June 2011 Moms

UO Thursday

Ok this wont cause nearly as much a stir as it did last week (I don't think) but its the best I can come up with.

I cannot stand seeing someones tattoos while they are wearing formal wear. I think it is just trashy and tacky. I understand they are "a part of you" but I think it detracts from the beauty of what you are wearing. Especially when its a bride in her wedding gown.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: UO Thursday

• imagetulipblossom:

Ok this wont cause nearly as much a stir as it did last week (I don't think) but its the best I can come up with.

I cannot stand seeing someones tattoos while they are wearing formal wear. I think it is just trashy and tacky. I understand they are "a part of you" but I think it detracts from the beauty of what you are wearing. Especially when its a bride in her wedding gown.

I couldnt agree with you more....

Our World!!

Blaine Emerson                  Bailey Rae

3-31-14                               6-10-11

image image
  • I totally agree...

I am so surprised how many people actually still smoke cigarettes. I was sitting at a red light this morning in the left turn lane and watched people coming from the other direction. Like 4 cars consecutively of cigarette smokers and one behind me. Its 2012 people and did you have enough warnings yet!?? Granted I can not imagine how hard it is to kick the addiction but that is my UO.

• Loading the player...
  • Totally disagree with that.  Unless, of course, we are talking homemade or poor quality tattoos.  It is a part of who a person is and they shouldn't have to hide it.  And I think it is very rude of a bride to require any bridesmaids with ink to cover it up.  Again, it is a part of who she is and she shouldn't have to hide it.
  • I'm on the other side of the tattoo issue. I have one on my upper back that was visible during my wedding. I wore my (long) hair down so it was sort of concealed, but as MOH in my sister's wedding it was fully visible. I don't really see it any differently that jewelry.

It is very very hard to quit smoking. I have quit many times as has my DH. Trust me, smokers are well aware of the risks/warnings, but unfortunately it's not as simple as that.

My UO is that I don't have an problem giving DS juice. He only gets a little a day and it encourages him to drink more water overall so I call it a good thing!

BFP#1: 01/10, M/C 6w
    BFP#2: 06/10, M/C 5w
    BFP#3: 09/10, DS born June 1, 2011
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP#4: 07/12, M/C 5w3d
    BFP#5: 12/12, EDD 08/18/13
    Pregnancy Ticker

My Blog: Decorate This
  • imageSarahKate31:

have an problem giving DS juice. He only gets a little a day and it encourages him to drink more water overall so I call it a good thing!

A little juice is the only was DS drinks outta a sippy cup.

• This will stir the pot.

I judge people that don't exercise, eat healthy, and live a sedentary lifestyle.  Maybe it is the medical professional in me, but I think it's heartbreaking that someone would allow themself to become a statistic of heart disease, diabetes, or cancers caused by obesity.  It's truly sad that some people don't care enough about themselves to take the necessary steps to offset these PREVENTABLE diseases, even if it is for your children.  The fact is: a sedentary lifestyle will kill you.  I judge people that fail to recognize this, and continue to decrease their lifespan.

And FYI: I am not talking about those with medical conditions that are precursors to obesity, just those that are simply lazy.

Post and run (literally).  Throwing my kids in the BOB and going for a jog.  Lol.

• imageSunidaze:
    Totally disagree with that.  Unless, of course, we are talking homemade or poor quality tattoos.  It is a part of who a person is and they shouldn't have to hide it.  And I think it is very rude of a bride to require any bridesmaids with ink to cover it up.  Again, it is a part of who she is and she shouldn't have to hide it.

I dont think its rude, if a bride is spending possibly a few thousand dollars to get photographs taken she has every right to say what can and cannot be in the photos. Its the same as saying everyone has to wear a color she chooses, dress style she likes, get their nails done a specific way, do their hair however she wants ect.

One of my closest friends forced all her bridesmaids to get an entire face and under arm waxing for her wedding. I had a terrible reaction to this and had to go to a dermatologist for something to heal my face 2 days before the wedding. Its just how it gos with some brides.

• imagetulipblossom:

imageSunidaze:
    Totally disagree with that.  Unless, of course, we are talking homemade or poor quality tattoos.  It is a part of who a person is and they shouldn't have to hide it.  And I think it is very rude of a bride to require any bridesmaids with ink to cover it up.  Again, it is a part of who she is and she shouldn't have to hide it.

