Baby Showers

Re: (Untitled)

• OP, I would do a brunch thing instead like a pp mentioned.

Also, if I understood your original post correctly, it sounds like your invitation that you were going to send out didn't really mention bringing diapers and bibs as actual gifts, but that was just a part of the poem....Is that right?

Also, would talking with your friend about what your sister said be odd? Like to find out if your sister never really thought of that before she agreed to the sprinkle, but to hear that her sister thinks that way might change her mind? 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagemhickey426:

You can do something with just friends as a little get together/sprinkle if you really want to. they are supposed to be small and im sure her family will get her something anyway

This too. =) Good luck OP! 

• Loading the player...
  • I think you are making this more complicated than it needs to be. 

A "sprinkle" without gifts is an oxymoron, no?  Isn't the PURPOSE of a sprinkle to bring a small gift?  Because for whatever reason a full baby shower isn't deemed appropriate? If no gifts are truely wanted then call it a "meet the baby" party.

Seriously, I'm not OK with the idea of a sprinkle anyway.   Either the MTB needs things for the baby or she doesn't.  If it is a second child and the mom has most of the stuff from her first then she doesn't need a shower...or a sprinkle.  Just throw her a small meet the baby party (which she should probably host herself, BTW), or save your resources for another friend's baby shower...a MTB that truely NEEDS items for her baby.

• imageCranang:
    imageTiger269:

If you feel obligated to bring a gift and are offended at being invited to a second shower or sprinkle becasue of this, RSVP no. Simple as that.

OP stated in the invitation "all you really need to bring is a smile" indicating that gifts were not an obligation. Some people want to bring gifts and most likely would even if it wasn't called a sprinkle or shower. Are you supposed to tell those guests that they are not allowed to bring gifts because it might make the other guests who didn't bring gifts feel bad? Worrying about pleasing everyone is not only unrealistic but takes the focus away from the guest of honor: the mother to be. Her wants and requests should, in the end, be the most important. Guests should keep that in mind as well. If you don't like it, don't come.

Wow, you're a peach.  Friends and family you would feel close enough to invite to a shower, people you would presumably want to celebrate with you, can basically suck it if it doesn't make you happy.  That's frickin' awesome...

I am saying that when I throw a shower or party for a friend of family member (which I often do) I am focused on what they would like when it comes to size, guests, food, etc. I do my best to make the guests happy and comfortable, but my focus is on the guest of honor. If she wants a chocolate cake, but someone else coming hates chocolate, well then yes, they can either suck it up or not come. Also, when I attend a party I do so with the mentality that I am there in honor of someone else, not there for myself. And as far as my own party, I don't throw parties "for" myself. My SIL and friend will be throwing my shower and we all share the same outlook. The people I will be inviting to my shower know that I am inviting them because I want them there and want them to be a part of the celebration, not because I want a gift from them. As I stated before, if they feel obligated to bring a gift but are opposed to the idea for whatever reason, they don't have to come. I would rather someone not come than overextend themselves financially or make themselves uncomfortable by bringing a gift, or come and be miserable for whatever reason. 

My whole point to OP is that the shower is for the guest of honor (whether you consider it the baby or the MTB), not the guests. You cannot control how others react, and whether or not some people get offended because you want to throw your friend a shower should not be a deciding factor on whether you do so or not. 

• My MIL is throwing my a sprinkle. I think it's "gift grabby" but I'm not going to hurt her feelings by saying no. So I'm just going with the flow. People know I didn't throw/ask for this & they aren't forced to attend! I think it's a nice gesture from you & if her sister doesn't like it she doesn't have to participate. 
  • imageTiger269:

If you feel obligated to bring a gift and are offended at being invited to a second shower or sprinkle becasue of this, RSVP no. Simple as that.

OP stated in the invitation "all you really need to bring is a smile" indicating that gifts were not an obligation. Some people want to bring gifts and most likely would even if it wasn't called a sprinkle or shower. Are you supposed to tell those guests that they are not allowed to bring gifts because it might make the other guests who didn't bring gifts feel bad? Worrying about pleasing everyone is not only unrealistic but takes the focus away from the guest of honor: the mother to be. Her wants and requests should, in the end, be the most important. Guests should keep that in mind as well. If you don't like it, don't come.

This! If you're offended or don't want to spend more money, rsvp no! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"