April 2012 Moms

Waiting to start solids?

LO had his 4mo appt today

Our pedi said that he advises to wait until 6mo or until baby is able to sit up in a highchair on his own. He claims that usually the reason for starting earlier is because mom's just get excited to try something new...lol, and that they don't need anything else until around 6mo. Who's waiting (or waited) until 5/6months?

TTC#2: 8/17/14 // BFP: 9/5/14

TTC#1: 7/30/11 // BFP: 8/22/11
DS: Carson Robert 4/29/12

Re: Waiting to start solids?

• I'm waiting. The pedi said today that she isn't ready but I already knew that. She doesn't seem ready to me so I wasn't going to start solids yet even if the pedi told me I could. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I'm waiting too, our dr. Recommended we wait until six months, plus I'm not in a huge rush to start solids.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • We're waiting.  I don't think she is ready.  She still has a bit of a tongue reflex.  We'll probably wait until 6 months.  I just don't see the rush.

And this is totally an UO:  I don't think "she acts like she wants our food" should be counted as a sign of readiness.  There are a lot of things that my toddler wants/is interested in, but that doesn't mean I give them to him.  He is super interested in my coffee, but I'm not pouring Starbucks into his sippy cup.  DD definitely looks interested in our food but that doesn't mean I think she's ready to eat it. 

• I'm waiting. her pedi didn't even mention solids, and sent us home with a standard "wait til 6 months" sheet. I'm kind of wanting to let her taste stuff, but with her GI issues she had, I don't mind waiting at all. she is really interested in my coffee as well. plain mug, so nothing exciting to look at, she just likes watching me drink.
  • I will wait until he shows all the signs of being ready. If that is after 6 months then so be it
    i wish i could be joking but my dad is the music teacher at a church so he owuld be mad. we had sex, all the time how bad i know but we dont want to wait and he said GREAT OH KAY! and I was really feeling the wets? down there- too embarsed to say- but he acted like man.
  • Ds tries to grab my food, but he always trys to grab anything else within arm's reach and put it in his mouth. I'm fine with waiting but Dh really wants to start feeding him. The pedi suggested to start with oatmeal, so we will start with that just a little in a few weeks and then I won't add anything else till after 6 months.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • We are planning to wait. To me, it's just one more thing to worry about, and it's messy. Plus exclusive breastfeeding is recommended until 6 months, so it doesn't seem like there is a NEED to start sooner. Not that I'm breastfeeding, but it does make me feel better about waiting. If she starts pounding a shitton of formula before then, I'll reconsider, but she's only at 25 oz/day right now.
  • imagePatella1129:

We're waiting.  I don't think she is ready.  She still has a bit of a tongue reflex.  We'll probably wait until 6 months.  I just don't see the rush.

And this is totally an UO:  I don't think "she acts like she wants our food" should be counted as a sign of readiness.  There are a lot of things that my toddler wants/is interested in, but that doesn't mean I give them to him.  He is super interested in my coffee, but I'm not pouring Starbucks into his sippy cup.  DD definitely looks interested in our food but that doesn't mean I think she's ready to eat it. 

This reminds me of a show I've been watching. It's called The Week the Women Went (on Lifetime) and there is a little 4 year old girl who will tell her parents "I want coffee!!" and they give it to her! The dad said "Maybe we should switch her to decaf..." ::smh::

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We are waiting until 6 months. He isn't ready yet.
    imageimageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We aren't even talking to the pedi about it until his 6 month appointment. We are waiting for various reasons including, but not limited to:

- no need. He takes about 30-32 oz of formula a day and is fine
    - The novelty (a big reason I think most people start early) is over. We have been there/done that. I now know that starting solids leads to:
    - A PITA in terms of scheduling, cooking/prepping, watching for allergies, watching for choking, insane clean up, way more baths, carrying food with you, etc. (yeah, yeah, yeah, you can do baby led weaning, but that only eliminates a few of those PITA things)
    - the poop is SO MUCH WORSE. Dear god, the poop.

