Food Allergy

Blood test on a 9 month old

If you had your LO allergy-tested, is the blood test a pretty reliable one?  My DD had her blood-tested results come back and didn't show positive for milk or soy, but still has super mucusy poops.  Could this be a false negative, or just the way she poops?  We have never seen any visible blood.  Do all Ped offices test diapers for blood if I ask for it?  How do I go about doing this?  Do I call and say that I will bring in a diaper when she goes, and take it in, minus the wipes?  How do you go about that?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Blood test on a 9 month old

• Yes, the results can be negative and an allergy or intolerance can still exist. Even the skin tests can be negative and one can still have allergy or intol.  A reaction always trumps a test.

Ask the pedi about testing her stool for blood. They can provide you with the materials to collect a stool sample. Don't bring in a dirty diaper unless they tell you too.

You may also want to see a pediatric allergist. Good luck.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• A blood test does not show if a person has an intolerance. And like pp said, tests can be inaccurate for allergies as well. DD2 has milk, soy protein intolerance. We had her tested for allergies at 5 months old and she is not allergic to dairy or soy, she only had a slight reaction to cashews. There is a difference between intolerances and allergies.

DD1 is allergic to dairy, soy, and eggs. She gets hives if dairy or eggs touch her skin. Her body has an immune response to her allergens. DD2 is intolerant of milk and soy proteins. Her body can't digest them, so she had GI issues when those foods were in my diet. 

Our pedi ordered a test of DD2's stool and it tested positive for blood even when we couldn't see it. We did sometimes see tiny specks of blood in some of her diapers. The pedi ordered another test once I'd been dairy and soy free for about 5 wks and it was negative for blood then (and it was a normal color and consistency by then too).  

someecardscom - Im well on my way to getting absolutely nothing done today
    DD1: allergic to eggs & dairy Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    c/p 4/1/11

DD2: milk and soy protein intolerant, allergic to eggs, soy, peanuts, tree nuts, sesame, bananasBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    MSPI Moms Check-In Blog
  • Loading the player...
  • Ditto the PPs.  My DD2 has a milk intolerance, but she's not allergic to milk.  She gets an upset stomach and is very fussy if she has milk or ice cream, but she doesn't have a true allergic reaction. 

ETA: Sorry, I hit post before I was done :)  DD2's intolerances wouldn't show up on a blood test or a skin prick test, but they are definitely there.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"