April 2012 Moms

Bedsharing conundrum

No, not the typical one. We are sleeping well. At about 3mos I started putting D to bed in her PNP so that DH and I could have adult time. We would go to bed when she woke up for her 10:30/11pmish feed and then all go to bed in bed. So then she started skipping that feed but I would transfer her into bed. It started getting really hot so I began letting her sleep solo until her MOTN feed. She started waking up later and later and now she sleeps the whole damn night by herself most nights. Older DD nursed at 4:30am and then slept with us for ages and there was little miss almost 5mos snoozing away in her PNP at 7am today.

I'm torn on this. I believe in all of the child led philosophies and am happy my baby is sleeping well but I also believe in the benefits of bedsharing. I don't feel more rested, FWIW. I don't have any extra wonderful energy. I'm considering bringing her into bed when we go to sleep but that seems a little silly and I would not appreciate someone moving me in my sleep. Maybe we will sidecar the crib. She likes sleeping with me but doesn't wake up and have the opportunity. Here I am ready and able to roll with the sleep punches and she's like "Yo mom, I got this".

Image and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Re: Bedsharing conundrum

• Nothing constructive to add other than I'm jealous of your kid's sleep. With or without me, my kid sucks at the sleep thing. This is a good "problem" to have!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagefunkymonkeyohyeahhh:
    Nothing constructive to add other than I'm jealous of your kid's sleep. With or without me, my kid sucks at the sleep thing. This is a good "problem" to have!

I know and I don't want to come across as smug. I miss my baby though and it seems like a waste of my well polished Wait It Out skills. Maybe she knows I need to save every last drop of patience I have for her sister.

I hope sleep gets better for you. But truly the only times I have felt really well rested since #1 arrived was when I was sleeping alone across the globe. I sleep but my brain doesn't shut down if I'm near my kids.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Honestly I would keep her in the pnp. As you know, I'm sure, some babies sleep great by themselves. Ari actually HATES sleeping next to me. I would love to cuddle and nap with him but its always a major fail. 

• I can understand why this is hard for you, since it's not the vision you had. But if it's what is working best for her, then, that's what it is. And if she is sleeping until 7 am, it sounds like it is working best!

Room sharing still keeps her close.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • imageimimahoney:

Honestly I would keep her in the pnp. As you know, I'm sure, some babies sleep great by themselves. Ari actually HATES sleeping next to me. I would love to cuddle and nap with him but its always a major fail. 

Same here too. I enjoyed bedsharing, plus the benefits of synchronized breathing, etc. Once DS hit 2 months, he wouldn't anymore. He transitioned himself to the crib. Every once and a while I still try to bring him back to bed after a MOTN feeding, but he will start yelling if I don't transfer him.

• imageRuby412:
    I can understand why this is hard for you, since it's not the vision you had. But if it's what is working best for her, then, that's what it is. And if she is sleeping until 7 am, it sounds like it is working best!

Room sharing still keeps her close.

Yeah I was just happy it went so well from the start. After my c-section w/ #1 I could not bedshare because I would wake up screaming and kicking thinking she was trapped in the bed and that was not safe and would hurt my incision. The road to STTN was much longer than I anticipated and I was obsessed with sleep until I finally just let go. I think she would have benefited from bedsharing and night nursing.

STTN at this age just seems so early to me even though it is probably average and/or expected. We survived the 4 month wakeful so I assume we will survive the 5month non-wakeful. I'm still debating when to move from PNP to her crib and if I will bring her crib in our room which is tricky due to space constraints.

I'm hoping these more reasonable wake up times continue. Getting up for the day at 5am is much harder for me than a MOTN wake up. 

• I move her into the bed with me every night because I'm not ready for her be away from me. I would be so upset if she slept through the night without me. Well, upset may be a bit dramatic, but she's my last baby and I'm soaking it up! I don't think I would be well rested, either. I would wake up too many times checking on her, lol.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm dealing with pretty much the same thing... I'm side caring the crib when we get back from vacation!

imageimage

• I tried bedsharing with my son until he was 5 months old, and he did much much much better by himself, and still does to this day. DD is much more of a snuggler though, and I am enjoying my cuddle time with her.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I know it's sad because it's not what you planned, but she might be better off in her own bed. I try so hard to get V to bedshare with me and she just won't sleep in my bed. I guess every baby is different. Enjoy her being a good sleeper! 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I have a feeling when DD wants to sleep by herself I'll be sad too and miss the closeness. I haven't been sleeping all that well with her in the bed lately though. I just can't get comfortable.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"