January 2013 Moms

So tempted...

So our A/S was originally scheduled for 9/4 but at my last appointment I got a different OB who made me push it back to 9/10 so that I'd be over 20 weeks... I was really crushed.

This afternoon DH & I were trying to decide what we want to do with our holiday weekend. Just now out of curiosity I was looking at sites of elective 3D u/s places in our area and noticed several have openings for tomorrow. I am so tempted, even though I'm sure that $$ would be better spend (or saved) elsewhere. LOL

Am I totally crazy for wanting to do this, even though my actual a/s is 10 days away? Embarrassed 

imageimageimage
26 years old, married since June 2009, DS born 1/19/13
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Dear Baby Pacheco...

Re: So tempted...

• Personally I would wait because those 10 days will be over before you know it.  Then you could do a 3D later on at around 30 weeks and see the baby a lot better and not have to pay twice. 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • I'm waiting till the 12th, and it's an awful wait lol.  But I wouldn't spend the money on a 3D... that's just me though, and I'm poor lol.  There are still quite a few of us on here I think waiting until the week of the 10th and even later!  Let us all grit our teeth and make it through the final week and a bit together!! :D

• Loading the player...
  • I hit up google this morning for 3D u/s in the area. They cost about $150 around here and I just don't know if I can justify the expense. We had an A/S a week or so ago and everything looked good but they couldn't get all the measurements we needed so we actually get another scan mid-Sept. With this second scan, I don't know that I can spend the money since paying for a 3D scan doesn't mean it will be a good scan. Baby can be unwilling to show off and then you just end up paying for nothing.
  • You are no crazier than all the other women who have made that particular want so popular that 3D u/s places are everywhere. If you have the money, and you are that excited, go for it!  Sure, that money would be better spent on a college fund, or food but life is pretty boring when you are always being level headed and parental. Getting the u/s won't harm anyone, won't break your bank, and could be a lot of fun.  Will you honestly take the cost of the u/s and put it in your 401K if you don't go?
    Lost but never forgotten <3 : </br> 1st BFP 2/8/06 m/c @ 12 weeks; 2nd BFP 2/9/07 w/ Clomid; DD (Monica Caroline) born 11/16/07; 3rd BFP 3/25/11 w/ injections m/c @ 5 weeks; 4th BFP 8/3/11 w/ injections diagnosed blighted ovum; 5th BFP 1/20/12 m/c @ 9 weeks; 6th BFP 4/27/12 Praying for our rainbow Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I suck at money management...well no I don't. I save and pay my bills, but I love to spend money lol.

I would wait. I've heard mixed reviews about how people feel when they see their babies with 3D Ultrasounds. If you have them too early, there are apparently studies where the mom to be has nightmares and stuff that her baby will look like an ape or an alien. If you have them later on they are a good reflection of what the baby will look like and it gives you a chance to see LO again if you aren't having alot of U/S.

On that note...i would take that $150 and put it towards a super nice diaper bag LOL. Use the holiday weekend to go outlet shopping :).

And for fun, you and DH could go through all the OWT and see how your results come out. Drano...Baking Soda...Ring on a String...just kill sometime. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • As hard as it is to wait.  (trust me...I know...DH really wants to stay team green this time) I would use that $$ elsewhere.  Try to distract yourself for the next 10 days and hopefully it will go by fast.
  • imagelaurapacheco:

So our A/S was originally scheduled for 9/4 but at my last appointment I got a different OB who made me push it back to 9/10 so that I'd be over 20 weeks... I was really crushed.

This afternoon DH & I were trying to decide what we want to do with our holiday weekend. Just now out of curiosity I was looking at sites of elective 3D u/s places in our area and noticed several have openings for tomorrow. I am so tempted, even though I'm sure that $$ would be better spend (or saved) elsewhere. LOL

Am I totally crazy for wanting to do this, even though my actual a/s is 10 days away? Embarrassed 

You are definitely not crazy for wanting to do it! I would say to stick it out the 10 days, but that is also easy for me tosay b/c I had mine already. The waiting is tough. Also i think it's weird they pushed you back. Lots of people have their A/S at 18 or 19 weeks, it seems. Good luck!
  • imagechefsteph:

I suck at money management...well no I don't. I save and pay my bills, but I love to spend money lol.