I dont think its rude, if a bride is spending possibly a few thousand dollars to get photographs taken she has every right to say what can and cannot be in the photos. Its the same as saying everyone has to wear a color she chooses, dress style she likes, get their nails done a specific way, do their hair however she wants ect.

One of my closest friends forced all her bridesmaids to get an entire face and under arm waxing for her wedding. I had a terrible reaction to this and had to go to a dermatologist for something to heal my face 2 days before the wedding. Its just how it gos with some brides.

I know some brides are like this, but that doesn't mean it's not rude. Can I demand that my bridesmaids all dye their hair blonde for my wedding? Where do you draw the line?

BFP#1: 01/10, M/C 6w
    BFP#2: 06/10, M/C 5w
    BFP#3: 09/10, DS born June 1, 2011
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP#4: 07/12, M/C 5w3d
    BFP#5: 12/12, EDD 08/18/13
    Pregnancy Ticker

My Blog: Decorate This
  • imageSarahKate31:
    imagetulipblossom:

imageSunidaze:

I know some brides are like this, but that doesn't mean it's not rude. Can I demand that my bridesmaids all dye their hair blonde for my wedding? Where do you draw the line?

If a bride wants you to alter your appearance for her wedding the line needs to be something that cannot be corrected with a shower. Make up washes off, hair styles come out. Hair dye not so much so yes that would be crossing the line for me.

Also I think crossing the line would be something that interferes with your religious beliefs. Like I would never ask a Muslim friend not to wear her head covering to be a bridesmaid. Same as I did bend over backwards to try and accommodate my Mormon friend to find something to wear with her dress that would cover her shoulders because the dresses I picked were not what she could wear and we could not find an alternate dress.

• imagetulipblossom:

imageSunidaze:

There is no forcing.  If someone were to 'force' me to do something I am not comfortable with or risk being booted from the wedding party, I will opt for the latter, thank you.  Again...in my opinion (and perhaps I should have stated this the first time around that this is my opinion) it is rude for a bride to demand a BM cover up tattoos, have their hair/nails/makeup done a certain way and/or by a certain person, demand participation in activities outside of the wedding itself (especially pricy activities).  Sure...the bride may spend a few thousand on photos, but is the bride also paying for all the extras she is forcing/demanding of her bridesmaids?  If not, she doesn't get a say on how the hair/nails/makeup is done, covering of tattoos, hair removal, etc.  If she is spending that much on photos and she is that concerned about appearances (wouldn't want that person as a friend anyway), well, you'd be amazed at what most photogs can accomplish these days with the editing software available to them.

• imagejc&cat:

I am so surprised how many people actually still smoke cigarettes. I was sitting at a red light this morning in the left turn lane and watched people coming from the other direction. Like 4 cars consecutively of cigarette smokers and one behind me. Its 2012 people and did you have enough warnings yet!?? Granted I can not imagine how hard it is to kick the addiction but that is my UO.

I smoked for 15 years. The day my pregnancy test said "Pregnant" I handed my pack of cigarettes to my hubby. I had 1 slip up while I was pregnant that I am not proud of and to this day makes me very upset that I took a puff off of a cigarette. I have not picked up another cigarette since that "slip up".

With that said, I dont think that I would have the will power to quit on my own, with out a reason that I HAD to quit. It is a very addicting drug. If you are not or never have been a smoker you will NOT understand this addiction. It is unlike any other addiction. It isnt as "simple" as you think it is. All smokers are aware of the danger and what diseases it leads you too. I would assume 95% of all smokers want to quit, but just dont have the will power to do so.

In no way am I condoning smoking, I am just trying to help you understand it isnt a easy fix. I thank god every day that my DD will not know her mother as a smoker and I pray she nevers picks this habbit up. I will do everything in my power to stear her clear of them.

Our World!!

Blaine Emerson                  Bailey Rae

3-31-14                               6-10-11

image image
  • imageSunidaze:
    imagetulipblossom:

imageSunidaze:

There is no forcing.  If someone were to 'force' me to do something I am not comfortable with or risk being booted from the wedding party, I will opt for the latter, thank you.  Again...in my opinion (and perhaps I should have stated this the first time around that this is my opinion) it is rude for a bride to demand a BM cover up tattoos, have their hair/nails/makeup done a certain way and/or by a certain person, demand participation in activities outside of the wedding itself (especially pricy activities).  Sure...the bride may spend a few thousand on photos, but is the bride also paying for all the extras she is forcing/demanding of her bridesmaids?  If not, she doesn't get a say on how the hair/nails/makeup is done, covering of tattoos, hair removal, etc.  If she is spending that much on photos and she is that concerned about appearances (wouldn't want that person as a friend anyway), well, you'd be amazed at what most photogs can accomplish these days with the editing software available to them.

