Breastfeeding
Options

Question about leaving baby (do I pump??)

DS is 17 days old.  I have pumped 3 times after his first morning feeding, so I have about 4 oz of pumped milk.  I stopped pumping because I read from so many people on here that pumping too early can cause an oversupply.  I have not introduced the bottle to him yet, but the LC said I can go ahead and introduce the bottle and give one every few days at first.  DH and I have been invited to dinner tonight.  If my parents come to watch DS and DD, how do I do this? I could probably nurse DS right before we leave, but he will need to eat while we are gone.  I could have my mom give him a bottle (it would be his first), but wouldn't I need to pump while I'm gone? I know you are supposed to pump when LO gets a bottle, right?  I could pump in the car on the way home from the restaurant if needed. Would pumping to replace a feeding this early affect my supply?  I'm new to this and not sure about a lot of things.
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Question about leaving baby (do I pump??)

• Options

I would nurse right before leaving.

Then if you're gone more than 2-3 hours, pump while away. Leave a bottle available for LO.

If you're home within 2-3 hours and LO hasn't taken the bottle, just nurse again (this was what usually happened for me). If LO has taken the bottle and isn't hungry, pump.

Milk is fine for ~8 hours at room temp, so don't worry about chilling it if you do pump while out (either in the car or restaurant).

• Options
    If you don't pump you will probably be uncomfortable. Plus a pump will help with your supply. I pumped in the car the first time we had a date night and it worked well.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imagetokenhoser:

Then if you're gone more than 2-3 hours, pump while away. Leave a bottle available for LO.

If you're home within 2-3 hours and LO hasn't taken the bottle, just nurse again (this was what usually happened for me). If LO has taken the bottle and isn't hungry, pump.

Milk is fine for ~8 hours at room temp, so don't worry about chilling it if you do pump while out (either in the car or restaurant).

Can I freeze the milk once I get home?

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imagedmathis10:
    imagetokenhoser:

Can I freeze the milk once I get home?

Yes.  I think I read on kellymom that you shouldn't put warm milk directly in the freezer anyway - it should cool down in the fridge first and then transfer to freezer.  Thats how I always do it.

I think you could nurse before you leave then make sure you have your pump with you just in case.  If you get uncomfortable or it starts going on 2+ hours, you will probably want to pump, especially if LO is still eating every 1-2 hrs.  If it were me, I would make sure dinner was someplace close to my house, just because LO might not take the bottle.  E took his first bottle just fine from H, but he struggled when MIL and our nanny first tried to feed him.

laying down the law on Oahu's North Shore

Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"