I admit to also giggling at those who say "baby is so ready! S/he STARES at us eating and tries to grab the spoon!". Uh, yeah. S/he is a BABY. They stare at and want to eat everything. DS2 REALLY wants to eat my nose. And today he crawled to the wall and tried to eat the baseboard. He grabs my spoon constantly. This does mean he is ready for solids.
  • We're waiting til after her 6 month well visit if not later. Solids wasn't discussed at her 4 month and she's just now getting interested in food. I'd rather exclusively nurse her until at least 6 months. 
    -------------------------------------
  • imageMonkeybabe:
    We're waiting til after her 6 month well visit if not later. Solids wasn't discussed at her 4 month and she's just now getting interested in food. I'd rather exclusively nurse her until at least 6 months. 

Same here pretty much. 

• imageDevonPow:
    We aren't even talking to the pedi about it until his 6 month appointment. We are waiting for various reasons including, but not limited to:

- The novelty (a big reason I think most people start early) is over. We have been there/done that. I now know that starting solids leads to:
    - A PITA in terms of scheduling, cooking/prepping, watching for allergies, watching for choking, insane clean up, way more baths, carrying food with you, etc. (yeah, yeah, yeah, you can do baby led weaning, but that only eliminates a few of those PITA things)

I admit to also giggling at those who say "baby is so ready! S/he STARES at us eating and tries to grab the spoon!". Uh, yeah. S/he is a BABY. They stare at and want to eat everything. DS2 REALLY wants to eat my nose. And today he crawled to the wall and tried to eat the baseboard. He grabs my spoon constantly. This does mean he is ready for solids.

LOL. My husband's cousin and her partner have a LO who is almost 7 months, they have been feeding him food since he was just over 3 months becuase he was watching them eat and grabbing their food, therefore soooo ready. I just laughed because Daniel will eat anything, the stuff I find him licking each day is just hilarious, his newest facination is with pillows, damn those things are tasty :p. We are in no rush over here!

• I'm waiting. I always heard you shouldn't start until your LO can sit unassisted for a few minutes at a time, and mine can only sit unassisted for a few seconds at a time.
  • We will wait to really start till he is ready. Per pedi's suggestion, once he could sit very well assisted we offered cereal. He didn't get it. We tried again tonight one week later and he gets it a lot more. We will now offer oatmeal after dinner feeding some nights but I'm not going to stress over it. We won't move on to anything else until he has cereal down pat. He is 4.5 months now. I don't forsee starting anything else for a month.
  • I'm waiting until he is ready. He shows no interest in food and can not sit up in his chair. I waited until John was 5.5 months.
  • I am waiting, so far. I bought the oatmeal so we are ready to feed it to her whenever. Sometimes it makes me think she would get a fuller tummy with the oatmeal but she still seems so tiny and not ready to me.

Pedi gave the go ahead but I would probably wait until 6 months however I'm feeling some pressure from parents and ILs. Stupid peer pressure. I almost want to say just screw them.
  • imageDevonPow:
    We aren't even talking to the pedi about it until his 6 month appointment. We are waiting for various reasons including, but not limited to:

Yep, Yep and YEEEEEEEEEEEPPPPPPPPPPPPP

• We started DD a little reluctantly, but we do oatmeal daily. My main reason is because daycare has been (IMO) overfeeding DD with BM while she's there. (4 bottles in 5 hours is too much)  It's mostly that they don't make her take her time with bottles, so she doesn't realize she's done, or she still wants to suck.

So now, after her lunch bottle, if she wants more she gets oatmeal. She's a huge fan and does great with it. We also do oatmeal at night before bed. I don't plan on starting veggies until 6 months, though I may make some purees while things are still in season.

So far, the oatmeal has helped and her meals are more properly spaced out. Also, I promise I'm not trying to deny the baby food at daycare. If she need an extra bottle while there, I would certainly let her have it. But, I know that when my mom or MIL has watched her for the same amount of time she usually only eat 12oz...sometimes 16. So I know she doesn't NEED 20+ in that time.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"