Food Allergy
Options

Tell me what to eat...

I have been on the elimination diet for 2.5 weeks (I have eaten nothing but plain chicken, turkey, rice, potatoes, sweet potatoes, zucchini and pears). 8 days ago I realized my prenatal vitamin said it contains fish and soy, so I stopped taking that also. We had my son's allergy testing done today and according to the results, he's allergic to oats, corn, beef and fish (I realize that allergy testing at such a young age is unreliable). There has been slight improvement in his disposition since starting the diet, but there is still blood and mucous in his stools. I don't know what else to change in my diet that would help him. The allergist today gave me samples of Neocate, but I'd really like to continue breastfeeding. Is it possible that he can't break down the meat protein and I should go on a vegan diet? What else can I do to help him?
Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
Allergic to soy, oat, egg, peanuts, and tree nuts
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Tell me what to eat...

• Options

Hmmm I have no answers for you, do you have a dr or nutritionist to talk to?  I have been on a top8 free diet for a week and haven't seen much improvement so thinking about doing the total elimination diet :( Our gi does not recommend allergy testing till a year due to inaccurate results he has gotten in the past so we won't be doing that at this point.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Also infant reflux.org and babycenter have boards dedicated to elimination diets, maybe some more help there?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

there are vegan prenatals.. i highly recommend you start your vitimins again since you're on such a diet.  When i was doing this with DS1 i became animic and my calcium levels were really low

Here are a 2 of my favorite recommendations.. hope this helps

* quinoa with baked apples and cinammon (you can do loads of fun meals with quinone and it's super healthy.. i eat it as a vegeterian)

* Avocados (super healthy fats! much needed).. eat it sliced with a little salt, or as guacamole on safe chips.  You can even have avocado sushi which is AWESOME!

• Options
    My LO has multiple food intolerances and we've been BFing on an elimination diet.  He just turned 2 yrs and we've been doing it since he was 7 wks.  I ended up on a diet very similar to yours, I called it a modified TED diet, because I was still able to eat most fruits and veggies, but I did find that my LO was reacting to tomatoes and pears, weird right?  I'm thinking maybe they were too acidic?  Who knows!  Now that he's older he still is dairy/soy intolerant but has grown out of his other allergies.  
    When I started on TED I found infantreflux.org very helpful and some other links which I'll post for you... I just want to mention that every baby is different so you may need to play around with the diet and substitute things to figure out what your LO cannot tolerate.  I have read of dairy intolerant children also not being able to handle beef.. and although rare I've read of LO's not tolerating rice, a TED staple.  You could try quinoa for rice.  Anyway, if you get a chance look over these links..they were a lifesaver for me!

Elimination Diets video: https://bit.ly/yL1gFN 

allergy-friendly cookbook:https://bit.ly/d9QVFL 

Allergy Moms (www.allergymoms.com), Kids With Food Allergies (www.kidswithfoodallergies.org), Go Dairy Free (www.godairyfree.org) and Food Allergy Living (www.foodallergyliving.net)

Hang in there!
    Rachel Mom to 3 boys Augustboy02 - Sensational Sensory Kid Decemberboy04 -former reflux baby Augustboy10 - MFPI baby
  • Options
    I started dairy and soy free upon seeing blood in my LO's stools, then moved to a TED, but it was not until I was on a soy-free vegan diet that the blood stopped. I know for sure she is intolerant to dairy, soy, beef and chicken. Her dietitian suggested the vegan diet once I figured out she had been reacting to the chicken the whole time, since I thought it was a safe food. I just added salmon with success. I am not going to lie, the diet I am on sucks and it is very difficult for me to keep my weight on. It is worth it to me, so I will continue as long as we are both healthy. I eat all veggies, fruits, quinoa, brown rice, sweet potato, cascadian farm granola cereal with rice milk, oatmeal, safe homemade banana bread, cheeseless safe veggie pizza, hummus, all kinds of beans, kangaroo brand salad pita pockets, veggie burrito, veggie chili, black bean burgers, prepared soyfree vegan food from Whole Foods, veggie sushi, Enjoy Life snacks, and now a lot of salmon. I also use nutritional yeast and flaxseed when possible for the protein and Omega 3. I take Rainbow Light prenatal. GL!
  • Options
    I also wanted to add that I take a dissoluble B-12 supplement, since I am vegan. I read in a vegan book that you have to be able to chew B-12 or dissolve under your tongue when breastfeeding, and that it being in a prenatal that you swallow is not enough.  Also, our GI told me that it is rare, but some babies will react to all foreign proteins, and then would require formula since you cannot eliminate all protein from your diet. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"