November 2012 Moms

NEED ADVICE (waiting to buy a pump?)

Okay so my plan from prior to even getting pregnant was to not buy any nursing supplies. I plan to try to BF however I am fully aware of all the challenges that may arise and not allow me to pump. So the plan was to rent a pump from the hospital and use samples of pads etc. Once I learned that I was going to BF and pump I would go buy everything I needed.

Well with this massive sale on the Medela Pump I don?t know what to do. I feel I can not pass up $225, free shipping plus a $25 gift card. The return policy is 90 days. Which is roughly 2 weeks after my due date. Not enough time for me to know in time to return if BF does not work. $300 for a normal price is a lot to spend, however $225 is a lot to waste.

Thoughts? Is everyone else buying a pump and just hoping for the best or waiting?

FTR My insurance does not cover anything :(

Re: NEED ADVICE (waiting to buy a pump?)

• I felt the same way you do....until I saw this sale.  I went ahead and bought it.  I won't open the box and just cross my fingers Target would take it back if I decide to return it.  If not, Craigslist it is!
  • imageSprite2012:
    I felt the same way you do....until I saw this sale.  I went ahead and bought it.  I won't open the box and just cross my fingers Target would take it back if I decide to return it.  If not, Craigslist it is!

Ditto all of this :)

Me: 32 DH: 32
    Married: 05/31/2008
    DS: 11/06/2012 at 38w 1d
    M/C: 06/11/2015
    DD: 06/14/2016 at 37w 3d
  • Loading the player...
  • I was thinking the same thing. I bit the bullet and bought it. I can't pass up a good deal haha. If things don't go according to plan, I figure I'll take a shot at returning it or I have two sisters whom I can pass it along to down the road.
  • I bought it too. In my opinion if you wait around forever you might pass up an opportunity. I am not willing to buy off craigslist or a website that I don't trust, even if it is cheaper, so I figure it being target I could feel good about the purchase.
    party-fails-crunk-critters-catnips-a-hell-of-a-drug Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker (formerly TTGP poster abfromva)
  • Ugh Well it looks like a lot of stores have it for about $250 so I?m really only saving $25, $50 if you count the GF. My Hospitals LC says to not even try pumping for a few weeks and they do not recommend buying one until you know you will be a regular pumper. So UGH I don?t know.
  • Hold off. If you really need it, you can get it then. Sure it might cost a bit more, but years down the road it won't make an iota of difference. Resist the lure of sales, you often end up buying what you don't really need! 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageJessii266:
    Ugh Well it looks like a lot of stores have it for about $250 so I?m really only saving $25, $50 if you count the GF. My Hospitals LC says to not even try pumping for a few weeks and they do not recommend buying one until you know you will be a regular pumper. So UGH I don?t know.

It looks like new, unopened ones are going on Amazon for $240...  So as long as you don't open it, if BF doesn't work out, you could still actually profit off of it if you get out of the return period.  You can pass it off to Amazon for fulfillment, too.  

It made me nervous to pull the trigger, too.  It's my biggest personal purchase so far for LO...  I've had money in savings for it, but I've been chicken about buying it for the same reasons.  I was thinking of renting one first, but heck, renting one from LO's pediatrician for 1 month is $75.  

Me: 32 DH: 32
    Married: 05/31/2008
    DS: 11/06/2012 at 38w 1d
    M/C: 06/11/2015
    DD: 06/14/2016 at 37w 3d
  • imageJessii266:
    Ugh Well it looks like a lot of stores have it for about $250 so I?m really only saving $25, $50 if you count the GF. My Hospitals LC says to not even try pumping for a few weeks and they do not recommend buying one until you know you will be a regular pumper. So UGH I don?t know.

I would wait. Personally I researched both the Mredela and the Ameda pumps, and found them to be similarly rated, with a couple advantages to the Ameda. On Amazon you can get the Ameda pump for $127, or the full set with accessories for $190. No need to spend $300. 

BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • I originally thought I would wait with my DD, but decided to go ahead and purchase in advance about a month before birth, with the ability to return.  Thankfully, nursing worked out very well for us and I was happy to keep my pump.  I do, however, have a few friends who it didn't work out for and they had bit the bullet on the pumps.

Recently, I loaned out my pump to a friend for her to use at first.  Once she knew BFing was going to work, she bought her own.  BTW, when it comes to borrowing, I was originally freaked out and refused to do that myself.  However, after using a pump for so long, you realize that only a few components actually touch the milk and it's easy to wash/sanitize those, so I was ok with lending a friend mine.  Maybe that's an option too?

I realize this isn't helping much since I'm giving a few views.  :)  Good luck.

IMG_0933 Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"