OK I am not trying to start a flame war with you about what I ask next. I would like your honest opinion because this specific problem did happen at my wedding with someone who is no longer a friend due to many many things but this was one of them.

I bought the dresses for my bridesmaids and made sure they covered this particular girls tattoos one was on her boob. I told her even before we bought dresses that her boob tattoo was going to be covered because people in my family are very religious, judgmental, and not tattoo fans. So I paid for it and she still tried to do everything in her power to make her boob tattoo show and we had many discussions that she needed to wear the dress the way it was intended and keep herself covered. Was I rude for doing this?

• imagetulipblossom:
    imageSunidaze:
    imagetulipblossom:

imageSunidaze:

OK I am not trying to start a flame war with you about what I ask next. I would like your honest opinion because this specific problem did happen at my wedding with someone who is no longer a friend due to many many things but this was one of them.

I bought the dresses for my bridesmaids and made sure they covered this particular girls tattoos one was on her boob. I told her even before we bought dresses that her boob tattoo was going to be covered because people in my family are very religious, judgmental, and not tattoo fans. So I paid for it and she still tried to do everything in her power to make her boob tattoo show and we had many discussions that she needed to wear the dress the way it was intended and keep herself covered. Was I rude for doing this?

This goes to the whole if the bride is going to pay for it (which is in my response as well), then whatev. 

The thing is, when we chose our wedding party, we didn't choose them with the thought of whether or not anyone in either of our families would find them offensive.  We just them because of who they are and what they mean to us and we weren't about to change them (though in hindsight, there are some people I wish we didn't have and some that I wish we would have).  If someone in either of our families didn't like it for whatever reason (and we had tattooed bridesmaids and groomsmen and a few odd hair colors, and earrings in guys and whatever else) no one said a thing about it because they respected us and our decisions.

• imagetulipblossom:
    imageSunidaze:
    imagetulipblossom:

imageSunidaze:

I don't think I'd be friends with someone who would go that out of their way to be disrespectful to me. It's not like you demanded she wear something weird or put makeup on her tattoo, you bought her a dress that happened to not show it (and happened to not show her boobs, which is preferable IMO whether it is tattood or not!)

photo image_zps90e45ea2.jpg
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • imageCarlaAndJames:
    imagetulipblossom:
    imageSunidaze:
    imagetulipblossom:

imageSunidaze:

I don't think I'd be friends with someone who would go that out of their way to be disrespectful to me. It's not like you demanded she wear something weird or put makeup on her tattoo, you bought her a dress that happened to not show it (and happened to not show her boobs, which is preferable IMO whether it is tattood or not!)

Yes this girl and I are no longer friends due to several things she did to try and disrespect me before and DURING my wedding. She was escorted out and no longer welcome before dinner was over and I never spoke to her again. (DH did but I never saw or spoke to her) She was originally DH's friend and he kept telling me "I will talk to her" about the things she was doing but he never did. He says if he had to do it over again he would have never let her be in the wedding party.

• imageSunidaze:
    imagetulipblossom:
    imageSunidaze:
    imagetulipblossom:

imageSunidaze:

This goes to the whole if the bride is going to pay for it (which is in my response as well), then whatev. 

The thing is, when we chose our wedding party, we didn't choose them with the thought of whether or not anyone in either of our families would find them offensive.  We just them because of who they are and what they mean to us and we weren't about to change them (though in hindsight, there are some people I wish we didn't have and some that I wish we would have).  If someone in either of our families didn't like it for whatever reason (and we had tattooed bridesmaids and groomsmen and a few odd hair colors, and earrings in guys and whatever else) no one said a thing about it because they respected us and our decisions.

Yes I also did explain to her it was my wish to not have tattoos showing I didn't just blame it on my family. I told her several times it was my wish for no tattoos and that was on my mind while picking dresses.

And like I said she was DH's friend at first. I chose her because of their friendship, it later became very apparent she didn't give d@m about me or him really with how she acted when he tried to work things out. 

• imagetulipblossom:
    imageSunidaze:

Yes I also did explain to her it was my wish to not have tattoos showing I didn't just blame it on my family. I told her several times it was my wish for no tattoos and that was on my mind while picking dresses.

