February 2012 Moms

Mommas who are signing...

How is it going? What signs are you using and how is LO doing with them?

I consistently use the signs for milk, water a diaper. She definitely recognizes these as I consistently see a change in her mood when I sign milk and water. I am not as good about using food or dog. I never remember to sign mama, more or all done. She hasn't tried to sign any back yet but I didn't expect her to for another month or so - at the earliest. I do love doing it though. Even if other people look at me like I am nuts.
Soon to be Big Sister Eowyn - DOB February 2012
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
 BabyFruit Ticker

My family is a Foreign Service family. Families like mine are posted in every corner of the globe. We live our lives away from family, friends and the conviences and comforts of home. We often live and work in dangerous places among those that misunderstand our intentions and purposes. Sometimes members of our ranks sacrifice our lives to further diplomacy.  Please remember that we serve too. And I'm always open to questions.

Re: Mommas who are signing...

• Right now I'm signing for "food" "all done" and "sleep" and that's it. I figured I'll add some more when she gets it a little better. She doesn't show any indication of recognizing the signs and definitely isn't signing back, but I'm having fun! And it will be so rewarding when she learns how to do it herself. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker someecards.com - Your personal anecdotal evidence is so much more relevant than this legitimate scientific study.
  • imageHattieLove:
    Right now I'm signing for "food" "all done" and "sleep" and that's it. I figured I'll add some more when she gets it a little better. She doesn't show any indication of recognizing the signs and definitely isn't signing back, but I'm having fun! And it will be so rewarding when she learns how to do it herself. 
    My voracious nurser took about three days to react to milk. Try that one. You might see a reaction quickly. It is kind of magical when you realize that get you.
     BabyFruit Ticker

My family is a Foreign Service family. Families like mine are posted in every corner of the globe. We live our lives away from family, friends and the conviences and comforts of home. We often live and work in dangerous places among those that misunderstand our intentions and purposes. Sometimes members of our ranks sacrifice our lives to further diplomacy.  Please remember that we serve too. And I'm always open to questions.

• Loading the player...
  • I think it is fun!  He is starting to recognize or react to "milk" and he thinks "all done" is funny.  I have been doing the signs for milk, eat, more, and all done pretty consistently.  I try and remember to do mommy and daddy, but I forget all the time!  DH is totally doubting it will work.  I say it is worth a shot to see if he will learn the signs, plus it can supposedly enhance their language skills.  Plus, it is kinda cool knowing a tiny bit of sign language.

Once I feel like i am remembering these signs, I want to try and add more, but I'm learning, too, so we'll see how much I can retain to be able to teach him.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

FACEBOOK FEB 12 BUMPIES ADMIN - POST & PM ME TO JOIN 

• Yeah, I should definitely try that one. She gets all excited when she hears the clip of my nursing bra :-) It makes me laugh every time. 

Should I use milk to just refer to breastfeeding, or to refer to pumped milk in a bottle too?  

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker someecards.com - Your personal anecdotal evidence is so much more relevant than this legitimate scientific study.
  • imageHattieLove:

Yeah, I should definitely try that one. She gets all excited when she hears the clip of my nursing bra :-) It makes me laugh every time. 

Should I use milk to just refer to breastfeeding, or to refer to pumped milk in a bottle too?  

I think it is personal preference. Maybe start with whichever one is her favorite.

BabyFruit Ticker

• imagekristin172429:

I think it is fun!  He is starting to recognize or react to "milk" and he thinks "all done" is funny.  I have been doing the signs for milk, eat, more, and all done pretty consistently.  I try and remember to do mommy and daddy, but I forget all the time!  DH is totally doubting it will work.  I say it is worth a shot to see if he will learn the signs, plus it can supposedly enhance their language skills.  Plus, it is kinda cool knowing a tiny bit of sign language.

Once I feel like i am remembering these signs, I want to try and add more, but I'm learning, too, so we'll see how much I can retain to be able to teach him.

DH was a totally skeptic too. Until he saw her go from very pissed to smiling when I made the milk sign. Right around the third time he relented and decided that maybe there was something to it.

