, your LO will probably be fine. They'll do some additional testing after birth and an ultrasound of the kidneys. Since you didn't get the quad screen, your only way of knowing for sure is an amnio. The risk of pregnancy loss or complications from that are 1 in 250. Less than 1 percent. Similar odds to a genetically normal baby based on your soft marker. So if not knowing is killing you, get the amnio. If the risk is too high for you and you feel content with postpartum testing, wait it out.
    Photobucket Lilypie Premature Baby tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Thank you for your reply and encouragement
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    This was found with DS at his anatomy scan.  I don't know the actual measurements.  They called it "mild to moderate" enlargement.  My son had another ultrasound at birth with a VCUG (where they make sure there is no reflux of urine back into the kidneys).  They started him on antibiotics until I could see the urologist in a week, then the urologist stopped the antibiotics.  We've continued ultrasounds every 6 months and the last one finally showed improvement.  DS is 21 months.  We have one more ultrasound scheduled, but hopefully it will be the last.  It definitely is getting more difficult to keep him still during the ultrasounds.  The urologist told me this is very common in boys and only very rarely requires surgery.  Just my experience,  I hope this helps.
    Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"