And like I said she was DH's friend at first. I chose her because of their friendship, it later became very apparent she didn't give d@m about me or him really with how she acted when he tried to work things out. 

One of my biggest BM regets (there were two on my side) was a friend of DH.  I never did care for her (both she and her boyfriend/fiance were in our wedding...I refer to them as 'Dumb and Dumber') but I always bit my tongue.  I wish I had said something to DH prior because I honestly hate seeing her face in our wedding photos as well as I won't even look at the dvd.  That is how much I dislike this person.  I was very lenient with my BMs, outside of the dresses and shoes, they had free reign.  She made a comment about the color of my MOH's hair (another BM regret...not her hair, but her) meanwhile she was sporting a craptacular bicep tattoo that I uttered not a peep about.

Had I done the whole thing over again, I would have been much more persuasive about going the Vegas route when we were there shortly after our engagement.  Quite often, weddings do nothing but bring out the worst in people, cause you to be something you are not, or do something you would not normally do all for the sake of pleasing someone other than yourself or your intended.

• imageSunidaze:

imagetulipblossom:
    imageSunidaze:

One of my biggest BM regets (there were two on my side) was a friend of DH.  I never did care for her (both she and her boyfriend/fiance were in our wedding...I refer to them as 'Dumb and Dumber') but I always bit my tongue.  I wish I had said something to DH prior because I honestly hate seeing her face in our wedding photos as well as I won't even look at the dvd.  That is how much I dislike this person.  I was very lenient with my BMs, outside of the dresses and shoes, they had free reign.  She made a comment about the color of my MOH's hair (another BM regret...not her hair, but her) meanwhile she was sporting a craptacular bicep tattoo that I uttered not a peep about.

Had I done the whole thing over again, I would have been much more persuasive about going the Vegas route when we were there shortly after our engagement.  Quite often, weddings do nothing but bring out the worst in people, cause you to be something you are not, or do something you would not normally do all for the sake of pleasing someone other than yourself or your intended.

Yes I totally understand the bolded. And I am sorry she will unfortunately be staring at you for the rest of your life in those photos.   When I look at the pictures that she is in they make me mad, she couldn't even fake a smile while she was there. The only photos we have displayed in our house are from after she was thrown out.

• imageSunidaze:

I kind of disagree with this.  A tattoo isn't a part of you (you weren't born with it) it was an alteration to your body, and as much as you may like it others might not.  If you want to show it off at your wedding, so be it, but don't be offended because your friend doesn't want your tattoo all over her wedding photos.

My kids are a part of "who I am" but there is a time to take them with me and a time to leave them home.  Everything has a time and a place, maybe if people respected that more the world would be a nicer place (this is not directed at you, just a general statement). 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie - (HKbp)Lilypie - (WKbt)
     Lilypie - (2DqE)  Lilypie - (1KYE)
    Lilypie - (RlhZ)Lilypie - (1CAm)
  • 3 of my 7 tattoos showed during my wedding.  I don't think they are a part of me, but I do think they express who I am.  And at times, 2 more showed.

If I were asked to cover them, nicely, I would have no issue it with.  If it were demanded of me, the bride better be providing the make up to cover them.  My back piece is large and between my shoulder blades, it would either take a lot of make up, that someone else would have to apply, or a jacket of some sort to keep it covered.

Thankfully, my SIL, whose wedding I will be in next year, doesn't care about any of that.  In fact, she made jokes about me dying my hair, which currently has pink highlights, aqua to match the dresses.

Oh, and demanding a full face wax... over the line

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I personally would never ask someone to stand up for me in my wedding if I didn't accept every part of who they are--personal appearance included.

When I got married, I asked my cousins to be ushers.  They are big boys.  All with long hair and interesting ear piercings.  I wanted them to be in the wedding as who they were.  Not some clean-cut image representing some false ideal of who they were not.  So when I asked them, I never asked them to cut their hair.  Take their ear piercings out.  Or anything.  So long as they showered, brushed their hair and put on a their suit, I was happy.

As for tatoos.  Eh.  Again, why ask them if you don't accept that part of them.  I understand not wanting the boob tattoo to show.  But, I personally, would never pick a dress with (a lot of) cleavage, so it wouldn't be a problem.  If it's on non-private part that is perfectly acceptable to be shown, then I just don't see the problem.  And I certainly wouldn't worry about what anyone else thought.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"