February 2013 Moms

I should not watch the news. (Warning: Death relating to infant)

https://www.onlinesentinel.com/10-year-old-girl-charged-with-manslaughter-of-3-month-old-Clinton-baby.html

After working daycare for so many years (currently a one-family nanny), I've seen amazing providers and a few really bad apples. I know there are other board users that have experience with loss in a daycare situation, so I posted the warning.

My mom watches the news every morning, and we had breakfast together this morning, and now I can't get it out of my head.  Years ago I dealt with documenting and reporting a physically neglectful and verbally abusive co-worker. The child she targeted was 10 months old and unable to tell anyone or fend for himself, and until he started exhibiting strange behaviors, no one at the center really noticed anything going on. Something happening in daycare scares the ever loving crap out of me.

When we move, I'm seriously considering just going back to nursing and working nights so we can avoid putting LO in daycare. I feel like I'm crazy, but I'm seriously having palpitations and anxiety over this case int he news this morning. 

There aren't enough details released saying what happened, but reading the article it seems like it's easy enough to connect the dots...and it's scary.

Pregnancy Ticker image

Re: I should not watch the news. (Warning: Death relating to infant)

• Why was she left with a 10 year old overnight? 10 is too young to be left responsible for an infant for several hours at a time. Maybe I didn't understand the article but I am more pissed off about the fact that she was left with another CHILD than the fact that about what the child did to the baby. 

Edit: I re-read the article and according to the baby's mother she didn't know she was going to be left alone with a ten year old. I still think the adult that was supposed to be in charge of the baby is more at fault than the ten year old. 

IVF #1 BFN... IVF #2 BFP! TWINS!
    Twins born too early at 23 weeks due to incompetent cervix
    FET #1, IUI #1, 2, 3, 4 - all BFN
    IVF #3 BFP!!! IT'S A BOY! Born July 16th, 2011
    FET #2 BFP! Due February 15, 2013
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• With daycare...just check everything. I used a home daycare and loved it. The provider was very open with providing all of her certifications, recommendations, etc...We also had a friend who used the same provider and was very happy. It is really about doing your homework on the person watching your child. I completely trusted our DCP (the only reason we stopped going there is because my mom retired and is watching our DD now).

imageimageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • imageByeByeBooze:
    imageSPerry0376:

Why was she left with a 10 year old overnight? 10 is too young to be left responsible for an infant for several hours at a time. Maybe I didn't understand the article but I am more pissed off about the fact that she was left with another CHILD than the fact that about what the child did to the baby. 

Edit: I re-read the article and according to the baby's mother she didn't know she was going to be left alone with a ten year old. I still think the adult that was supposed to be in charge of the baby is more at fault than the ten year old. 

The baby wasn't left with a 10 year old. She was left with the 10 year old's mother. 

To OP - that's really sad, but I'm not sure it has anything to do with putting your kid in daycare. 

I realize that, but then the mother of the 10 year old should be held responsible for something. 10 is not old enough to cope with a screaming baby all night long.  

IVF #1 BFN... IVF #2 BFP! TWINS!
    Twins born too early at 23 weeks due to incompetent cervix
    FET #1, IUI #1, 2, 3, 4 - all BFN
    IVF #3 BFP!!! IT'S A BOY! Born July 16th, 2011
    FET #2 BFP! Due February 15, 2013
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• It's more the experience I've had with people I worked with in daycare I know it isn't something across the board, and I know there are amazingly awesome caretakers out there (I'd like to say I am one, my nanny family has always thought so). It just scares me to leave a child that can't tell anyone what's going on with someone when I think on negatives too much. Just an early morning freak out.
    Pregnancy Ticker image
  • I did not even read your post after the warning. I just wanted to share that I have stopped reading and watching the news altogether. I cannot take reading about things that happen to innocent babies and children anymore. I know it happens, but for my unborn baby's sake, I have made the decision to be uninformed about everything to keep my spirits up.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"