Breastfeeding

How does food affect breastmilk?

DS had his 2 month check up last Monday and the doctor said he wants to see him gain faster before his 4 month check up. When he was born he was only 6 lbs, and at his check up he was 8 lbs 6.5 oz which I thought was a good weight gain. But he is only in the first percentile for weight. I am EBF and feed him on demand so I know he is eating when hungry, and I don't stop until he lets me know he's done. I don't know what I'm supposed to do to help him gain more! So my question is this- does what I eat affect the fat content of my breastmilk? I mean, if I start eating fattier foods, is it going to make him gain faster? I am eating very low fat foods because I want to get this baby weight off. But I am getting the recommended calories also, just in a healthy way. I don't want to eat fatty foods because I feel like what I eat right now, so is he, and I want him to be healthy!
imagePhotobucket width="180px"> Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: How does food affect breastmilk?

• I don't think eating fattier foods will do anything to help him gain.  Are you eating from all the food groups?  Healthy fats like nuts and things? 

My firstborn fed on demand but I had to supplement because he wasn't gaining enough.  What did the doctor suggest to help weight gain?

Just to add some perspective on the weight gain or lack of, and please know I had a lot of difficulties with ebfing my first two, it's just easier for me/my body the third time around:  BabyE was 7lbs12oz at birth, went down to 7lbs1oz leaving the hospital and today at 3wks3days we weighed him and he is 10lbs3oz with a onesie and diaper on. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• imageAmyG*:

your body will put the proper amount of fat in baby's breastmilk regardless of what you eat.  sure if you are starving and don't have any fat on your bones and you don't eat high fat foods, then that could be a problem, but we are talking those starving women in africa type no fat on bones, not normal weight mom.

you are fine.  I would say your baby is just perfect.  I'd plot his weight on a breastfed baby chart and see how he's doing.  I'd take into account if you and dh are small or large people (so genetics) and see what he's averaging for weight gain (4-7 oz a week).

Really the advice for weight gain goes something like this: offer a bit more often, use breast compressions and massage so he stays at one breast longer, primarily feed on one side to get more hindmilk, and offer side #2 as dessert.  and then relax.  baby will gain at baby's potential and that potential may not meet up with doctor's suggested weight gain.  look at the baby not the scale, meeting expectations for rolling over and sitting up and smiling and being happy and all that should weigh heavily into whether there is a problem or a perceived problem.  You can meet with an LC to rule out any supply or latch issues but that is doubtful or you'd be complaining about low diaper count or sore nips, etc.

He only eats off one side and I pump the other side. He also won't latch without a nipple shield so I know it isn't latch issues. Both DH and I are smaller and I was only a 5 lb baby when born, so I guess I wasn't too worried about it! He's meeting his milestones and is happy and content.

• Loading the player...
  • imageKLilley:

I don't think eating fattier foods will do anything to help him gain.  Are you eating from all the food groups?  Healthy fats like nuts and things? 

My firstborn fed on demand but I had to supplement because he wasn't gaining enough.  What did the doctor suggest to help weight gain?

Just to add some perspective on the weight gain or lack of, and please know I had a lot of difficulties with ebfing my first two, it's just easier for me/my body the third time around:  BabyE was 7lbs12oz at birth, went down to 7lbs1oz leaving the hospital and today at 3wks3days we weighed him and he is 10lbs3oz with a onesie and diaper on. 

Yes I am eating from all of the food groups. I eat almonds quite often, chicken, lean beef, tuna, peanut butter.... Our pedi is very pro EBF and didn't even suggest supplementing with formula. He said to try feeding DS more often, but if I try to feed him when he isn't hungry, it just makes him mad.

•  I'm great fed baby should gain 1-2lbs per month. It looks like you just made it. I can understand your doc wanted him to gain a little more than the bare minimum. 

Is he waking up at night to eat? If so, how often? 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagemwitter80:

I'm great fed baby should gain 1-2lbs per month. It looks like you just made it. I can understand your doc wanted him to gain a little more than the bare minimum. 

Is he waking up at night to eat? If so, how often? 

He was waking up once, sometimes twice a night. This week though he has started sleeping through the night (which for us is 4:30-5AM)

• My baby is the exact same as yours: 6lbs at birth, 8lbs 5Oz at 2 mos.. You know what my pedi said? That she is gaining beautifully. Now we are at 13 Weeks, she's around 9lbs. If she's not hungry and the diapers are still going, don't worry. Both our babes are on track to double their birth weight at around 4 most. My lo is low in weight percentile, but high in length. It's not the percentile that matters, it's consistency in the percentile. They were in the lower percentile at birth and will continue to be there. Hugs to banana babies!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageAmyG*:
    sometimes with a nipple shield baby doesn't fully empty the breast and your supply may go down, and baby may not get quite enough to eat.  if you are pumping I assume you are freezing this milk? is this to go back to work?  the pumping is probably helping to ensure your supply doesn't drop, but a quick check with an LC for a pre and post nursing session weigh in on an accurate scale can help reassure you that baby is still getting enough to eat with the shielf. are you pumping the same amount about as you did a month ago?  sometimes as you get to the 3 month point, your supply will drop to be exactly what baby needs and pumping may get a bit harder at that point.

I've been back to work for 3 weeks now so I pump while I am at work, and also while I am home so that I can stockpile in the freezer in case my supply does drop. I want to give him breastmilk for as long as I can. I've met with an LC already and he is eating what he needs to eat. When he drops off he does it on his own and is happy and content, which I would assume means he's full. I'm actually pumping more now than when I first started back to work.

• imagetheresat858:

I'm not going to answer your first question since it has been addressed, I think, but...

and this is just my 2 cents...

I actually lose weight faster if I eat a higher fat and higher protein diet.  50% calories from carbs, 20% from protein, and 30% from fat is my daily goal. When I eat more carbs and less fat, I have a harder time losing weight.  I'd try focusing on getting plenty of healthy fats (almonds, olive oil, etc) in and limiting 'empty' calories rather than a low fat diet.

I guess I should have clarified. I am getting healthy fats. I eat almonds, tuna, lean beef, etc. I have cut out the unhealthy fats as much as possible. I see a personal trainer once a week and keep a food diary so I know I am eating right. I lost 20 lbs a year ago for my wedding and am just doing what I did back then.
  • imagetelyn:
    My baby is the exact same as yours: 6lbs at birth, 8lbs 5Oz at 2 mos.. You know what my pedi said? That she is gaining beautifully. Now we are at 13 Weeks, she's around 9lbs. If she's not hungry and the diapers are still going, don't worry. Both our babes are on track to double their birth weight at around 4 most. My lo is low in weight percentile, but high in length. It's not the percentile that matters, it's consistency in the percentile. They were in the lower percentile at birth and will continue to be there. Hugs to banana babies!
    Thank you!!! It's nice to find somebody in a similar situation. I also thought he was gaining like he should so I was pretty shocked and kind of upset to find out that my pedi didn't think so
  • If your pedi sees a lot of formula babies, he may just not be accustomed to the growth patterns of a totally normal breastfed baby.
  • You can supplement with BM... we did that for the first week. We used a syringe a thin tube.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"