Pregnant after 35
Options

(Untitled)

me - 41 (dx: DOR); DH - 53 (no problems); 7/18/09 - married!; 8/4/09 - BFP on first (real)try; 9/14/09 - missed m/c; 9/15/09 - d&c; 11/09 - 3/10 - 4 natural cycles = BFN; 4/10 - dx hyperthyroidism caused by Graves' disease; 6/10 - thyroidectomy; 7/10 - 12/10 - 1 natural and 5 medicated IUI cycles = BFN; 1/11 - new RE; dx low ovarian reserve (AMH .42; 1/26/11 -- BFP (ectopic) from IUI #6; methotrexate 2/10/11; 6/2/11 - IVF #1 = BFN; 9/12/11 - prescreening for DE; 9/15/11 - IUI #7 (unmedicated)= BFN; 11/8 - begin DE cycle (shared risk program); 12/5 - ER (5 eggs/4 mature/3 fertilized/2 left by day 5) 12/10 - ET of one 1BB blast (expanded, "fair" quality), none to freeze; 12/22 - totally shocked by +hpt; beta #1 = 413; #2 = 3952 2/14 - CVS reveals a healthy baby girl! EDD: 8/27/12 DD born 8/31/12, 10 lbs 10 oz and perfect in every way. 

Re: (Untitled)

• Options
    imagemama2many:

Teaching hospital or not, you have the right to refuse a resident, ask for a different nurse, request a phlebotomy tech to start an IV, etc. It's YOUR care.

Hope the induction goes well, and you have a straight forward delivery. 

I agree with everything but request a phlebotomy tech to start an IV. They aren't allowed to do that in our hospital or the other hospitals I've ever worked at in the last 8 years. They can access a vein but not "put anything into it" which is how it was explained to me. Plus, IV's are harder than drawing blood. I'm a nurse and it is easier to draw blood then to establish an IV on some ppl with crappy veins. What is optimal is an ED nurse, an L and D nurse (they start them all the time too), or a PICC nurse. People have a say in their care, but asking someone to step outside of their scope of practice is not within those rights.

Plus, tell that attending doctor to bite you, you are pregnant, in labor, in some discomfort and say the resident can watch. Plus, residents are doctors, they've graduated medical school, but they need to be "babysat" by attendings for years until they are "on their own." You have the right to not let someone touch you whether it's a "teaching hospital" or not. So many times patients haven't wanted a student nurse so I had to take over and have the student just watch.

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"