December 2011 Moms
Options

my schedule is going to kill me

I teach 5 classes in a row, get a 25 minute lunch, teach another class and then have my planning time.  By the time my planning time comes around, I need a serious mental break so I don't even want to do anything.  I'm too tired to even walk to my car right now, LOL!  I know once I get into the swing of things, I'll probably love having a short day after lunch, but right now, it SUCKS! 

Re: my schedule is going to kill me

• Options

I had a schedule just like that for years, with no bathroom break. I used to lurk in my doorway waiting for a para to walk by so I could snag her into my room so I could go pee. It sucked.

My planning time was spent yakking with other teachers and eating candy the first year I had to do that. I was SO burnt out by that time.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

Wow!  That does sound like a tough schedule.  I'm sorry you're finding yourself so exhausted to use your planning time.  :(  Hopefully after the craziness of the first few weeks wears off, things will get easier.

Is teaching 6 classes a "normal" load at your school?  When I taught full time HS (the last 4 years, I split my time between HS and elem), we taught 5 classes, had a "duty" (either study hall or lunch supervision), and had a planning period.

ETA:  Some teachers at my school choose to teach 6 classes and not have a duty...they get paid an extra stipend.

imageimage

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Yep, 6 is normal.  I have my soccer kids in the morning, then 5 history classes and 1 planning time.  It's usually not so bad because they are usually able to space lunch and planning out a little better.  I've never had more than 3 classes in a row before I got some sort of break.  It will just take some getting used to.  And all my classes have 30 kids.
  • Options
    Yikes!!  Are your history classes all one prep or are they different levels?  30 kids per class makes a TON of grading!
    imageimage

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

imageKeyLime81:
    Yikes!!  Are your history classes all one prep or are they different levels?  30 kids per class makes a TON of grading!

Thankfully, just one prep- the same class and grade.  But yeah, I have 153 students total. And we are required to have at least 12 daily grades and 3 exams each 9 week period.

• Options
    Ugh, that is a tough schedule. I feel for you. On the bright side, it's only 1 prep so you won't have extra planning. Hopefully, as the school year progresses, it will get easier- also once you get through the 5 classes, you are almost done for the day :) 

________________________________________________________________________________________________

sibling love  

• Options
    That sounds super stressful! I hope you get used to the new schedule quickly!
    DS born 12/2011
    DD born 03/2014

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"