Baby Showers
Options

Best Shower Games

I'm throwing a shower for my friend at the end of October, but I'm pregnant myself and want to get as much done ahead of time as possible.  Does anyone have any good recommendations for games?  I'd love to do something other than guess-the-gift bingo!  Thanks SO much for any ideas you can pass along!

Re: Best Shower Games

• Options

Instead of games why not have an activity?  Some that I like include:

Giving each guest a fabric square and fabric pen to write a message for the baby.  Then have the hostess sew them into a keepsake quilt.

Same basic idea ^ but instead writing the message on cardstock and then the hostess makes a scrapbook (including pictures of the event and little decorations that were used).

And, I know you didn't ask but I feel compelled to add; please do not put stuff in diapers and make your guests smell/eat/guess what it is.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic image
  • Options

Oh, another game I like is called, "Mommy's Bottomless Purse".  It's an elimination game.  Basically the Guest of Honor starts and she says something like, "Inside Mommy's purse there is a snack".  Then all the guests in the room who have a snack in their purse pull it out.  Anyone who doesn't have a snack in their purse is out of the game.  The next guest would say something like, "Inside Mommy's purse there is a pair of nail clippers".  Again they would pull them out or be out of the game.  This continues until there's only one guest left- she wins!

In the past I've made up certificates saying "Mommy's Bottomless Purse Winner" and a gift certificate. It's really fun and the guest doesn't have to be a mom to play (it's funnier when they aren't).

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    We did like a baby charade type game at my shower. I had a list of baby items and people had to guess it. Who ever got the most right won a prize.  I did not really want a bunch of games, but I think it depends on the crowd. I had mostly older women in their mid to late 30's and several over 60.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

I was at a shower where they had the hostess read out different Mother Goose rhymes and had people fill in the blanks when she left out a word.  Whoever got the most right won.  They also had a matching game where you had to pair the mother animal with what the baby animal was called, like cat=kitten, etc... some of them were tough!  The shower was big so most games were on paper like this, and if there was a tie, the winners would go up and cut a piece of string to see who was the closest to guessing how big mommy was around the belly as a tiebreaker.

These games were good because if you have showers where not a lot of people know each other, it doesn't require a lot of teamwork or other involvement... ladies can just stay in their seats and play.

A pp said not to do the diaper thing... at a shower I went to they melted different chocolate bars into the diapers and you had to smell/taste and guess what they were.  I thought it was hilarious, but I was also in my 1st trimester and wanted to barf.  I think that game is a little overdone.  But I still kind of love it.

• Options
    imagemoonglow_84:

I was at a shower where they had the hostess read out different Mother Goose rhymes and had people fill in the blanks when she left out a word.  Whoever got the most right won.  They also had a matching game where you had to pair the mother animal with what the baby animal was called, like cat=kitten, etc... some of them were tough!  The shower was big so most games were on paper like this, and if there was a tie, the winners would go up and cut a piece of string to see who was the closest to guessing how big mommy was around the belly as a tiebreaker.

These games were good because if you have showers where not a lot of people know each other, it doesn't require a lot of teamwork or other involvement... ladies can just stay in their seats and play.

A pp said not to do the diaper thing... at a shower I went to they melted different chocolate bars into the diapers and you had to smell/taste and guess what they were.  I thought it was hilarious, but I was also in my 1st trimester and wanted to barf.  I think that game is a little overdone.  But I still kind of love it.

If it were only types of candy bars I would be 100% on board and love the game.  I've been to several though where the host would get "creative" and put stuff like bean dip, baby food, guccamole, tomato paste, an so on. 

• Options
    It's nothing new, but every baby shower I have been to or thrown we have played the "baby" game (where you can't say the word "baby"). I have used small pacifiers that I tied to string like a necklace, and I have also seen small clothes pins used. Some guests don't care, but there are always a few who take the game VERY seriously and make it their mission to end up with the most pins or whatever. It is funny to sit back and watch them work the room trying to trick people into giving up their pins.
  • Options
    Best game I did at a shower I hosted was the price is right. You take 6 or 7 different baby related items ex. Desitin, bottles, formula, diapers etc and you have them all lined up in a row and have the guests guess how much all of it cost total before tax without going over bid! The winner is whoever came closest without going over. Everyone loved this game! Also, a diaper raffle was fun, not really a game but on the invite you can give guests an option that if they bring any size diapers or package of wipes they can be entered into a raffle to win a prize. Most everyone does this and it's an awesome way for mommy to be to stock up on all the things shes actually going to need.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    At my shower, my friends had brought blank white onesies and fabric pens, and each guest made a onesie for LO. They also did a variation on the newlywed game--they asked me questions related to my pregnancy, and asked what DH's answers would be. They had videotaped him answering the same questions, so I got to see how close our answers were. It was awesome!

Anniversary

TTC #2 since July 2014
    BFP 9/27/14
    MMC discovered 10/27/14, D&C 11/4/14
  • Options
    imagegraciesmurf:
    imagemoonglow_84:

If it were only types of candy bars I would be 100% on board and love the game.  I've been to several though where the host would get "creative" and put stuff like bean dip, baby food, guccamole, tomato paste, an so on. 

Eeeeew that's way too nastyyy! I couldn't have handled that!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"