Working Moms
Options

Ringworm & daycare

I need some advice. Monday I pick up DD from dc and notice a spot on her arm. I asked the afternoon teachers and they knew nothing about it. Asked her morning teacher at drop off the next am and she claimed DD came to school like that and it looked like a bug bite. I didn't agree but it didn't seem to be bothering DD so I let it go. 

Fast forward to yesterday. DH picks up DD from dc and a different teacher tells him that it looks like ringworm and another kid in her class also has it. The director looks at it and she agrees it looks like ringworm.

My question is this: would you be bothered by being brushed off at the beginning of the week? TIA  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Ringworm & daycare

• Options
    No.  I don't expect my daycare to diagnose my kid.  They saw the mark, they took a guess on what it was.  You didn't know it was ringworm either and it sounds like another kid had it, the parent got it diagnosed so then the teacher knew that a mark that looked like that was ringworm and your daughter's mark looked the same.  Deductive reasoning.
    Formerly known as elmoali :)

• Options

imageelmoali:
    No.  I don't expect my daycare to diagnose my kid.  They saw the mark, they took a guess on what it was. 

Ditto.  They are DC workers not doc or nurses.  They/she told you what she thought and she was wrong.  Oh well, that isn't her fault.  It is not her/their job to tell a ringworm from a bug bite.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

No, I wouldn't be bothered.  You said it wasn't bothering DD and ringworm can look like a whole bunch of other things.  You didn't take her to the pedi, so why would you expect your child care providers to be more concerned or knowledgeable about it than you are?

Ringworm is really not a big deal.

TTC since 11/05...ectopic pg 4/08...early m/c 6/09...BFP 10/5/09!
    Nora B...June 15, 2010...8lbs, 8oz...Med-free birth!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

TTC #2 since 7/11...cycle #3 of Clomid + IUI = BFP
    Malcolm...September 21, 2012...8lbs, 6oz...Another med-free birth!

• Options
    Thanks for the responses. I try not to be too uptight but sometimes my "momma bear" instinct kicks in when it is not warranted. 
  • Options
    imagesuperned:

No, I wouldn't be bothered.  You said it wasn't bothering DD and ringworm can look like a whole bunch of other things.  You didn't take her to the pedi, so why would you expect your child care providers to be more concerned or knowledgeable about it than you are?

Ditto this! It would just bother me that ringworm is gross Ick!

• Options
    imagewychets:
    imagesuperned:

Ditto this! It would just bother me that ringworm is gross Ick!

Not really, it is really easy to clear up. It's a fungal infection. I used to get it all the time when I played field hockey.

• Options

No, they aren't doctors.  I would probably assume it was just a bug bite too.  Just put some lotrimin on it and it will go away soon.  It is really contagious though, so I would be bothered if they didn't insist the other child (and now your child) have their spot covered with a bandage during the day.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    No, because daycare teachers aren't certified to diagnose kids.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Premature Baby tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"