November 2012 Moms

I feel like an idiot with how confused I am about baby clothes.

Okay let me preface this with the fact that I am not a complete moron. However when I am embarking on something new, I get overwhelmed with wanting things perfect that I loose all common sense.

With that said I think I am getting the idea of what gets hung up vs in drawers. But I am still confused by gowns. Are they worn only at night, or all day? And really those first few weeks there really isn?t going to be night time outfit vs during the day correct? Lastly, do they where these sleep sacks every night?

Also, when you have a nice outfit that has a matching bib, hat, socks or mittens, do you keep all pieces together?

Re: I feel like an idiot with how confused I am about baby clothes.

• There is no right or wrong answer to your question.  It's totally your preference.  However, here's what we did.  DD wore t-shirts until her umbilical cord fell off.  Hers took a little longer than most, about 2 1/2 weeks; most only take 10 days or so.  After that she wore the gowns when we were home or at my moms.  If we were expecting visitors or going out, I'd dress her in something cute.  Other than that, your days and nights will be a blur and therefore you won't differentiate the outfits.

ETA:  About all the matching stuff.  I kept things together for the sole purpose of having all the pieces when I go to sell them later.  I also used the cuter outfts that had all the matching stuff as "going out" outfits.

• I totally understand :)  It will all work out!

With DS (born Thanksgiving 2008), while at home during those first couple of weeks I put him in a onesie, layette gown, and socks for day/night. If there was a day where we weren't doing anything, I didn't necessarily change him into anything else until nighttime (a new gown/onesie/socks).

At first, we swaddled so he did not use a sleep sack. After a few weeks we would put the sleep sack over his pajamas.

I remember that I was barely functioning those first few weeks (had an emergency c/s) and it was enough trying to balance recovery, nursing, and sleeping.  I used to say that if you could survive the first 6 wks of having a newborn, you can survive anything - it was an adjustment.  Do whatever feels comfortable for you.

BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers BFP: 12/3/07, M/C @ 7w 3d ~ 12/24/07 image
  • Loading the player...
  • I was concerned DD would be cold in those sacks - and socks kept coming right off her feet! - so I bought zip up one piece outfits. We swaddled at night, but the zips were easy enough to do in the dark on little sleep, so that's an option to keep in mind, too.

Personally - on the organization question, I put all the hats together, all the mittens, socks, etc in drawer organizers I found at IKEA. I didn't try to keep an entire outfit together. Because like someone else said those first 6 weeks are HARD. But so very very worth it. :)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I hardly hung anything up! We used clothes so quickly it was like what is the point??

Now her clothes are hanging, tank tops, sleeves, long sleeves, rompers, dresses. 

Pants and shorts and pjs are folded.

I SAH, so somedays there is no day and night outfit! LOL

i used the gowns, they made diaper changes easy, but it's really a personal choice if you end up liking them or not.  

My LO never liked the sleep sack, she actually screamed and kicked trying to get out, we just swaddled her.

Those fancy matching bibs are crap FYI.

We never used bibs, I just stripped her to a diaper to eat.

I think you'll find what works best for you after baby is here, don't stress over it yet! 

oa1
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

? Voted Cool Cat ~ 2012 Sweetpea Mom Awards ?

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • imageJessii266:
    But I am still confused by gowns. Are they worn only at night, or all day? And really those first few weeks there really isn?t going to be night time outfit vs during the day correct? Like others have said, in the beginning, there's really no difference between night and day outfits. FWIW, I never liked the gowns.

Lastly, do they where these sleep sacks every night? A sleep sack is basically a wearable blanket so if you're not swaddling, it's a great way to keep baby warm while sleeping.

Also, when you have a nice outfit that has a matching bib, hat, socks or mittens, do you keep all pieces together? I'm not one to make sure every little piece matches, especially the monkey-type outfits with a monkey hat and monkey bib, but I didn't think it was hard to remember what outfits had multiple pieces if I did want to match something low key.

You'll get the hang of it, don't worry! 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers
    DD born 5/15/11
    DS born 11/12/12
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"