December 2012 Moms

Kinda mad at my OB and her PA...

I haven't called my doctor for anything this whole pregnancy, so I'm not one of those people that calls all the time.  After a week of feeling pressure and trying to change my eating habits (more fiber, etc) and drinking more water in case it was constipation, I called my doctor concerned.  They fit me in to meet with her physician's assistant who disregarded my concern and checked for hemorrhoids.  Of course, I didn't have them, I feel like the placenta is bulging not pain in THAT area.  I have placenta previa, so they can't check internally, but what drove me nuts is that she disregarded my concern and told me to eat more fiber and drink more water.  I'm not having ANY constipation issues at this point and it really annoyed me that I was just told don't worry about it when I'm feeling pressure for a week.  My baby has not changed positions and the pressure is constant.  I'm super agitated because I pay really close attention to what's going on with my body and to be disregarded, even as a first time mom, was truly disheartening.

The physician's assistant told me that my doctor wasn't concerned unless I'm bleeding or leaking, which I'm not, but it feels like something is about to tear and I feel it's stupid to ignore it completely.  Am I just being hormonal?  I'll probably talk to my doctor about it when I see her next, but I feel so annoyed that I'm considering switching birthing locations because if I can't trust them to listen to me now, what can I expect during delivery?  For some reason, my family is super accident prone at the doctor's office and I don't want to have to fight while I'm in that position (hopefully giving birth 100% without medication).

Re: Kinda mad at my OB and her PA...

• I'm sorry they didn't take your concerns seriously. That sounds really frustrating. All I can say is you always have the option to go above them and go straight to L&D if you are really concerned. Good luck!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

BFP#1 on 02/14/09 BIRTH to Mason 6lb9oz on 10/12/09

BFP#2 on 5/28/11 EDD 2/1/12 Natural M/C on 6/13/11

BFP#3 on 1/20/12 EDD 9/30/12 Natural m/c on 1/27/12

BFP#4 on 4/23/12 BIRTH to Isabella 7lb1oz on 12/19/12

• IMHO, you are your only advocate...if you feel something is potentially wrong, and they won't take you seriously, go somewhere else (L&D like the pp stated is where I'd start). You know your body better than anyone else so if you feel something's wrong, it's better to have someone check it out rather than let them gloss it over without listening to what you have to say.

BFP #1 12/02/11, M/C 12/08/11
    BFP #2 04/06/12, DD born 12/20/12
    BFP #3 06/09/14, M/C 06/15/14

• Loading the player...
  • i'm a FTM too and i know your pain.  like PPs said,my ob/peri also told me to call L&D directly after 20 or 22 weeks pregnant.  hope you can feel better soon!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Trust your instincts and go someplace else for confirmation. If something were to go wrong you are the one that will ultimately have to deal with the consequences. My sister felt what she thought were labor pains and called her doctor repeatedly for several days and they kept telling her not to worry it was just Braxton hicks. She finally got them to see her and found out she was in labor. The labor could not be stopped and she had her son very early and he later died from complications of being born so early. This is an extreme situation and I'm sure you are fine. But this is an example of doctors overlooking something huge because in most situations what the person is reporting can be attributed to something harmless.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerAnniversary

• imageilenegrace:
    I'm sorry they didn't take your concerns seriously. That sounds really frustrating. All I can say is you always have the option to go above them and go straight to L&D if you are really concerned. Good luck!

This.   If you feel strongly that something is worthly of concern go to L&D right away. 

pregnancy due date BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"