Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

flying with a 14month old

Hi mommas,

I'm not sure what to do with DD when we fly for her first time. It is only a little over a 2 1/2 hr flight but I'm not sure what to do to entertain her through that time. She is a wiggle worm and hates to be confined so I'm partially dreading her driving people crazy on the plane.  

Have any of you mommas flown with your LO's yet? What did you bring or do to entertain them? Ideas would be SO appreciated!! 

Thanks! 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: flying with a 14month old

• I kept my son up a few hours past his nap so that he would sleep the whole way to Florida (we live near Toronto).  It was beautiful.  He slept the whole time while I watched Footloose and drank two glasses of wine.  Same thing for the way back.  You may also want to try an ipad loaded up with cool videos.   And bring lots of snacks. Good luck!!!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• We brought the iPad and tons of books...that kept him occupied for a few hours.

• Loading the player...
  • Snacks, a lot of little toys (new toys are a great little surprise), crayons, stickers (she loves stickers), paper (to draw on, rip up, whatever floats their boat) and my personal favorite, going to the bathroom

It's nice for her to get out of the seat and go to a new area, plus she get's to look at herself in the mirror, wash her hands and face, splash in the water.  We take a 2 hour flight to visit my parents every 3 months or so.  On each flight we usually take at least 2 trips to the bathroom.  When we get back from the bathroom she is again interested in the toys she's already played with.

Sadly she has never slept on a flight (no matter what time we fly, even if it's nap time).  

Good Luck!

image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Snacks! DD is quite the wiggle worm also and the new toys and books kept her occupied for a little but the snacks and water/juice kept her occupied enough for the flight... it helps if you are sitting next to someone baby friendly too, my LO is very social and we got lucky on the way back to have a nice girl sitting next to us who talked to DD most of the flight! :) Good Luck! 
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers Photobucket
  • I've flown 4 times with DD, but it was between the ages of 9 to 11 months. She was not yet walking, DH was with us and it wasn't nearly as bad as it could have been! Those flights were each 4 hours long and nonstop.

I'm going to be flying alone with her in 2 weeks and she'll have just turned 15 months. Our flight is 1.5 hours, has a 1.5 hour layover, and then is an additional 5.5 hours. I am scared!!!

Someone previously had recommended touch and feel flash cards, so I bought some of those on Amazon. I also ordered a few new board books. I won't show her any of those things until we're on the plane, so hopefully the newness will buy me a little extra entertainment time! She doesn't really color in coloring books yet, but she does like to draw lines in them with crayons while I color, so I'll probably bring one book and a couple of crayons with us. I will also bring a pack of stickers because she likes those right now as well. 

She's rarely ever seen TV, but I did notice that our Delta flight has some free TV channels offered, so if she starts to have a meltdown and I can't figure out any other solution, I might let her watch some cartoons. :)

BabyFruit Ticker

DH: 34/Me: 35
    Married: Feb 2008
    DD: June 2011
    TTC# 2: April 2014
    BFP!! 8/29/16 --> EDD: 5/11/17....it's a GIRL!!! :)
  • LO flew at 13 and at 15 months.

We put some shows (Yo Gabba Gabba, Blue's Clues) and the free Fisher Price baby games on the iPhone.

Also had very good luck with a $15 Magna Doodle (actually the Fisher-Price Doodle Pro Travel).

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"