I would wait. I've heard mixed reviews about how people feel when they see their babies with 3D Ultrasounds. If you have them too early, there are apparently studies where the mom to be has nightmares and stuff that her baby will look like an ape or an alien. If you have them later on they are a good reflection of what the baby will look like and it gives you a chance to see LO again if you aren't having alot of U/S.

On that note...i would take that $150 and put it towards a super nice diaper bag LOL. Use the holiday weekend to go outlet shopping :).

And for fun, you and DH could go through all the OWT and see how your results come out. Drano...Baking Soda...Ring on a String...just kill sometime. 

Gosh I love the way you think! 

• Most places around here charge far less (around $50) to find out the sex as opposed to a full blown 3D/4D scan. They also give you a discount toward future visits. To me, it was worth it. The atmosphere is very different than at my OB's office, very laid back and fun as they aren't looking for anything other than the baby's sex.
  • I know exactly how tempting the elective ultrasounds are ... because I had one done last weekend! I was so impatient with DS but made myself wait until the A/S and was planning on doing the same with this LO. My mom ended up surprising me and telling me she really wanted to have it done and she would pay for it (it's around $100 here and I knew I could find better ways to spend it). Looks like my mom was more impatient than I was!

I made my appointment for 17 weeks but ended up having to go twice because LO wouldn't cooperate so I found out at 18 weeks. While I'm happy we know I think I would have made myself wait had my mom not offered.

I say wait the 10 days and like PP said buy yourself a great diaper bag!!

• Thanks all for the honest advice! It sounds like I am most definitely crazy. Haha

After giving it a lot of thought & talking about it some more with my DH, we decided that we'd do it, but since this is something I really want to do for fun and is not really a necessary expense I'm going to pay for it out of my "fun fund" -- DH and I each have a separate account that we put in $25/week for us to spend on fun/frivolous things like girls' night out, if DH wants a videogame, etc. So I will have to give up pedicures & stuff like that for a couple weeks, but overall I think that is a good compromise that is totally worth it to me and won't break the bank.

Also the place we're going to will let you come back as much as is needed if they aren't able to confirm the gender or get enough good pics/video, so that is not as much of a worry for me. Our appointment is for tomorrow at 11:45am... I'm so. freaking. excited!

imageimageimage

Dear Baby Pacheco...
  • imageSmiley-1980:

Personally I would wait because those 10 days will be over before you know it.  Then you could do a 3D later on at around 30 weeks and see the baby a lot better and not have to pay twice. 

This would be me. I'd wait until your appt just to be sure and it's paid for by insurance. If you really want to do a 3D, do it later. They're rather pointless until later on, the early ones look really creepy to me. It just doesn't look right earlier than 32 weeks. 

• imagezonagirlie:
    imageSmiley-1980:

Personally I would wait because those 10 days will be over before you know it.  Then you could do a 3D later on at around 30 weeks and see the baby a lot better and not have to pay twice. 

This would be me. I'd wait until your appt just to be sure and it's paid for by insurance. If you really want to do a 3D, do it later. They're rather pointless until later on, the early ones look really creepy to me. It just doesn't look right earlier than 32 weeks. 

Yeah I'm really just going for the gender confirmation, with the understanding that LO won't really look "baby-like" at this point. I'm just really dying to know if LO is a boy or a girl, especially after being mentally prepared to find out in a couple days & then getting shot down/forced to postpone by the new OB I went to on Monday. If I didn't have the money in my "fun fund" I would probably just wait, but since I would normally spend that $$ on frivolous things anyway in the end I decided "why not," KWIM?

Edit: Forgot to say-- All that being said, I really do appreciate the warnings about it looking creepy this early on! I can definitely see how someone who's not expecting that could get freaked out. 

imageimageimage

Dear Baby Pacheco...
  • I had the 4D/3D done at 15 weeks! I loved it! Yes it was pricey but I got a dvd of the whole thing, color photos, blk/wht photos, as well as a disk with about 50 pics on it. Also next time I go its $50 off. Also your usually able to bring friends & family, where I went you could have 10 people & they could watch live on the internet. If you have the money I say go for it! Its way better than your normal 2D even with a new machine.
  • Also my baby was being very uncooperative with her legs crossed but we did not leave there until she finally uncrossed her legs after some poking & prodding. It took probably 30 mins! lol Since thats what I was basically paying for they didnt let me down.
  • We went for the elective, and our A/S isn't until mid-September. I don't think you're crazy at all! The place by me charged $50.

