2nd Trimester

Complete placenta previa - was not present at a/s scan (19 weeks) but was present today (21 weeks)

I had my a/s 2 weeks ago at just shy of 19 weeks.  Everything looked great.

I went in today for a check due to some irregular contractions (pretty sure they are just Braxton Hicks - but I felt that it was really early to be having them and OB wanted to check).  They did an ultrasound to measure my cervix (she mentioned it felt "long"?) and discovered a complete placenta previa - I'm just shy of 21 weeks now.  It was the same ultrasound tech that did my a/s and she even went back and looked at my previous scan to double check to make sure she didn't miss it.  I've had no bleeding whatsoever.  1st child was a completely normal pregnancy and delivered vaginally, I don't have any of the risk factors listed on the internet.  They're doing a repeat ultrasound in 2 weeks to see if it has moved.  I'm just curious if anyone else has any experience in NOT having it diagnosed at the a/s but then having it diagnosed later.

TIA

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Complete placenta previa - was not present at a/s scan (19 weeks) but was present today (21 weeks)

• :( I haven't (still really early for me), but I have been advised to watch for any kind of spotting because baby A's placenta is lower down on my uterus, so his has a chance of migrating over the cervix. They're not too worried about it, because I'll probably be on bedrest eventually and having a Cesarean regardless of where their placentas are - they just want me to go in and get my rhogam shot early if I start bleeding before my scheduled dose.
    image  image

image image

*Spontaneous* OHSS diagnosed 08.06.2012
    Right ovary removed 09.04.2012 via vertical laparotomy
    Essure implant placed on remaining tube 06.13.2013; successful followup scan 09.30.2013

• Just a guess from a lurking grandma-to-be who also happens to be an ultrasound tech.

Chances are your anatomy scan was done transabdominally with your bladder full and they checked your cervical length today transvaginally with your bladder empty.  That *could be* your difference.  Otherwise, placenta's usually migrate superiorly (towards your head) with the growth of your uterus and you have time yet.  It should still be closely monitored.

Good luck to you : ) 

• Loading the player...
  • I see this condition a lot on this board... what exactly is placenta previa?
  • I was told at an optional ultrasound to find out gender (17w5d) that my placenta was anterior.  Full bladder.

At my AS ultrasound (20w5d) I asked my tech about the anterior placenta and he said it wasn't, but that the tip of it was just touching the opening of my cervix.  He said that my OB would probably just have me do another ultrasound around 28 weeks to make sure it moved, which he was pretty sure it would.  He said the doctor would look at the pics and let my OB know.  Full bladder on this ultrasound also. 

When I got home, I researched online a bit and figured it was probably marginal/partial placenta previa.  I felt pretty good since the chances of it moving are around 95%.

When my OB called to give me the results, she said it was complete previa and I needed to go on pelvic rest.  Follow up ultrasound at 28 weeks. 

So who knows! I won't get another ultrasound for 5 more weeks, but I'm praying it moves.  I've had no bleeds, so that's at least good.

Good luck to you!

I prayed for this child, and the LORD has granted me what I asked of Him. ~ 1 Samuel 1:27 NIV
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"