August 2012 Moms

Bfing help.

We have been bfing and it has been going great. Of course, we got home yesterday and latching has become difficult he will latch on for a couple seconds and suck and then pull right off. I try to be more aggressive and guide him there but he just starts screaming.

Also, when he does feed he feeds for 2030 minutes! But he hasn't had any pee diapers in the last 24 hours but has had 5 bowel movements. Am I doing something wrong?

Re: Bfing help.

• I can't tell how old he is because your ticker still says you're pregnant :P But, my hospital paperwork says by day 3, he should be having 6-8 wet diapers a day. I would call his pediatrician.

This happened to us and it ended up being that I wasn't letting him sit on the boob for long enough, wasn't switching sides, and that he just wasn't getting enough, in general. It led us to exclusively pumping. I wouldn't give him a bottle, because that caused nipple confusion for DS and now he won't nurse without a shield. I've seen a lot of ladies use the tubing method, so if you have to, I'd use that. 

Definitely call the pediatrician though.

A12 Sig Challenge - Favorite Fall Show!
    SCANDAL!

• when he's nursing do you hear him take a break every 3-6 sucks and swallow?  if no, he might not actually be getting substance.

also, when he does suck, is he sucking fully, like with his whole mouth or are they almost like little butterfly kisses....rapid, soft, shallow sucks?  if it's the latter, my lact consult. he's not actually gaining any nutrition from them, it's more comfort sucking, then for the purpose of eating.

we had that problem and so our lact consultant helped us work on bottle drills that would make her a better latcher.  basically, give the bottle to her while she is in a seated position on our lap, hold the bottle horizontal and not tipped up (so she has to work for milk), make sure her lips are on the wide part of the bottle (looking like the wide latch he would need on your breast) and to pull the bottle out if she started to fall asleep.  we did this for a day and we suddenly had a champion latcher.

hope this helps.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Has your milk come in? I know we had weight issues with LO until my milk came in. Then it became easier because she got more so she was more relaxed and stayed on longer to eat. Stick with it!
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • First off, this is all new to me too. I have the latching problem when I'm too engorged my breasts will feel like rocks. I found pumping some helped, and she'll latch on with zero problems. Also if I wait too long to feed shell have trouble staying latched too for some reason...I think she gets frustrated its not coming out faster. I have to really watch the clock and her cues...never waiting until she cries, oh boy can that mess things up lol.. During the day she goes about every two hours...from the start of the previous session to the start time of the current. At night she goes about every 3 hours.

I would maybe put a call into your pedi if there are no wet diapers, but keep in mind it can be easy to miss them in the beginning. I love the lines on the Pampers.

Take care!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"