FYI to the people who mentioned the 3D/4D u/s: getting the elective u/s to determine sex does not necessarily mean it is going to be 3D. DH was scared about that. I had to reassure him that it was just to check the sex. We weren't even in there for 2 minutes.

ETA: to add some stuff

Lilypie - (eo79)
     Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imagelaurapacheco:
    imagezonagirlie:
    imageSmiley-1980:

Yeah I'm really just going for the gender confirmation, with the understanding that LO won't really look "baby-like" at this point. I'm just really dying to know if LO is a boy or a girl, especially after being mentally prepared to find out in a couple days & then getting shot down/forced to postpone by the new OB I went to on Monday. If I didn't have the money in my "fun fund" I would probably just wait, but since I would normally spend that $$ on frivolous things anyway in the end I decided "why not," KWIM?

Edit: Forgot to say-- All that being said, I really do appreciate the warnings about it looking creepy this early on! I can definitely see how someone who's not expecting that could get freaked out. 

Good for you! I think its a great idea, since you already have reserve cash for fun stuff. This is far better than a few pedicures Big Smile  Can't wait to hear tomorrow!!

For what its worth, this is something I would have totally considered if I wouldn't have to drive 200+ miles to get to the nearest elective u/s place...

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I would wait the 10 days because you're so close! GL
  • We almost decided to do this but then we couldn't get an appt. at te elective place before our a/s. We are shooting a gender reveal video so I wanted it done by the day of our a/s so we could post right after. We just wouldn't have told anyone about the elective one. We decided to just shoot both outcomes and hope baby shows the goods on the 10th! We are SO anxious! It's so hard to wait, I could never be team green!
  • My doc is making me wait till September 20th :(.  I just want to know already, but I guess the waitvwill be worth it.
  • While it's SO tough to wait, I would have probably waited the 10 more days. That being said, it looks like you've made up your mind so I'm exited to hear the results! :) Have you had any intuition either way?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

BFP #1 5/12/12; EDD 1/20/13; Eliana Grace born 1/25/13

BFP #2 12/11/13; EDD 8/23/14; M/C 6 weeks

BFP #3 4/3/14; EDD 12/13/14

Pregnancy Ticker

• If you can afford it, go for it!  Life is short :)
    4.23.12 - BFP! EDD 1.3.12

imageimage

• Not sure if you knew this--wanted to let you know just in case! Legit places will require a doctor's note stating that you are currently getting pre-natal care and that your OB gives you permission to get a scan from their particular place. My husband and thought about doing this but I realized I wouldn't see my OB before my a/s anyway so we decided to wait. 

Anyway, just wanted to give you a heads up so you wouldn't get disappointed if you showed up and they wouldn't honor your appointment. They don't always tell you that you need this note when you make an appointment over the phone.

:-) 

• imagebrittandjp:
    While it's SO tough to wait, I would have probably waited the 10 more days. That being said, it looks like you've made up your mind so I'm exited to hear the results! :) Have you had any intuition either way?

Yeah I think if I didn't have the fun fund money I would've waited... definitely not a prudent choice to make otherwise. I haven't really had much intuition either way, and have had dreams of both sexes. My DH is hoping for a boy (well really he just feels some anxiety over his ability to raise a daughter) & I will be happy either way, but all sets of grandparents are hoping for a girl (my parents especially since it would be their first granddaughter). Our appointment is at 11:45 EST, so excited! I'll let you guys know how it goes.

imageimageimage

Dear Baby Pacheco...
  • imagebeanon:

Not sure if you knew this--wanted to let you know just in case! Legit places will require a doctor's note stating that you are currently getting pre-natal care and that your OB gives you permission to get a scan from their particular place. My husband and thought about doing this but I realized I wouldn't see my OB before my a/s anyway so we decided to wait. 

Anyway, just wanted to give you a heads up so you wouldn't get disappointed if you showed up and they wouldn't honor your appointment. They don't always tell you that you need this note when you make an appointment over the phone.

:-) 

Thanks for the heads-up! I actually looked into that & the place I'm going to requires you to sign a confirmation that you're receiving prenatal care along with providing your OB's name and contact info. So I'm all set. I guess every place is a little different in how they "cover their bases" in that regard.

imageimageimage

Dear Baby Pacheco...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"