BabyFruit Ticker

• So far ds has learned to use milk, more, food, Mom, and dad. We are adding in for diaper change and sleep and once he gets those we will add another two at a time. It's been going pretty good so far!!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Lucia doesn't sign them herself, but I consistently sign more, drink, mom, dad, all done, eat, book, dog, cat, sleepy, help and thank you.  I sign other words but I'm not as good at being consistent with them.  I enjoy doing it.  I've done it with several other children that I've nannied for, and it's fun to see them use the signs.  Even now that she speaks (constantly), the 2 year old I currently care for signs all of these, and she loves signing with the babies (Lucia and her little sister)!
    BabyFruit Ticker

BFP 3.8.16  EDD 11.20.16

• Wow, how do you know all of these signs? We haven't done any signing, but maybe I should start!

BabyFruit Ticker
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • We just do mommy, daddy, milk, eat, and more.  I'll admit that I'm not very consistent.  I need to pick up the pace!  I don't know "all done," but that would be useful.  Off to look it up!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I want to so badly to make signing part of our day but I always forget! I do consistently sign "more" and "finished" when she's eating solids, so I guess it's a start. I also know milk, please, thank you, and bath. I need to remember to do them!!
    11 months old! #andintoeverything
  • We do milk, eat and more consistently. He definitely understands them because he'll get really excited when we sign them. We also do please, thank you, sleep, all done and dog but not on a consistent basis. Hopefully we'll get a little more consistent with those as well.
  • We are doing milk, drink, more, eat, all done and sleep. We keep forgetting mommy and daddy too but I think  he has enough to learn for now. Once he starts picking things up, we will add more. Our DC is cool though because they practice with him too (so they say). We told my MIL that the sign for Grandmother is an L(using thumb and index finger) over her forhead.... Yep.. for LOSER!!  So now she walks around the house with the symbol on her forehead...  HAHAHA!!!
  • imagenaturegal79:
    We told my MIL that the sign for Grandmother is an L(using thumb and index finger) over her forhead.... Yep.. for LOSER!!  So now she walks around the house with the symbol on her forehead...  HAHAHA!!!

I burst out laughing with this one ... that is way too funny!!   BAHAHAHAHA!

I've been using the signs for "more", "finished" and "milk".  I know I need to be more consistent though.  Once we have those down pat, I'd like to add "mom", "dad" and "sleep" to the mix. 

Feb'12 March Siggy Challenge - Lucky Charm
    BFP #3 - 05.20.11, EDD - 01.31.12, Logan is here! 02.05.12
    BFP #2 - 03.16.11, M/C 03.24.11
    BFP #1 - 10.17.10, Blighted Ovum dx, M/C 01.09.11
  • I started "milk" and "eat" about 2 weeks ago.  He thinks "eat" is funny and laughs every time.  He definitely responds to me saying "milk" and "eat" now.  I will probably start using just the "signs" soon to see what he does.  I figured we would start small, with the important things, lol, and go from there.

• imagenaturegal79:
    We are doing milk, drink, more, eat, all done and sleep. We keep forgetting mommy and daddy too but I think  he has enough to learn for now. Once he starts picking things up, we will add more. Our DC is cool though because they practice with him too (so they say). We told my MIL that the sign for Grandmother is an L(using thumb and index finger) over her forhead.... Yep.. for LOSER!!  So now she walks around the house with the symbol on her forehead...  HAHAHA!!!

OMG this is hilarious!! so RUDE!!! so evil!  >=}

I have been doing milk, more and mommy consistently.  She gets excited when she sees me do milk, doesn't really react to the others.  I've tried to do change but I keep forgetting to do it.  Daddy rarely signs daddy so I think that is a lost cause.  Now that I am giving solids maybe I will start doing eat.   

She's not signing back yet, but I'm not expecting her to for at least another month 

• I sign hungry, all done, more, mama, daddy, and toilet. I am pretty bad about doing most of them consistently but I do sign all done after most meals. My LO loves that sign because it means it's snuggle or playtime next haha
  • imagekristin172429:
    I think it is fun! nbsp;He is starting to recognize or react to "milk" and he thinks "all done" is funny. nbsp;I have been doing the signs for milk, eat, more, and all done pretty consistently. nbsp;I try and remember to do mommy and daddy, but I forget all the time! nbsp;DH is totally doubting it will work. nbsp;I say it is worth a shot to see if he will learn the signs, plus it can supposedly enhance their language skills. nbsp;Plus, it is kinda cool knowing a tiny bit of sign language.Once I feel like i am remembering these signs, I want to try and add more, but I'm learning, too, so we'll see how much I can retain to be able to teach him.

DD laughs every time I sign "all done" as well! Cracks me up.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"