Stay at Home Moms
Options

Sippy question

When did your LO start using a sippy? DD is 8 months old and still not interested...I offer her one everyday still but she just chews on it. I have tried ALL different types...cheap really hard spouts, soft spouts, the straw kind and she just will not suck out of them. I know I have asked before but now I am wondering if I am doing something wrong? She will drink water out of my glass or a water bottle like a little pro. If I fill a straw up, holding my finger over it and put that in her mouth she will suck out of it that way. I can kinda get her to suck out of a straw after I do that a few times then give her her cup but not for very long. Any ideas or should I just not worry about it right now?

April '14 Siggy Challenge:

god damn you're so effing cute gifimage

Re: Sippy question

• Options
    With DS we started around 6 months, we just put water in it. I wouldn't push it, wait until she's ready.
    m/c 2013
  • Options
    DD started drinking from a sippy at 11 months and was completely weaned of the bottle by 12 months.  DS is 8 months and still has no interest in a sippy cup.  I was going to try another kind of sippy cup but I keep forgetting to buy one when I go to the store.  It took us 4 sippy cups before we found one that DD would use. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    DD learned from a juice box.  I would squeeze the box a little bit so just enough juice would come up for her to know there was something in there and she'd start sucking.  After that she went to a straw sippy with no problem!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We started offering a sippy of water to both girls at 6 months. Just gave it to them with meals and let them play with it and figure it out on their own. DD1 didn't figure it out until 10 months, and wasn't drinking well from it until 11 or 12 months. DD2 figured it out around 7-8 months and loves to have it with meals, but still doesn't drink more than an oz or two out of it.
    Mama to two sweet girls
    DD1 Feb 2010
    DD2 Sept 2011

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I started offering it to DS with some water at meals at 6 months.  He didn't really catch on to how to really use it until at least 9 months.
    DS (7 years old) from FET in 2010
    DD (5 years old) from IUI in 2012
    TTC 3rd and final!: IUI #1 in progress!
  • Options
    I wouldn't worry about it right now.  I'd just keep offering it.  It took DS a little while to catch on to using it and he was a little closer to a year once he did really grasp it.  FWIW, we started with traditional spout sippies and then I noticed he was sucking on the top, but not tipping it so I gave him a straw sippy and he was good to go.  Of course he would have figured out to tip it eventually, but I really didn't care what kind of cup he took so we went with the straw.
    imagephoto 64bf363d-3af0-4dcc-b880-c06326daa418_zps78d8d389.jpg
    *My Blog*

photo 0cc607b9-4233-4842-8175-d093f8f92ca8_zps7cc00875.jpg
    10/50 Read

my read shelf:
    Stephanie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options

DD has always chewed on straws. Around 6.5 months we were having lunch with my H and she was chewing on his straw. She took a drink without us realizing and spit out a mouthful of Dr. Pepper. She surprised both of us, and her self haha After that we bough her some munchkin sippys and gave her water in them. (she's not a regular soda drinker or anything :P)

I would just keep offering her the straw sippys, she'll get it eventually. There is nothing to worry about. 

• Options
    OK Ladies thanks. Yea I just give her the cup with her meal and let her play with it until she's bored with it. She seems to like the straw kind the best so I will stick with those. I just didn't know if maybe I was going about it the wrong way.

April '14 Siggy Challenge:

god damn you're so effing cute gifimage

• Options

DD started around 10 or 11 months. I started drinking out of a travel mug and a starbucks frapp looking cup that has a straw and the more she saw me drinking out of them she wanted to too so I would let her try mine (always water in it). She eventually wanted them bad enough to hold them on her own so I started giving her the child size sippys with straws and she was hooked :)

• Options
    I started giving LO one around 6 months with just a little water in it to get him used to using one. I would put it out while he was eating or having a snack. It took him a while to get the hang of it and started out chewing on the spout but then figured out how to suck and get what was in the cup. GL!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers ANGELS ARE GIVEN WINGS AND TAKEN BACK TOO SOON --- We love and miss you soo much Kacie Rae --- 9/11/10 --- born sleeping at 29wks2d
  • Options
    Around a year old.
  • Options

About 6.5 months, but he just played with it, no drinking.  I'd say 9 months he started drinking a little here and there.  By 11 months he would drink water out of it no problem.  He's just shy of 14 months and still not completely switched over to a sippy for "bottles". 

He always gets sippys with water/juice. He gives me issues with drinking milk out of them though.  I figure he will when he's ready.  I wouldn't worry about it.  I'd just let her explore.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"